Paul W

1/32 Tempest

I say we should start a boycott on MPM since they are keeping good kits away from us modelers by making annoucements that discourage others who would actually release a kit from doing so! :thumbsup:

Doug

I'd say Trumpeter is far worse about this kind of stuff. Where is my Devastator? Weren't the Intruders supposed to be out over two years ago?

The only MPM kits I can think of that haven't come out yet are the Tempest and IAR-80. Someone said a Whirlwind was rumored, but that was just mentioned in passing with no hard evidence.

I would love a good Tempest kit. Derek, maybe you can put that back on the conversion list? The Hobbycraft Sea Fury is a pretty cheap kit, and could use a lot to make it look good, so changing it to a different aircraft would solve the problems with it!

Matt :party0023:

I would love a good Tempest kit. Derek, maybe you can put that back on the conversion list? The Hobbycraft Sea Fury is a pretty cheap kit, and could use a lot to make it look good, so changing it to a different aircraft would solve the problems with it!

Matt :party0023:

The Tempest is definitely a much needed kit Matt, and I think that Paul should release it as such - I am only offering what I suppose is just a cost effective 'stop gap' conversion that will enable modellers to have a Tempest of some form now rather than later?

Cheers

Derek

The Tempest is definitely a much needed kit Matt, and I think that Paul should release it as such - I am only offering what I suppose is just a cost effective 'stop gap' conversion that will enable modellers to have a Tempest of some form now rather than later?

Cheers

Derek

Derek I understand if you would rather not say....but what is the deal with the MDC effort? I remember several years ago you put a ton of work into the masters....and supposedly someone saw a nearly complete MDC Tempest at a model show in the UK. I don't pretend to understand the economics of the model industry, but it seems that with that much time and effort put into development of a specific kit, the only sure way to lose is to decide not to release it.

I know I am preaching to the choir here....but we have god knows how many BF109 kits, all sorts of 1/32 scale kits of German jets and what not, we have 1/32 kits of one-off air racers (which I love, not complaining). We have a 1/32 Storch...a 1/32 Brewster Buffalo...a 1/32 X-15.....I could go on and on....and somehow the Tempest has continued to fall through the cracks. It was not only a fully operational and historic aircraft, but IMHO a very appealing and interesting one as well.

I don't get it.

Cheers

Derek

Derek I understand if you would rather not say....but what is the deal with the MDC effort? I remember several years ago you put a ton of work into the masters....and supposedly someone saw a nearly complete MDC Tempest at a model show in the UK. I don't pretend to understand the economics of the model industry, but it seems that with that much time and effort put into development of a specific kit, the only sure way to lose is to decide not to release it.

I know I am preaching to the choir here....but we have god knows how many BF109 kits, all sorts of 1/32 scale kits of German jets and what not, we have 1/32 kits of one-off air racers (which I love, not complaining). We have a 1/32 Storch...a 1/32 Brewster Buffalo...a 1/32 X-15.....I could go on and on....and somehow the Tempest has continued to fall through the cracks. It was not only a fully operational and historic aircraft, but IMHO a very appealing and interesting one as well.

I don't get it.

Both fair points actually.

I have to say though having really not given this serious thought till now.................I would think, as nice as his Fb.11 is, that somehow making a conversion for his own kit would be both a money maker, and a easier to do since he made the Fury himself................

However not being a kit manufacturer, nor a retailer of any kind I guess Im not really in a position to speak on that. BUT, I guarantee that I would buy a Tempest conversion if FM&P OR Eclipse came out with one.

I have to say though having really not given this serious thought till now.................I would think, as nice as his Fb.11 is, that somehow making a conversion for his own kit would be both a money maker, and a easier to do since he made the Fury himself................

However not being a kit manufacturer, nor a retailer of any kind I guess Im not really in a position to speak on that. BUT, I guarantee that I would buy a Tempest conversion if FM&P OR Eclipse came out with one.

I suspect....and maybe a Fisher rep can weigh in....it would be easier to make a new kit than to do a conversion kit for the Sea Fury. In fact I am pretty sure of it. About the only thing that could be used untouched from the Sea Fury kit would be the main gear legs....and that is a maybe.

I don't get it.

I fully agree with you Bryan. The 'nearly complete airframe' at Telford was an ID models vacform kit Tempest wing set that I quickly built and temporarily attached/mocked up onto the Tempest fuselage master pattern for display purposes until I made the new one-piece master pattern wing.

I do not know what Bob intends to do with the Tempest airfrafme patterns - I simply know that he felt like the market was not right to complete and release it - maybe he already knows something we don't as far as other Tempest releases go?

You are correct that not a great amount of the HC Sea Fury would be left after conversion, but it is indeed 'doable' as a means of making a Tempest (I have already looked at the breakdown and know what is needed), plus if engineered correctly, would work for both Tempest I and II variants - but I do conceed that the effort is not that far from producing a full kit...maybe we shall have to wait and see what happens eleswhere as far as a full kit is concerned?

However, I really do share your thoughts and feelings about having produced a full kit only to have to shelve it with no uncertainty of knowing what to do with it because you do not know what others are intending to do? (this happens all too often these days - resulting in no kit or multiple releases of the same kit at the same time!).

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

The Tempest is not the only Brit missing link... In fact besides the Merlin Spitfire, nearly all other British WW2 planes are neglected for decades...

Hurricane? old dog from Revell and short run from PCM but NO late mark!

Typhoon? old dog from Revell and hopefully the MDC release

Beaufighter and Mosquito? again only the old dogs from Revell

Lysander? Matchbox release...

Gladiator? excellent BUT very expensive resin kit

Whirlwind???

Defiant???

Bleinheim???

Meteor???

Firefly???

Etc.

and don't ask me to mention fifties/sixties planes... This is even worse...:-((

This is really frustrating...!

The Tempest is not the only Brit missing link... In fact besides the Merlin Spitfire, nearly all other British WW2 planes are neglected for decades...

Whirlwind???

Defiant???

Bleinheim???

Meteor???

Firefly???

Etc.

I agree with you Thierry :(

Derek

Whirlwind???

Defiant???

Bleinheim???

Meteor???

Firefly???

Etc.

Agreed...and as for me I would definitely buy a decent kit of about half of those.... Particularly the Whirlwind, Firefly, late Hurricane, Typhoon,...and of course Tempest. I already have built both the Revell and MDC Typhoons....but a state of the art Tamiya caliber Typhoon would really be nice. Some of the others would be too big for me personally....but desireable kits nonetheless.

I would be curious to hear from someone in the industry, as to why all these aircraft have been ignored for so long. There has to be a reason....the Luftwaffe has been covered vastly better than the RAF...even down to relatively obscure Luftwaffe aircraft.

Edited by Bryan

Hurricane has not been ignored: we have the excellent 1/24th series from Trumpeter and I bet most manufacturers will stay clear as they know Trumpy could quickly down-size them and maybe some day they will???

Revell could have opted for a Tempest instead of a P39 :wacko: if their motivation was to make an allied bird this time 'round.

Why that would have been a better choice in my opinion? Because the Tempest looks cool and the P39 looks like it's powered by a rubber band.

Revell could have opted for a Tempest instead of a P39 :wacko: if their motivation was to make an allied bird this time 'round.

Why that would have been a better choice in my opinion? Because the Tempest looks cool and the P39 looks like it's powered by a rubber band.

:rofl:

You're bloody well right!!!!!!! ......I want some British aircraft..... and.......some Russian Figther...... :frantic: