Trumpeter F-117A WIP .... FINISHED!!!!

ericg

G'day,

Now the issue with the GBU-27's has been sorted, I have done a bit more work on them. I painted the bombs with a base coat of Tamiya Olive Drab, then post shaded/mottled the main body with a lightened batch of the same. I then masked the main body and painted the guidance head (including the FWD fins) and the rear fin assembley with a highly thinned batch of Olive Drab and Black Green to give them a `newer' look. I haven't gone overboard with the splitting up of the colours, as all of the reference photos that I have show the bomb to be mostly the same colour for the whole unit. I painted the yellow stripe with ModelMaster Insignia Yellow. I will be masking off most of the guidance head and painting it the Earth colour as seen in most references.

IMAG0157-1-1.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0161-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

I used the pro modeller black wash, and cleaned it out with great difficulty. I have gone back in and lightly touched up areas in that pic as well, as the black was very stark against the white.

I haven't done anything to this model for a while as I have been waiting for Caracal to release his decals, which has just happened last week and i believe the set is on the way. So hopefully with a couple of days of work it will be finished.

It seems as if this may not have been a popular seller for Trumpeter as I haven't seen any more builds on the net so far?

Eric.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day,

I got the brand new Caracal decals today, and I didn't hesitate in getting them on the aeroplane. Basically, if you have this model, then you NEED this decal set, as it corrects many very annoying flaws in the Trumpeter kit decals. I will be writing a review in the near future for this site, and it will be all good as Kursad has really done a fine job with this set. As a mad keen 1/32nd scale modeller, I would like to thank Caracal for their debut release in `our' scale and can only hope that they do more.

On initial inspection myself and Whitey (my LSP mate who happened to be over when the posty showed up) thought that they were way too dark, in fact I was initially dissapointed! The Trumpeter decals are pure white, and the Caracal ones are a medium/dark grey... I thought that I had read somewhere that he had intended on doing this so I pushed on and with the first application of the wing star and bar I could not have been happier.

Very well packed

IMAG0468-1.jpg

Some pics in my makeshift studio.... I promise I will get this one in the light tent when it is finished!

These pics where taken after the decals where applied and I am yet to give the plane a clean of all of the Microset/Sol residue.

IMAG0488.jpg

IMAG0489-1.jpg

IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0494-1.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

Some close ups. I am sure that I will spend the rest of my life cleaning this model, as the dark colour shows up everything! less than 5 minutes after application, all these white specks have settled all over the model.

IMAG0478-1.jpg

IMAG0482-1.jpg

IMAG0486-1.jpg

Eric.

Edited by ericg

Look guys, it is a great kit so don't hesitate in getting it. Just make sure you throw out the weapons sprues and engines because you won't need them and make sure you know someone who has an Academy FA-18 for the trottles and stick and know someone who has a Tamiya F-15 bunker buster for the GBU-27's that you can convert from the GBU-28's. And remember, you will need the Caracal decals!!

Here is the bomb carrier that attaches to the trapeze. There is no stencil data included in the kit, and as i am going through a bit of a `phase' with stencil data I thought I would dress them up with some of the brilliant airscale stencils as per my references. I am sure that Airscale didn't have this use in mind when they produced these but I think they do a good enough job for this application.

IMAG0509.jpg

Dressed up and dressed down

IMAG0511-1.jpg

Should look half decent hanging under the aeroplane

IMAG0514.jpg

I recently picked up this kit while working in China. Why? I haven't a clue. I don't even build jets! This tread however, iis really growing on me. Now where on earth am I going to find some Tamiya bunker busters?

Fantastic tread Eric.

Regards

Troy