1/32 Mantz NX1204

xmh53wrench

Scored a Revell 1/32 P-51 B kit, ordered "Wet Wings & Drop Tanks" & Excalibur III so I can start researching and figuring out what I need to mod on the B to make it a C, and figure out how to make cuffless prop blades for my Paul Mantz NX1204 Race #46. I did find a pair of photos of what I believe is the red version, but with Glenn McCarthy's Latin American on the side, I hope to do this version. This should be circ. 1949 or later, as NX1204 was repainted Mantz Red for 1949, and became race 46.

Photo credits: San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives

5020731555_09273b7a8a_o.jpg

5021340362_46ecfc8249_o.jpg

Recieved the books and started the build Sunday night, here are a few in progress pics..

IMAG0446.jpg

IMAG0449.jpg

Reshaped a cuffed prop to resemble a cuffless Hamilton Standard

IMAG0451.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if you've seen these photos from the LIFE archives, but here ya go....

John

fa536841534b7179_large.jpg

0211b67d74966542_large.jpg

51bac07154947904_large.jpg

9205011ec5165ad7_large.jpg

These are only a few from my files. If you have a problem finding them yourself and would like to see more, let me know and I could send you the rest of what I have..

• 2 months later...

xmh53wrench.

How's it going? :hmmm:

Well.....I have really failed on keeping up with this one....

I managed to assemble the fuselage and wings. Get her all sanded and painted red....

And there it sits stagnated. I had a fellow get in touch with me who may know a fellow, who knew a fellow that may remember the exact coloring of the lettering. But have yet to hear back from him. I really dont want to paint the striping and lettering more than once, and I am really hoping that it doesnt end up being green. But, alas, if that is what it turns out being so be it. So I have shelved it awaiting further information :(

But here it is in all its red glory....

IMAG1110.jpg