Trumpeter F-117A WIP .... FINISHED!!!!

ericg

Viper, what is the story with the undercarriage? Do you want some better pics?

Yes, if you can post pics of the gear that would be nice.

There's a lot of detail missing from the Bomb bays, but then again all Trumpeter probably had to go on was the Tamiya kit. I recall wire harnesses and ECS ducts running up top and sides of the bay. I see you either replaced the Bomb bay Air Foils with thinner ones, or shaved down the "overly thick" kit foils. Either way, they look a lot more to scale now.

Just before DS (late 1990) the F-117 underwent a TCTO to replace the original heavy-blocky main struts with thinner (but stronger) struts which also have a round cross section. The main wheels and brakes were also retrofitted to the current type we see today. The late type struts are the ones represented by the Trumpeter kit and original Tamiya F-117, which also means the Trumpeter kit should also have the late type wheels and brakes.

Mike V

Hi again Dave,

I have had an even closer look at what you are saying and still maintain that the Tamiya GBU-28's, shortened to the GBU-27's are in fact quite correct in the way that I have depicted them.

I believe that the fin assembly from the GBU-27 and the 28's are the same. I have put these pictures below as a means to try and show you what I am talking about. (photos and graphics sourced from the net, with thanks to those that took them.)

In this photo, there is quite clearly a flange that starts immediatley before the leading edge of the rear fins which gives it a bulged look.

mystery.jpg

In this photo, the flange can be seen as a `panel line' ie; a different surface.

16.jpg

In this graphic, I reckon that the rear fin assembly is exactly the same.

p1344.jpg

Here is my GBU-28 shortened to a GBU-27 again. The only thing that I havent done yet is to scribe the panel line where the flange starts, as it is still a WIP.

IMAG0106.jpg

Hi Eric

Scribing that line will definitely help. I've had a look at the pictures and the 1/48 copies I have of the 27 (from the Tamiya F-1117 kit) and the 28 (Academy). The fin assembly that mates to the bomb casing should extend beyond the fins. I think that's what is throwing me about your conversion. At the moment, the scribed line mid-way through the fins looks like the start of the fin assembly.

I like to paint the fin assembly different colours from the bomb casing as it adds colour and interest, so to me it's important they're clearly differentiated. As you say, it's a WIP so you can scribe the flange.

Looking forward to seeing the finished Nighthawk...

beautiful build so far. One suggestion if its not too late. get rid of the ejection pin sink marks on the superstructure of the bombbay, they detract from you fine work.

Bruce

Hi eric (and all)

Great and admirable job.

I am sorry if my question is not relevant, I have two Testors kits and the Flightpath set. I would consider to purchase the Trumpy kit (since I like the plane), however only if it is a considerable improvement over the Testors release. I would love to hear an opinion of you guys, who already have laid your hands on the Trumpy´s plastic.

Thank you in advance.

Jozef

The big Testors kit has a number of shape and detail errors. I think it may also have the weapons bay doors incorrect in they are shown opening tfrom the center outward. I know at least one of the Testors kits had that, but don't remember which scale.

There is no comparison regarding shape accuracy. The Testors kit - as well as many other F-117 kits - has been designed when the first pictures of the plane became available. This did not allowed a thorough analysis of the plane geometry and resulted in multiple shape and detail accuracy problems.