Z M Douglas A1-H Skyraider

Out2gtcha

Time to start the next episode guys. :D

I've wanted to start a build that would go together smoothly and hold my interest. Now that both the big SU and the P-40 are done, I can start my first project of the year:

The Zoukei Mura 1/32nd scale Douglas AH-1 Skyraider.

I've seen a few of these built and even a "WIP" but im honestly shocked I have not seen a single ground up build of one of these yet.

There has been a LOT of fuss over this kit for so few actual builds………..but I aim to change that. I'm gonna see what all the fuss is about.

This will, for all intense and purposes be my first OOB box build in, since I cant remember. The only real AM I am adding to this build are a set of HGW seatbelts, and an interment hood and gun sight from Harold. The markings and all other add on's are factory ZM products.

Lets get started……………

I do actually enjoy the obligatory "from scratch" what ur starting with pics………..so, here are the players in this next game:

ZM Spad kit and weapons set –

DSC03482.jpg

ZM color cockpit PE, weighted resin wheels and brass canon/pitot tube set –

DSC03487.jpg

HGW seatbelts –

DSC03488.jpg

Harold's AH-1 IP hood and gun sight –

DSC03489.jpg

The scheme I'll be going for is carrier air group 19 Commander, Bill Phillip's personal aircraft. This is a CAG bird of VA-52 "Knight Riders" squadron, flying off of the USS Ticonderoga as it existed in March of 1967 during the Vietnam war –

Skyraider252822529.jpg

The outboard pylons on this bird were painted dark Navy Sea blue as a tribute to the units Korean War lineage -

Skyraider252832529.jpg

I'm going with decals on this one, and sticking with a much more OOB style on this build.

The decals are basically OOB ZM decals made by Micro Scale and are very thin, crisply colored, and in perfect register –

DSC03486.jpg

yhst-70052297082953_2189_19695832.jpg

The instructions for the kit are well documented in pictures, and well laid out as far a I can tell –

DSC03484.jpg

Each "build chapter" has the section you will be working on highlighted in the start of the chapter –

DSC03485.jpg

It may take me a little while to get some progress on this big guy, but once I have something photo-worthy Ill continue to post and put all of my trials and tribulations up. This one should be fun and hope I can learn some things along the way………I always seem to!

Should be fun……..hope youll tag along for the ride!

Thanks all, and cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Perfect OOB project and going to be a blast to follow along. Keeps the pics and comments coming!

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn: :speak_cool:

Brian,

I will be watching this build. As soon as I get my new work bench done and paint booth built (just moved about a month ago) this is one of the first kits I will be building.

Mike

Looking forward to this one, just a couple of things, if you buy the ZM concept notes there is an additional stencil sheet with it, and a walkaround http://www.ipms.nl/index.php/walkarounds/walkarounds-vliegtuigen/556-walkaround-douglas-a1.html if you click on one of the pics you can access all 120 photos - though no doubt you've got plenty of references... :coolio:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to detail this one. I was recently very fortunate to recieve this kit as a gift from someone very special :wub: so I'm eager to see how everything goes together.

Enjoy the build.

Guy

Thanks guys, I just hope I can do it justice, but Im not really worried, for as we all know its the better kits that go together better. So in this case it will not take that much improvisation on my part to get things to where Id like them to be.

I literally just got done (albeit not by choice :rolleyes: ) taking some RFI shots of my previous last build, so I will likely be kicking this one off tonight or tomorrow; but not before I go to the camera store to buy a replacement digital camera. Mine just gracefully bounced onto the concrete lens first.

Good pic up on that walkaround Andy! Lots and lots of great pics in there. Yeah I do have some references but the ZM concept notes im sure had even better stuff...............I just blew my finaces for this project up front when I got sick of Volks USA running out of things and foolishly ordered everything from Volks Japan.

Ill get some pics up soon. Normally I would not get super duper detailed on step by step stuff, but in the case of this ZM spad, there have been so few real builds detailing the build, that I will likely be more inclined to take more pics (with a new camera of course) along the way just to show how things really do go together.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha