Hobbycraft 1/32 A-36/P-51 - Advice?

Derek B

Hopefully, the sets will finally arrive...

The main shape problem with the kit is the nose air intake as Hobbycraft did not reproduce correctly the variations of the nose air intakes. As aforementioned, the Aires P-51B well may be used as well as TD wheels. For the pit, up to now, relying on kit parts and some aftermarket elements for the B (Aires/Eduard) is the only solution but it is not so difficult to get a correct result

Another problem is the camera and the variants of its specific window.

Guns are indeed available in some boxes but you may politely forget them as they are very toy-like...

Hopefully, the sets will finally arrive...

The main shape problem with the kit is the nose air intake as Hobbycraft did not reproduce correctly the variations of the nose air intakes. As aforementioned, the Aires P-51B well may be used as well as TD wheels. For the pit, up to now, relying on kit parts and some aftermarket elements for the B (Aires/Eduard) is the only solution but it is not so difficult to get a correct result

Another problem is the camera and the variants of its specific window.

Guns are indeed available in some boxes but you may politely forget them as they are very toy-like...

Thanks Thierry. I think that In shall wait and see what Sergey produces first, then if there are still any areas that need addressing (as you have highlighted), then I shall try and mop those up?

Thanks

Derek

Well, I have just had word back from Sergey (Vector Models), and he is about to release quite an extensive range of AM parts for the HC P-51/A-36 this summer, so it looks like all of the bases will be pretty well covered by Vector already.

At a minimum, hopefully your query will motivate him to get those sets out, as they've been "announced" for quite some time :)

Doug

img194.jpg

guys, i just stumbled on this thread, and dug into my stash and found this IPMS/USA product, which covered detailing parts for both 32nd and 24th scale Mustangs.

I was lucky to receive some sets a whole lot of years ago, somewhere in the eighties, and it had PE parts on a rubber backing sheet, you just had to pop 'm out, and it had parts to build up the speedbrakes for the Invader stang version as well.

Don't know if these sets are still available or OOP, but it was one way to detail some models at that time.

img195.jpg

Jack.

Edited by Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Just received the Mushroom Book, very nice indeed and a must buy if you have the Mustang I/A-36 kit, unsurprisingly the book just focuses on the A-36 :whistle: , has a forward-facing cockpit drawing a'la Maru Mechanic - pity there wasn't one rear-facing, but there are quite a few period cockpit photo's, also has some great profiles, some of which coincidentally are provided on Eli's decal sheet http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ZTZ32034 all good stuff! :thumbsup:

Guest Vulcan32

Hello,

two weeks ago I got a MPM/CMK catalogue at a MPM-salesstand and there are early Mustangs listed as future releases in the Special Hobby range. These are:

SH32005 P-51 Mustang

SH32012 P-51A Mustang

SH32014 A-36A Apache

further they have listed:

SH32011 Yakolev Yak-3

SH32020 Fiat G.55

SH32021 Macchi MC.200 early

SH32035 D-3801 "Swiss Neutrality Patrol"

SH32037 T-2 Buckeye

SH32041 V-173 Flying Pancake

SH32044 Fiat G.50

SH32048 F-80 Shooting Star

SH32050 T-33 T-Bird

So let´s see what the future will bring. It seems that MPM will release some kits they produced for other companies in the past(PACModels, CzechModel). That´s good for Europian customers, because these kits were hard to get and very expensive here.

Greetings, Heinz

A Flying Pancake? Wow, that is a fun one for the collection. Next thing you know we could even see the other version in blue Navy colors as was done in 1/48 (with Bugs Bunny nose art). It is just an amazing time to be a fan of 1/32 kits.

Tnarg

I do recall an article many years (mid '80s maybe) ago in FSM where someone converted a 1/32 P-51D into an H. Obviously, every, or nearly every, part had to be modded. The best I can recall it did look like a P-51H in the pics. I'm wondering now, without looking at pics or drawings, if it might be as well cutting up one of Tigger's F-82 fuselages. I for one like the P-51H & wouldn't mind having one or two in 1/32. Right there along with an F4U-5. At least i have the Combat kit for it. :)

Like a different plane different. It almost resembles a home built replica than a P-51

17-106xn.jpg

DSC_2229%20P-51H%20N551H%20left%20front%20landing%20l.jpg

DSC_2226%20P-51H%20N551H%20left%20front%20in%20flight%20l.jpg

• 5 years later...

And that is the current plan. There is so much work to do on this kit that I am inclined to save time wherever possible. Vector helped with a terrific cockpit set and wheels are easy to come by, there is still a lot of room for using "creative model skills".

Brian

And that is the current plan. There is so much work to do on this kit that I am inclined to save time wherever possible. Vector helped with a terrific cockpit set and wheels are easy to come by, there is still a lot of room for using "creative model skills".

Brian

I took a look at he exhaust tips in the kit and figured I will at least give it a try hollowing it out. I think I have a plan, I will try to use a razor saw to cut a slot, then close the ends with filler.