Fraser Nash and Boulton Paul gun turrets

ironman1945

Gents

I was searching for some refs for my ID Models 1/32 Boulton Paul Defiant, specifically for the gun turret.

Found this very interesting training film on gun turrets..............well, at least I thought it was kind of interesting.

My wife found it a little dry to say the least. :doh: :doh:

You can find it here.

Dave/Ironman1945

Maru

I agree with what you say about using these turrets while airborne. Seems rather cramped and claustraphobic, to say the least.... remarkable that they were able to hit a target at all, never mind another aircraft.

Dave/Ironman1945

Maru

I believe the announcer says (when the gunner first gets in the turret) that the procedure has in fact changed and that he gunner is now to wear his chute.

However, I still wouldnt want to be the gunner...have to swivel the turret to one side or the other to bail out; odds are at that point your hydralics have failed/your on fire... and then, all that bulk of clothing and the parachute trying to get out of that small space, with hopefully the turret doors not being jammed....

Nope, wouldnt want that job.

Dave/Ironman 1945

many gunners were trapped in defiants that were shot down & they couldn't escape...wouldn't wish their job on anyone. By all accounts though they were all extremely eager to go into combat.