Need advice or linkies for the "salt technique" and

JRutman

Salt tech works only with water based paints. It's best to use rock salt and try to crunch it down your self but I have found in experimentation that "haggis" is right. if you are trying to mimic whitewash that has washed or been wiped off, study pictures and see if you see a lot of what these techniques depict in scale. I rarely see it. Right now I am experimenting with acrylic on top of enamel which people say you cannot do. WRONG. That's only true with GLOSS enamel you can't get anything waterbased on gloss paint that is solvent or oil based.

But matte enamels are different they give the acrylic something to bite into and when you seal it with something like a dull coat or gloss coat it's fine.

I have been playing with enamel base with thin acrylic washes of white over russian armor. I see mucho pics of this drippy multi coat effect that was often applied in the field with mops and brooms.

I remember learning about salt in Watercolor class in College (I got that useful in life FINE Art Degree...) neat effect and I have seen some neat stuff done with it modeling (The best by an awesome gentleman named Chris Ludwig) but I think it's impractical due to drying time plus experimentation time. JMO

I got a DVD of the great Mig Jiminez painting a 1/24 PzII all done with acrylics and chipping done with brush. Looks outstanding.

Salt tech works only with water based paints.

Actually the method works with any type of paint. Here is a link to an explanation on how it works. It can be a very effective way to represent chipping if done correctly. It is purely using salt crystals as little tiny paint masks over silver paint.

salt method explained