PW's "Cackhanded Camel "

Panzerwomble

Ok, thought I’d have a go at doing a build log.

I doubt I’ll teach anyone anything , and to be honest I owe a lot of my attempt to Des Delatorre’s excellent website , if you want to see this done a lot better then look here -

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/

So ,still as a beginner to WW1 LSPs, here we go.

First off, choice of model: I like Camels, they are an iconic British fighter, and the Academy kit comes in cheap and relatively straightforward. A Triplane would be easier on the rigging, but I don’t like the look of them as much, and at £17 if the Camel goes badly then I won’t be as upset as wasting a £60 Wingnut Wings model.

So, what you get in the box? ….. er ….. same as most of injection kits . Couple of sprues, decals and a sheet of instructions.

Reading the Academy blurb about the Camel, curiously in the English version it says it shot down 1924 German planes, in the German translation it says 1294 …..hmmm not upsetting our German customers I wonder?

camel1.jpg

People say the ribbing on the wings is overdone so tackled this early. Took a while to rub them down, but was happy with the end result.

Camel2.jpg

I used Tamiya XF21“sky” as CDL not wanting to mix Humbrol enamels, and preshaded using a pencil. I’m taking JA Green XF13 as an approximation to the PC51. Reasonably happy with the results .

camel4.jpg

Finally decaling after drilling lots of holes for the rigging

shuttleworth003.jpg

Moving into the cockpit area, several areas that could do with improvement .

Frankly didn’t fancy trying to build a complete new cockpit, but had a go at making a more “wicker” chair .

Styrene base , 0.5mm tubing supports and the basket woven with copper wire. 4 hours later and deciding I must be getting close to insane , however pleased with the result as a first attempt . Might have a thought how to do it in an easier fashion if I go down this route again

camel5.jpg

camel6.jpg

Control panel .....mercilessly robbing ideas from Des's build log .

Base of styrene, painted with sand and oiled with Burnt Umber for wood effect . Airscale decals and a bit of brass work for the switches and gauge .

Some wire wrapped around top of the instrument column . Didn’t fancy having a go at scratch building the entire cockpit, just tackling what I feel comfortable with, hopefully do better next time . Did paint and line with graphite the inner cockpit sides, so hopefully won’t look too bad when viewed from outside. Finally removed the dodgy looking air intakes and relocated them for later. Will use 2mm brass tube when it’s all closed up .

camel10.jpg

DSCF1799.jpg

DSCF1796.jpg

DSCF1794.jpg

Not a bad start, and I use the same theory: do what I'm comfortable with and go from there. Have you considered dry brushing the seat? It may make it "pop" a little more. Looks good. I have one of these also, so it may move up the list.

Yeah! Love seeing the World War 1 stuff on here. It's one of those genres I've tried, but am far from mastering. This is looking great so far, your scratch-built seat is looking really cool, that's one of those details that can really set the build apart.

Keep it up, this is going to be great when it's done!

Matt :party0023:

More progress .

I must admit I don’t like the Academy Vickers guns much . They appear to have the barrels coming out of the top of the jacket at odds with every picture I’ve seen . In the end I replaced plastic the ends with a bit of brass to make them look a little more like the real thing.

The Clerget Engine ….nope didn’t fancy trying to make new push rods so a coat of dark gray, a coat of gunmetal and a dry brush with bright silver. Nuff said.

camel11.jpg

Cockpit closed up .

Sprayed the whole thing flat white to get a feel for the surface. Bit of filling ( not much) and then did the yellow sand / burnt umber for the plywood cockpit surround .

Spayed Humbrol metalcote over the engine panels and cowling, and then the green for the canvas. I used a trick I’ve learnt whilst spraying motorcycles, and that is spray silver over a white primer, and you get a really nice bright silver. Not planning on weathering this one too much so hopefully bright aluminium will fit with the plan . Did the filler cap replacement trick and used some brass to fill in the gap in the” hump” a bit

DSCF1801.jpg

shuttleworth001.jpg

shuttleworth011.jpg

The Academy model also seems to have a large gaping space between the guns, and certain looking at the Hendon Camel the cowling comes up much higher.Used a bit of brass to try to fill this in . With the guns in place seems a little more accurate

shuttleworth012.jpg

shuttleworth008.jpg

I’m aware the moment of truth is coming shortly with having to get the wings in position and then start the rigging. Will it be the end of this build log as I get so frustrated trying to tie this thing together with pixie hair and buckeyball tubing that the whole thing gets launched out the door ?

Still ,,,, I have 0.1mm wire, 0.5mm tubing a bloody big magnifying glass and a steady hand…..only 20 odd buckles to try to make then . Stay tuned, I maybe back or I may just sack it off and go for a beer.