1/32 PBY Catalina (HPH Models)

jreago01

http://amg.cdc.cz/kat109.html

Wow - this might have been old news for awhile, last year. But very interesting, though potentially very expensive. Any thoughts?

I personally would love one, however I recall reading many times how the R/M 1/48 one didn't sell well in the 90s, so perhaps that might be built into the most-likely very high prospective price.. I can't imagine thins one being less than $200-300.. if we're lucky.

John

Yesterday i have seen the model in real life.

Its huge and beautifull with many details.

Im also wondering what the price tag will be.

mark

Mark,i was there as well and asked one of the guys behind the display table about the price, and he surprised me by saying..........600 euros....I myself more or less surprised (maybe insulted him by doing so??) him by responding: "you've got to be kidding!!!!!"...and walked away.

But on checking the dutch LHS site, i saw the price tag would be around 250 to 300 euros, still hefty, but i think i'll just start saving for it, a very cool model.

jack.

Mark,i was there as well and asked one of the guys behind the display table about the price, and he surprised me by saying..........600 euros....I myself more or less surprised (maybe insulted him by doing so??) him by responding: "you've got to be kidding!!!!!"...and walked away.

But on checking the dutch LHS site, i saw the price tag would be around 250 to 300 euros, still hefty, but i think i'll just start saving for it, a very cool model.

jack.

Sadly, as it now seems, the price is provisional http://www.aviationmegastore.com/consolidated-pby5a-catalina-expected-mid-2012-hph32016r-hph-models-hph32016r-scale-modelling/product/?shopid=LM4f22bb81bb0f564f6375dfd590&action=prodinfo&parent_id=0&art=103643

...i know Andy, i know, but the guy surprised me by saying 600, this is really getting preposterous!

I was there as well and Mirek (he was the guy behind the table) told me the price tag would be around 500-600 Euros. I think that price is indicative and that we'll have to wait untill the kit is released. It is a huge model that will use a lot of resin and casting rubber and that can't come at a low price.

Hans

Hm, 300 € for such a huge amount of resin sounds to me like quite an occasion. 500 - 600 sounds more realistic to me...

...at that price tag its going to be an item for a rather exclusive clientele... :rolleyes:

It will be Tamiya resin..The detail is of that quality.

And the famous English test pilot Eric brown was there too, signing his books. He is 94 years old and still going strong.

Edited by Hans

...i know Andy, i know, but the guy surprised me by saying 600, this is really getting preposterous!

I think you were lucky to be able to walk away, think I would have just keeled-over, but like you I think I'll start saving...

I was looking at a Hase Fokker Dr1 today and it was $649.oo so I don't think this price is out of line for a limited run large kit :shrug: assuming the quality is there.

the quality was and is there, but then again.......

I know it may be exceptional quality and all but come on 600 Euro’s for a kit? No way on earth would I pay this much for a kit! 200-250 I could live with but 600 Euro’s buys me a lot of other kits and aftermarket. Just think this kind of money will probably buy you Matins Invader, Havoc, and Marauder and some change left over! Martin, where do I send the money!!

It's a lot of money, but likely in line with what you're getting in the box. The problem is that it's still a lot of money. Ferraris are expensive and give you a lot of car, but the price keeps them very prohibitive to buy. I'm sure some will buy them, but they will likely have a production run of 50. Well, maybe not even that many.

Look at the HML 1/18 Me-262. Here's a large model, well done, but the retail was $600-800us. Keep in mind this is a well liked subject and not like the PBY, which has a much smaller fan base. These sat around and didn't sell well. I finally got mine for around 300, over 50% off, from Great Models. I would imagine that the PBY will be in the same boat.

The Hasegawa 1/8 kits are extremely nice (but could use updating to take advantage of modern research) and if you've ever seen what's inside the box, $600 doesn't look so unreasonable. If you think about it, that's only 4 or 5 1/32 Trumpeter kits. How many of us have several times that many sitting in the stash?

The same thing about the price went on about a new mold studio scale X-Wing model. I think it's just a matter of sticker shock.

I'd buy one of the PBY's for $300 or $400us, but anything more, and I'd have a hard time with it. Not because it isn't worth it, but because it's not worth it to me. At around $1000us, I'll just have to wait until it's half off somewhere....

Chris

Edited by csavaglio