Trumpeter F-117A WIP .... FINISHED!!!!

ericg

I also noticed on the upper fuselage raised LO strips... :hmmm:

yep a RPITA to remove I can tell you that. Also do you know by any chance any relation as to why the main gear doors differ from one bird to the next?? The ones in the kit have a bulge inside. But pictures show other types where there's no bulge but all straight bulkheads, if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Cheers Fred

Welcome.

yep a RPITA to remove I can tell you that. Also do you know by any chance any relation as to why the main gear doors differ from one bird to the next?? The ones in the kit have a bulge inside. But pictures show other types where there's no bulge but all straight bulkheads, if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Cheers Fred

Yeah, I can relate, as taking down the overly raised LO on the 48th Hasegawa Raptor kit is even more involved :BANGHEAD2:

Interesting about the MLG doors, as they are almost always closed; like the F-15. The trailing MLG fairing (it's not really called a gear door) are pretty much the same, aside from the early gear configuration, where those were a little different.

The MLG doors do have a recess bulge about the middle inside, as this allows for clearance of the MLG tire when retracted. Don't think those have ever not had the bulge; at least all the ones I worked. The only exceptions were the 1st two FSD jets, which had a near flat inside structure of the MLG doors, so there was no need for a recess or bulge.

Mike V

I gave the F-117 a good coat of model master flat black and cockpit black highlights. I wasn't happy with the finish, so I then rubbed it back with 4000 grit sandpaper and re-sprayed with highly thinned coats of Gunze Sangyo tire black, then added a little bit of midnight blue, and misted most of the airframe. I have then sprayed a very dark grey mix over certain panels to artificially throw the light around. I am just waiting for it to dry and then I will lightly polish the paint before giving it a gloss coat in preparation for the decals.. I reckon once the satin coat goes over the top of all this it will work out OK.

P3290725.jpg

P3290727.jpg

P3290732.jpg

As mentioned before, I scribed the parachute door to make it two doors. a bit hard to pick up in the pics, but it is there.

P3290731.jpg

The exhaust panels, Model Master buffing metallic paint.

P3290730.jpg

The bomb bay, lacks a lot in detail so I have relied on the paint work and a wash to give it the required depth. Will have a couple of big bombs hanging out of the bay and they will be the focus.

P3290733.jpg

Hi Blackbetty,

All the detail that you see in the last pic is the kit parts. The only thing that is missing is the cradle that holds the bomb and the bay door actuating rams.

The aircraft currently has a couple of coats of future applied to it in preparation for decals, still very undecided as to whether to use the kit decals or to wait another month or so for the caracal ones to come out. Any ideas anyone?

Eric.

How about Ad Astra masks?

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the piccies. I think the F18 and scratch bits were unavoidable...no chance of OOB. I think you did a great job of the black. CE had an interesting set of decals in 1/32 for this aircraft (huge Amercian Flag underneath) but I think it was for the testors kit. It 'seemed' like a simple enough paint scheme, especially with some masks...certainly very interesting and colourful.

Hard to believe this aircraft type is retired!

Cheers Matty

The extra's added on the cockpit are really nice, although i've seen some more ugly OOB Ejection seat's. I must say the rest doesn't look all that bad OOB. The paintjob is sweet! Good luck on the rest.