Paul W

1/32 Tempest

Brian I am just getting the courage up to purchase some of the Sea Fury detail for my HC Sea Fury I bought just a couple of weeks ago. I have been hoping to find a 32 scale Hawker Tempest some where in the world

but alas if there is one it will probably be a vac kit and devoid of the fine detail you fellows produce. I am quite intrigued with the quality and accuracy of your whole product line, Not to mention a chance I may be able to influence you in any decision.

Something I would like to see you asked, well I have been also looking for a large scale Dodge Challenger T/A along with that Tempest, Maybe even a P-40B in 24 scale. Well thanks for the chance and keep up the exceptional work.

Paul

Guest Vulcan32

Hello,

HpH will not do the Tempest, because they have some informations that it will be released as injection molded kit by a Czech company.

Greetings, Heinz

Hello,

HpH will not do the Tempest, because they have some informations that it will be released as injection molded kit by a Czech company.

Greetings, Heinz

Go figure l am gathering info on building one from scratch/kit bash and l find this out . Well we will see as l think trumpeter was going to do one but unsure the scale and whether it will materialze at all

I *had* a cunning plan that involved a Hobbycraft Sea Fury (always wanted a Tempest II) - but I'm keeping my powder dry on that one for now ;)

Iain

I gotta say....the quest for a decent 1/32 Tempest kit is becoming laughable.

MDC stated 5 or 6 years ago they were going to do one....now they say they are not because they heard MPM is doing one...as if the 5-6 year time lapse did not already cast doubt on their plan. HPH is not doing one because they heard MPM is doing one. Likewise Fisher is not interested because of the risk that MPM is doing one.... A couple of years ago Trumpeter pictures surfaced which might have been a Tempest (but were probably a Typhoon)....and this has thus far come to nothing.

YET...the rumor that MPM is doing a Tempest is waaayyy more tenuous, thin, and unconfirmed than MDC's stated intent 5 or 6 years ago....which never happened irregardless. I wager three or four years from now we will still be discussing when the MPM Tempest is coming out.....whereas the employee at MPM who started the rumor left years before for employment in the food industry...and nothing whatsoever is in the works.

Let me put it all to rest . I am doing a 1/32 Tempest kit in my garage. It will be injection molded and Tamiya quality. There, now all the manufacturers can simply point to this post and use it for their excuse to not do a 1/32 Tempest!

You're welcome! :innocent:

Edited by Bryan

Ive got one of Pauls Fb.11s................and its spectacular. Great kit.

Maybe a stupid question as I am not a Sea Fury nor Tempest expert but.....................how close IS, a SF to a Tempest...........or maybe I should say how much work would it be to turn an Fb.11 into a tempest?

I mean I know the wing is different, and so is the vertical tail, but would it take a completely new tool endeavor?

Edited by Out2gtcha

I *had* a cunning plan that involved a Hobbycraft Sea Fury (always wanted a Tempest II) - but I'm keeping my powder dry on that one for now ;)

Iain

same quest as you but like you now l do not know if l should or shouldn't ( depends on what Mark they bring out)

Ive got one of Pauls Fb.11s................and its spectacular. Great kit.

Maybe a stupid question as I am not a Sea Fury nor Tempest expert but.....................how close IS, a SF to a Tempest...........or maybe I should say how much work would it be to turn an Fb.11 into a tempest?

I mean I know the wing is different, and so is the vertical tail, but would it take a completely new tool endeavor?

It depends if you are talking about a Napier Sabre Tempest or a Bristol Centaurus Tempest. Either way, the wings are similar to a Sea Fury (but positioned differently) while the fuselage is very different.

I personally would be most interested in a Sabre powered Tempest. Probably the easiest (albeit expensive) way to build one (since no one seems to want to make a kit) would be to combine the Fisher Sea Fury wings and MDC Typhoon fuselage. You would need to:

• Lengthen the Typhoon fuselage between the windscreen and engine
  • Pretty much scratchbuild the Tempest vertical tail, as the Typhoon one is completely different
  • The Sea Fury wings are actually pretty similar to Tempest wings, but they would have to be "split" and moved outboard a significant distance. The leading edge intakes would have to be removed.

It would be pretty involved with a lot of scratchbuilding and filling. The most challenging part would probably be positioning the wings and blending them in. It is kind of hard to explain, but the Sea Fury wings are sort of mounted on the "bottom" of the fuselage, whereas the Tempest wings are more on the side. Like I said, lots of filler and sanding but it could be done.

I keep contemplating taking this on....because as you may have inferred I don't believe a Tempest kit is coming anytime soon.

Edited by Bryan

I did contemplate making a conversion set for the HC Sea Fury to make it into a Tempest II, but the reception seemed pretty luke warm to say the least? :(

Derek

I did contemplate making a conversion set for the HC Sea Fury to make it into a Tempest II, but the reception seemed pretty luke warm to say the least? :(

Derek

Really? I never heard about it.

I will admit my first choice would be a Napier powered Tempest....but I would build a Tempest II if one was available.

Really? I never heard about it.

I will admit my first choice would be a Napier powered Tempest....but I would build a Tempest II if one was available.

Well Bryan, I wouldn't be able to compete directly with anything that Paul would wish to market as a full kit, however, my conversion would be a very cost effective way of getting a Tempest, and, if I engineer it correctly, the break down could accommodate the Napier engine - so it could be possible to have both variants.

Cheers

Derek

I gotta say....the quest for a decent 1/32 Tempest kit is becoming laughable.

MDC stated 5 or 6 years ago they were going to do one....now they say they are not because they heard MPM is doing one...as if the 5-6 year time lapse did not already cast doubt on their plan. HPH is not doing one because they heard MPM is doing one. Likewise Fisher is not interested because of the risk that MPM is doing one.... A couple of years ago Trumpeter pictures surfaced which might have been a Tempest (but were probably a Typhoon)....and this has thus far come to nothing.

YET...the rumor that MPM is doing a Tempest is waaayyy more tenuous, thin, and unconfirmed than MDC's stated intent 5 or 6 years ago....which never happened irregardless. I wager three or four years from now we will still be discussing when the MPM Tempest is coming out.....whereas the employee at MPM who started the rumor left years before for employment in the food industry...and nothing whatsoever is in the works.

Let me put it all to rest . I am doing a 1/32 Tempest kit in my garage. It will be injection molded and Tamiya quality. There, now all the manufacturers can simply point to this post and use it for their excuse to not do a 1/32 Tempest!

You're welcome! :innocent:

Agreed, if we had everything that MPM claimed they were going to release, there would be an extra 50+ LSP kits out right now. IMHO those guys are the worst at claiming they are going to release something just to mark their territory and keep others from releasing it. If I win the lotto someday, I'll start my own model company and release everything those guys annouce they are going to do without having a kit ready faster and offer them for less money just to teach them a lesson. :angry2:

Also note our own Radu is now not sure he is going to release his IAR-81 kit because those d-bags have said they are going to do one (yeah right)...

I say we should start a boycott on MPM since they are keeping good kits away from us modelers by making annoucements that discourage others who would actually release a kit from doing so! :thumbsup:

Doug