Z M Douglas A1-H Skyraider

Out2gtcha

Thanks SO much for all the kind words fellas.........................Sure doesnt take much to get relegated to page 3 on the WIPs eh?

Back to progress (although from these pics it doesn't SEEM like there has been much work done, but there has).

I got the turtle decking on, as well as the cockpit surround parts. Firewall got painted and weathered -

DSC02257.jpg

Really only had some very minor fit issues here in this area where atm 2 and eventually 3 panels will come together -

DSC02258.jpg

While building I had "Avenger" my 1/2 scale paper Falcon patrolling the skies over my model room -

DSC02265.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02267.jpg

I also got the carb intake on. As was forcasted by previous reviews, there was a small gap at the top/rear of the carb intake piece. This was easily remedied by some filler.

In this case thick CA mixed with MicroBalloons -

DSC02259.jpg

Got the forward fuse sections on and blended in, as well as smoothing out the carburetor intake -

DSC02262.jpg

DSC02263.jpg

I also got a good jump on the engine -

DSC02261.jpg

I have now painted the engine block the appropriate gray, masked that, and have also shot the cylinders black in an effort to start teh detail painting before too much assembly passes.

More work to proceed this weekend, but NOW im off to check out and fondle some resin, as my beautiful 32nd Hs-129 B-3 just arrived from GMF!! YAY!!!

Cheers guys,

Brian

Looks great Brian! Looks like the Skyraider has a pretty great fit just like the Shinden. Can't wait to see where you go next with this one. The firewall looks good, hopefully you can open up the engine panels to show off the detail.

Keep it up man. Looking awesome! :speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Matt :party0023:

Great job! Fitting those panels together is not easy but you make it look that way. Great start on the engine as well. Pretty cool how the pistons are molded.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom. It is a very well fitting kit for sure. Personally I know its their "thing" to put engineering like this into their kits but for me, I think they would have been better off spending that R & D money/money to PUT the feature int the final kit, into other things like keeping the overall cost down, or including some of the AM things they offer.

I REALLY wish they would GO AWAY from the silver plastic they seem to be clinging to on most all of their kits. IMHO wish they'D get rid of all of the different colors and use the nice light grey they have the fuse in overall.

Looks great Brian! Looks like the Skyraider has a pretty great fit just like the Shinden. Can't wait to see where you go next with this one. The firewall looks good, hopefully you can open up the engine panels to show off the detail.

Keep it up man. Looking awesome! :speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Thanks for the kind words Matt. :D

Personally Im not a "panels open / engine open" kind of guy at all. For me a lot of the beauty of aircraft comes from its lines, shape, ect, ect. But when you start folding wings up for display, opening engine panels, and access hatches, for me it totally destroys the look of the lines.

In this case, ZM does not even give you that option really; for about 90% (or more) of the internal type parts they detail, they dont allow anyway for the builder to display all that engineering other than to physically cut open the required panel. Doesn't really make much sense to me..........but then again im not the open panels kind of guy, so I can leave all that stuff unpainted, and use it for structural rigidity instead.

Oh that's nice, and so's the Skyraider evil_laugh.gif

Seriously - great job on the build, it's great to watch it coming together so nicely.

Grant.

Thanks Grant, cheers. :) The kit is a real gem, its just a bit over-engineered with stuff Ill never use, so in that aspect, its a bit tedious in places, but has afforded me a quicker build than may have been possible otherwise, as I have already eliminated quite a few of the fiddly steps getting the working flaps to work...............and will eventually eliminate several more steps like this when it comes time to do the lower fuse dive break and the folding wings especially since I will be fixing my wings in the down position.

Cheers to all,

Brian

A paper falcon??? :wicked:

Do you want to tell me something, Brian? :coolio:

:ninja: :evil_laugh:

Avenger (taken from the "Harvy Birdman" cartoon) is from the Canon paper-craft site.................and YES, we plastic modelers can go over to the "Pulp-side" once in a while. :lol:

Their paper animals are really great. Although I stick to the mediums I am familiar with as far as aircraft go, the paper-craft site animals are really great. They have a very colorful Chinese Dragon I want to do.

They also have a future soaring buddy for Avenger in the form of a VERY complex (38 pages of patters!) Bald Eagle I want to do as well.

Love the paper animals, but as I am no expert in the pulp dept, Ill leave the aviation paper craft to the true experts. ;)

Brian

Thanks for the kind words Matt. :D

Personally Im not a "panels open / engine open" kind of guy at all. For me a lot of the beauty of aircraft comes from its lines, shape, ect, ect. But when you start folding wings up for display, opening engine panels, and access hatches, for me it totally destroys the look of the lines.

In this case, ZM does not even give you that option really; for about 90% (or more) of the internal type parts they detail, they dont allow anyway for the builder to display all that engineering other than to physically cut open the required panel. Doesn't really make much sense to me..........but then again im not the open panels kind of guy, so I can leave all that stuff unpainted, and use it for structural rigidity instead.

Cheers to all,

Brian

I know, that's the off thing about the Z-M kits. They provide all of the extra stuff, like fuel tanks, only to have it hidden away. But at least in the Shinden, they provided so much detail that could be seen, it balanced out. But it does all help the structure, which is why I put it all in, even if it wasn't fully visible.

Was hoping to see someone do it with the engine and everything open, but it's your call. I'm sure it will look really good no matter what. Especially with the markings you're putting on it. The blue pylons are so cool looking.

Keep up the great work, it's coming along nicely, hopefully you can get it put together quickly.