DaneBramage

Are y'all noticing Ju-88 prices dropping

I am seeing this at less than $40.00 in some online stores!! Is there any reason for this? Does it have anything to do with something coming out? Just need more money....

Edited by DaneBramage

I am seeing this at less than $40.00 in some online stores!! Is there any reason for this? Does it have anything to do with something coming out? Just need more money....

Just a guess mind you, but now that the initial surge has probably tapered off, retailers may just want to move them out to free up some capital for other purchases, rather than have them sitting on shelves unsold.

Excellent. How soon will the He-111 prices be scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Stephen

By the way, have you heard that Revell USA bought Revell Germany? I wonder what that will do to the new 1/32 kits that the combined company will be issuing?

Got a question about these Revell kits. I understand Revell Germany came out with a 1/32 JU-88 "Battle of Britain" version that was supposed to be awesome. Now there is a 1/32 JU-88 kit that was released in Jan 2012 but I think it's from Revell USA. Is there a difference between these kits?? Is this kit anywhere near as good as the new HE-111? Thanks.

Randy

Think I may have found the answer. This is from military modeler website:

"Revell USA is releasing the Revell Of Germany ( RoG ) 1/32 Ju-88 and 1/32 He111 in their own boxing. By the looks of it there is one extra decal set but no other word on any other changes if any. So if you see the Ju-88 with the product code 85-5986 or the He111 with 85-5628 then that’s why."

Kinda apprehensive about Revell USA. I remember the crap I used to build as a kid...

Honestly, it probably tells you something about the true popularity of gigantic plastic model airplanes. Don't get me wrong - I love to see them doing it, but I honestly just don't see it being a long term profitable enterprise. Once your house is full of 1/32 He111s and B-17s, where are you going to put the furniture and the kids?

Randy - As of about two weeks ago, Revell GmbH (Germany) and Revell-Monogram in the US are once again owned by the same folks. Even when they weren't, they still cooperated closely. Any kit you see in both company's boxes is the exact same plastic. No difference whatsoever except the box, the instruction sheet, and the decal.

Edited by jrh

Excellent. How soon will the He-111 prices be scraping the bottom of the barrel?

Stephen

By the way, have you heard that Revell USA bought Revell Germany? I wonder what that will do to the new 1/32 kits that the combined company will be issuing?

Revell USA has also released a ProModeller version of the He-111. GMW has it for $65 (as opposed to $39 for the Ju-88), but I haven't checked other places.

Honestly, it probably tells you something about the true popularity of gigantic plastic model airplanes. Don't get me wrong - I love to see them doing it, but I honestly just don't see it being a long term profitable enterprise. Once your house is full of 1/32 He111s and B-17s, where are you going to put the furniture and the kids?

Randy - As of about two weeks ago, Revell GmbH (Germany) and Revell-Monogram in the US are once again owned by the same folks. Even when they weren't, they still cooperated closely. Any kit you see in both company's boxes is the exact same plastic. No difference whatsoever except the box, the instruction sheet, and the decal.

Thanks jrh... Guess I'll pull the trigger on the JU-88 then. Especially if it's anywhere as good as the HE-111

Also, kids are long gone and furniture is overrated anyway!!

The newer releases of both the Ju-88 and He-111 are boxed as "Pro-Modeler" which oddly used to be a boosted series with extras, not cheaper!

Anything different with these besides the markings? If not, what does "Pro-Modeler" mean now?

I looked at the sprues and they appear to be the same to me. The major difference to me is on the decals there's the you-know-what that the Europeans rightfully detest. I can't tell if they are cartograf though.

Edited by DaneBramage

Anything different with these besides the markings? If not, what does "Pro-Modeler" mean now?

I've only ever built one of the older Pro-Modeler branded kits, which was their reboxing of the old Monogram Do 335. Having recently acquired an original Monogram boxing, I can see the differences. The PM version included decals by Scalemaster (some of the best kit decals I've ever used), some photo-etched parts, replacement wheels that were ridiculously flat and bulged, and much better instructions.

The only other Pro-Modeler kit I built was the recent D-11 in 1/48, and apart from the D-11 specific parts, it was a standard plastic IM kit.

Kev