RFI - Foiled RAAF Hasegawa P-40E

Out2gtcha

Best P-40 I've ever seen on this site mate!

Considering the techniques you have employed and getting weathering/decals etc onto the foil

it puts the "humble painters" into the shade!

Superbamundo!!!!!

:party0023: :blowup: :clap2: :clap2:

wow Brian, i'm really impressed, you're truly the "foil"king, just as beautiful as your Bearcat, great job, i wish i'd be able to produce a finish like this!!!

cheers,

jack.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian...

That's as close to 'real-looking' that you can get... The attention to detail is Superb !

I've climbed over a few 'Real' one's in my time and this one could fool me! :coolio:

Now I know what to aim for when I do mine!

Excellent Job Mate!

Phil

Thanks guys for all of the kind remarks about the Warhawk.

Funny enough, last wed I took the P-40 to my local IPMS meet that held the NATs last year, (there are a lot of really great guys in my IPMS club but some are just not into big stuff not matter how well something is done) and I had some really great responses, and met a fellow LSP modeler who lives in Omaha as well. His name is Gavin, and Im attempting to have join LSP................however its funny how some people react, even when things IMHO are done well, to large scale stuff: One regular (nice enough cat though) club member who specializes in 1/144 *SHUTTERS* stuff remarked upon looking it over for a few seconds:

"Isnt foil a big pain in the A#$?" I just laughed and said "sure". He wasnt really even interested in a response, it just seemed like more of a rhetorical question.

Other 1/72 *SHUDDERS AGAIN* club modelers, one especially that I dont care for, sat in their chairs, and were apparently too good to even get up and glance in the models direction, let alone go over and actually look at it.

It is what it is, but I have found a lot of the "hard core" 1/72nd and even some 1/144th modelers can be really kind of snobbish when it comes to large scale stuff. No big, as I laughed when the 1/144th guy came up to talk about the 4 or 5 models he had with him at the time, for he had to physically come up to talk about them because they were impossible to see on the table when sitting down............they were single seat 1/144th fighters, and from where I was sitting, looked like they would make better lapel pins than display models, but each to their own. :)

Hello Brian: great to see such an interesting subject - and project - finished. Certainly lots of interesting work on display along the way. Can I ask what you use for the aerial rigging? I've been using an invisable mending thread monofilament, but it changes tension with changes in ambient temperature/humidity. Very annoying - would be nice to have something that maintains tension. If you have the "DOTTIE II" masks surplus to needs I'd be keen to negitiate a new home for them. Cheers, Ralph.

Hey Ralph, thanks for the kind words. I used "E-Z Line" for the rigging. It is NOT temp sensitive, stretches 7 times its own length, is not suceptible to water and does not sag, and takes well to paint, permanent marker (for silver color if needed), and CA glue.

Yep, I still have Dottie II and you are welcome to them. Ill see if I can PM u and see if you still want em.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

OK Brian, so after you posted the pictures of the real airplane it's time to show us some scale model, isn't? ;)

Highly impressive work Sir. So clean and extremely realistic. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks VERY kindly for all the nice words an compliments.

Strange, I too really like the way it turned out (and definitely NOT there for the ackolades) as well, but I brought this lil guy to Omacon 2012 that just ended a bit ago and he got abosoutely 0 love; from the judges OR me.

I entered it in 1/32 prop against a weak showing of other prop 32nd planes (no offense to them its just I feel mine was as least as good). Didint even get a third place. The plane that DID finish in the third spot (A has Raiden) even had a giant thumb-print on the spinner. It was like there was some huge fault with it the judges caught that discounted it right away, but I am the MOST critical of my own stuff and didnt see anything like wings off, or wheels/tires out of alignment.

To add insult to injury, while out in the parking lot after the show, I had the P-40 in its box on top of the SU and the wind caught it and slid it off to the ground breaking the prop shaft off.

:rolleyes: Little bit of work to fix there but no big. Ah well, I just wish ther were more planes there period. Turnout was kinda low.

Thanks again,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha