flyboy9994

Might as well!! Dragon 1/32 Mustang

OK... You guys got me all fired up so I guess I'll jump in even though it's getting pretty dang late. This is going to be my prep kit for the Tamiya Mustang. Kinda hoping to get warmed up I guess. Got a few days off so I should be able to get something done... I hope! Nothing fancy. Straight OOB with kit decals. Petie 2nd just like the box art. Here we go!

d7ed5463.jpg

Hey all. Started my 1/32 Dragon Blue Nose today and am following the color callouts in the Tamiya directions since I pretty much use Tamiya for averything anyway. Is the Yellow/Green mix at 2:1 working OK? (2 parts F3 flat yellow to 1 part F5 flat green)

Concerning the tank behind the engine mounted on firewall: Tamiya calls for the yellow/green mix mentioned above but I have seen zinc chromate and a bright gloss yellow. Any thoughts?

Not too concerned with historical accuracy but would like to be close. Building Pettie 2nd blue nose. Thanks

Randy

P.S. Dragon color callouts in this kit almost non-existent... They make a much better armor kit!!

Well... Mixed up the green as per Tamiya and it looks like chromate for sure. Very bright but I used it anyway. Got a few things done on day 1.

Started like this at 9:00 a.m.

de72b550.jpg

Ended the day with engine done, some painting and started cockpit.

22d4ddcf.jpg

e50f799b.jpg

Really not sure about the green but it's there to stay...

Edited by flyboy9994

Hey all. Started my 1/32 Dragon Blue Nose today and am following the color callouts in the Tamiya directions since I pretty much use Tamiya for averything anyway. Is the Yellow/Green mix at 2:1 working OK? (2 parts F3 flat yellow to 1 part F5 flat green)

Concerning the tank behind the engine mounted on firewall: Tamiya calls for the yellow/green mix mentioned above but I have seen zinc chromate and a bright gloss yellow. Any thoughts?

Not too concerned with historical accuracy but would like to be close. Building Pettie 2nd blue nose. Thanks

Randy

P.S. Dragon color callouts in this kit almost non-existent... They make a much better armor kit!!

I believe what they are going for is a green zinc chromate or a yellow zinc chromate. Personally, I just use the Model Masters version of either one (or both), that way I don't have to worry about mixing anything and the consistency is always the same. I wouldn't worry too much about the tank on the firewall, there were so many variations in painting during the war you'd probably be right with either one. I have a friend that was restoring a real P-38 that was a crash recovery with original paint from WW2 and it had both yellow and green zinc chromate used throughout.

Thanks for the reply Cpig

I believe your right about the numerous different greens and it seems as if any combination will be correct. I have noticed a few models using the yellow chromate in the engine bay and wheel wells with a darker green chromate in the cockpit. I kinda like that look and may do that with my Tamiya. Going to hit it again in the a.m. More pics to come.

Randy

A good day at the bench. Got a few things accomplished. Not super detailed by any means but progressing nicely. Fuselage went together well. The wings were pretty warped but came out OK in the end but wing to fuselage fit is going to be a definite challenge. Also tried PE seat belts for the first time ever. Used the ones that came with the kit. Kinda cheesy looking but good practice.

f9061686.jpg

c9d419cd.jpg

d72b363a.jpg

79d3d62f.jpg

4be228db.jpg

669f6de1.jpg

4b2ed1a0.jpg

bd4f32b2.jpg

1180b536.jpg

Randy, one suggestion if I may! Take the seat assembly and lean it back a LOT more, so it basically almosts rests against the front of the battery compartment. The way it's sitting right now, there's no way a pilot could climb into that 'pit and his face would be about an inch from the gunsight....if that! Know what I mean? Other than that, looks great. Keep it going!

Here's mine that I finished about 6 months ago....

P-51DDaddyRabbit3.jpg

P-51DDaddyRabbit5.jpg

P-51DDaddyRabbit6.jpg

John

Edited by jgreiner

Hey John

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking the same exact thing about the seat for sure. Way too far forward and I wish I would have caught it earlier. I glued it in pretty good and already closed up the fuse but I think I can get it leaned back as suggested. Your Mustang looks fantastic. Great inspiration to get mine done. Thanks again John.

Randy