1/32 recovered B-17 - UPDATE 12/10/13 - FINISHED - YAY!

richdlc

• 2 weeks later...

*update 19th September 2012*

Hello everyone!

Here's a small update to the B-17 build.

I've been working away on the area just behind the flight deck, which houses the top turret, some oxygen bottles, hydraulic fluid tank & accumulator and some other random bits.

First up is the front of bulkhead No. 4, which separates the compartment from the bomb bay. I needed to make a bank of instruments and dials, and the hydraulic fluid tank & accumulator. I noticed on closer inspection that these items were recessed into the bulkhead - as I'd not taken this into account I first needed to scratch a fascia with some indentations in it for the various bits.

Here's what I'm looking at (images taken from the 'Aero Detail' and 'Walk Around' books for illustrative purposes only):

to the rear of the compartment, looking through open door into bomb bay - you can see instruments etc mounted on both sides of the door opening - (in the third picture, the instrument panel on the right is missing)

IMG_2987_zps8b76cb49.jpg

IMG_2985_zpse8bb89e4.jpg

IMG_2983_zps8c4efd8f.jpg

I started off with the extra fascia with recessed bits:

IMG_2931_zps5c30beb9.jpg

rear view:

IMG_2932_zps38333ac8.jpg

IMG_2933_zps56d6ad61.jpg

I then made the hydraulic fluid tank:

IMG_2967_zps0c6f561a.jpg

IMG_2969_zpsac4eb651.jpg

IMG_2970_zps0824532f.jpg

and the accumulator:

IMG_2971_zps43660e8d.jpg

some mounting bits:

IMG_2972_zps9aad0c74.jpg

here's what they look like dry-fitted:

IMG_2974_zpsf960d839.jpg

IMG_2973_zpsae9dbc08.jpg

there's a generator/pump affair on the sloped side panel below these two - some aircraft had a fabric covering on all of the walls (excluding this part) in the compartment, and that's what I will do....later. For now I need to make these bits that will be visible:

image form the 'Walk Around' book:

IMG_2984_zpsf24e96b0.jpg

and the aero detail book - note subtle differences - great for me as there is no 'right' or 'wrong' depiction!

IMG_2982_zpsf81614fc.jpg

I made a start on this part - lots more wiring to add as the build progresses:

IMG_2975_zps3ce200b4.jpg

IMG_2976_zps77d7131c.jpg

another dry-fit to illustrate - immediately in front of and next to the generator unit is a bank of oxygen bottles...it'll be a tight fit but should be OK.

IMG_2977_zpsc79aab17.jpg

I also made the bank of dials and gauges on the R/H side of the bulkhead wall:

IMG_2930_zps8764162f.jpg

IMG_2934_zps00ea0206.jpg

IMG_2979_zps275a2882.jpg

remember the little instrument box from the previous update (on the floor next to the pilot) ?

385.png

Here it is painted up:

IMG_2981_zpsb3bedbd5.jpg

Finally for now, here's the control yokes - plastic sheet, strip & rod with approximate gauge wire for the wheels - there's a spotlight mounted on each (on opposite sides) which I replicated from thin plastic rod & coiled wire. The canvas boots are tissue paper soaked in superglue with little triangles of plastic sheet for the zippers. I left the wheels glossy (as evidenced in reference pics) and hand-painted the Boeing logos - hard to see in the final pic I posted because of reflection.

373.png

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2988_zps776da780.jpg

that's it for now, as always, feedback & questions welcomed

cheers,

Rich

Edited by richdlc

thanks guys, it's nice to get such positive feedback. :)

I'm trying to get as much done as possible before HK Models releases its kit....and we'll have dozens of in progress threads lol. I should have started this a year ago, hey ho...

I think some bits are out of scale too, as I am working by eye...but again it should be OK when viewed overall

Edited by richdlc