Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

I can't believe you just went and replaced all those lovely linkages with even more lovely metal ones! I must say they are absolutely outstanding and look every bit the part. 

So I'm going to ask the question again.... How did you simulate the rod ends on the linkages? Squashing again?

Brilliant Mark, absolutely brilliant!

Craig

Wow Mark! I think you're very quickly getting to the point where you'd better lay some paint down or you're not going to be able to reach everything, even with the ol' airbrush. The paintwork is what will really bring this beast to life too. Just crazy Bro! 

Martinfb, his family, and I went to the Boeing Museum in Seattle this weekend and when we spotted a Mustang your build became the topic of discussion. Martin got so excited he broke in to a jig!

Martin-1_zps0442880e.jpg

Martin had never tried Mustang before, apparently it had a very metallic taste!

Martin-2_zps61eb3f76.jpg

Now to get this thread back on track I managed to get a couple of pics you might be interested in. The first is a lifting ring at the back of the gear reduction housing. I'm not sure if it's worth adding but I never knew about this detail. The other is a pic of the supercharger solenoid. You can see that it's mounted on the supercharger housing below the pivot point for the magneto timing advance lever. Hopefully these will be of use to you.

Lifting-ring_zps39f0e87b.jpg

Solenoid_zps3c8e8162.jpg

Keep up the fantastic work Mark!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you, Jamme.

Thank you, Marcus.

Thank you, Brother Bear.

Thank you, Loic.

There are indeed a number of powerful builds going on now.  It's hard for me to keep track of them all even when 'Following' them.  Thank you, Richard.  Your builds look pretty danged good!  I especially like that soldered aluminium piping at the Oil Reservoir on your Mustang.

Thank you, Craig.  Yes, I squeezed them really, really hard in a pair of pliers.  These are the smallest Silver -Nickel rods by Albion Alloy.  I believe they are .003 diameter.  They are harder than aluminum (the softest) or brass (medium hardness).

Good grief is right, Harv.  I'm even saying that to myself, Charlie Brown!

Thank you, Mal.  But I don't know for which one, madman or genius!

Right ON!, Jerry!

Thank you, Wolf.  Would it be wrong of me to say I'm not going to paint it?  Just kidding.  I do one thing at a time.  When I finish scratch-building I'll hopefully solve the painting problems.  I will lose track of what I need to do in this phase if I start to think out of it.

Aside from tidying things up I'm finished with the engine.  I don't know if it's complete.  I just know I'm finished with it.  It will be good to move over to the Oil Reservoir area and Firewall.

Got 'em and got 'em in.  That lifting ring just barely.  1.5mm inside diameter .015 solder.  Whoo Boy!  Thank you, Wolf.

'I suddenly realized that this place needs a better security'

Hide you wallet, here comes Wolf!

Thank you, 322SqnNL.  Actually, this phase hasn't been nerve-wracking at all.  Except for the Distribution Lines everything has gone smoothly.  It certainly hasn't felt like 'work'.  I can't imagine working in 1/72nd scale.  It's so small.  I sure would like for you to post your Spit.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, Geoff.  Means a lot.

Finishing the linkage rebuild.

DSCN7677_zpsxykje7oj.jpg

Filtered Air Door and Ram Air Gate link.  Forgot the Hot Air Door Control.  Will get on that.

DSCN7680_zpsn59jd7u7.jpg

Other side of the Filtered Air Door and Ram Air Gate link.

DSCN7682_zps8bido6t1.jpg

Upper: Propeller Governor Control System. 

Lower: Top lower is to Filtered Air Door; Lower lower is to Ram Air Gate link.

DSCN7683_zpszsosnpny.jpg

Propeller Governor Control System sunny side.  Pencil notations.  The right link is supposed to be toward the bottom and the left toward the top.  I made it this condition so I would not have to find the angle for the left side to fit over/around/thru/whatever! the Intercooler pump.

DSCN7684_zpsqsfuaean.jpg

.015 diameter solder lifting ring with returns squished flat on base with hex nuts on flats.

DSCN7688_zpstxatz0f9.jpg

Solenoid with electrical to Switch Box on Firewall.  Supercharger Intercooler coolant line to lower firewall.  Probably could be a bolt lower, but I'm going with this.

Break Time!  But not for long, I hope.

Thank you for following along.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark, to be honest I gave up on my P-51 build, especially because of the engine section.I had also hard time to decide what to hide and what to leave exposed. At the end I did glue the cowling dead on solid. :(

Your build is simply amazing, it is a source of motivation and inspiration that I need so badly nowadays.

Thank You for that Sir.

Martin

Thank you, Mal.  If it weren't fun it would never be done.

Thank you, Harv.

Thank you, Jer.  There can never be too many Mustang builds.  You have to post yours.

Thank you, Martin. I must confess.  (Uh Oh)  I too gave up on this build. I used the excuse that the Group Build was over.

Part of the reason I was looking to stop is that I already have the Dragon Mustang in my display case (and 2 Bf 109's).  Building this kit would mean I would have another Mustang.  And it just seemed silly to me that of all the aircraft types I want to build I've got models of only 2 aircraft types in my display case.

So I dropped the build for awhile to purge myself of the thought, which was holding me back, and moved on from it.

So, early on, I too thought about closing the engine compartment as the thought of detailing the engine as I had detailed the other assemblies was weighed down.  Now it's not.  Now, I am unencumbered by the thought process.

Thank you for sharing with me that what I'm doing is a source.   That you think that what I do can be of some help is very meaningful to me.

Thank you, Martin.  From me, and from all of us.

Sincerely,

Mark

I'll see about posting a few in my 1:32 Revell Mk22/24 topic. It's a Mk.XIVc that will be getting a sweet D-Day striped 322 (Dutch) squadron livery. Won't be doing too much weathering as 322 got their XIV's brand new from the factory right before the event took place.

dodgem37, on 16 Feb 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

Thank you, 322SqnNL.  Actually, this phase hasn't been nerve-wracking at all.  Except for the Distribution Lines everything has gone smoothly.  It certainly hasn't felt like 'work'.  I can't imagine working in 1/72nd scale.  It's so small.  I sure would like for you to post your Spit.

Break Time!  But not for long, I hope.

Thank you for following along.

Sincerely,

Mark