Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Thank you, Gentlemen for all of your GREAT! words.

The engine compartment took a real beating this go-round.  I'm just glad I know where everything goes and! how to make it.  'Cause I'll need to make a lot of it again to re-finish the engine compartment.  But no worries on that.

Oil and coolant lines.

DSCN7664_zpsnknc8edr.jpg

Test-fitting a coolant line.  This coolant line has a tab that attaches to a base molded into the side wall.  It is also attached to the pump which is in turn attached to the engine bottom.  I left it as is for now until I sort out the engine connection.  With the engine in place and it on the engine there wasn't a lot of room in which to work.  The coolant line from just behind the pump broke off so I have to sort that out too.  Black marker notation is so I know this side tie-ins are CCC: Coolant Coolant Coolant.

DSCN7665_zpstt0j0sfl.jpg

Coolant line with heat shrink tube ties in to firewall.  Curved line is an oil line.  It needs to bend upward into the bottom of the Oil Tank.  I'm waiting until many things are completed before I remove the engine mount tab and tie it in.  Notation is COO: Coolant, on the outside, 2 Oil lines.  Working on this upside down with the drawings right-side-up necessitated the notations.  Otherwise I WOULD do it backwards.

DSCN7666_zps1thnergs.jpg

Right side up.  Coolant Oil Oil.  All lines pin-mount into wheel well lines.  The heat shrink tube on the exposed pin mount line is a slip cover.

DSCN7668_zps0o1aaw50.jpg

Inner drilled hole is for the Supercharger Intercooler connection.  I need to make that as Tamiya didn't supply the part or detail of it.  Maybe I can use something from the Spitfire extras.  I'll see.  Next drilled hole is from the Intercooler Pump.  That would be the red insulation line found on the left side of engine.  Coolant line with slip cover.  I needed to modify this piece of HST to fit over the tab.  I need the tab for now to support the part, but once the pump is glued to the engine I'm hoping I can modify the location to remove the tab and mount.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Thank you, Peter.

Thank you, Jerry.  There IS some really good stuff going on in the forum.  Top notch artists, everybody.

Thank you, Gee.

Thank you, Maru.  Not quite flawless.  But I'm working on it!

Thank you, Anthony.  I feel as tho you had been away for awhile.  If so, it is good to see you back.  If not, I wonder where I've been?

Wolf and Peter of Airscale gave me a really bad idea:

DSCN7670_zpsabv9ea1b.jpg

Albion Alloys telescoping tube with flared .010 rod.  Curse you Red Baron!!

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Are you sure you are from Planet Earth? Just incredible and the work is out of this world!

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I am 100%, completely in love with this build Mark...

I have been there trying to unpick references for a Merlin, trying to work out what connected to what and endless pipes & connections disappearing around corners and merging into undecipherable bundles or clusters - not only are you mastering the complexity of a highly complicated machine in gorgeous detail in miniature but you even know what stuff is and what it does!

my favourite kind of modelling, and a brilliant reference for everyone wanting to either just perk up their kit engine or go completely mental and pack every last pipe, nut, bolt & wire in..

bravo

Peter

I'm from Mars, same as you! Thank you, Peter.

Thank you, Barry.

Thank you, Maru.

A very big thank you to you, Peter. Once I identified individual items and systems and clipped their pages together I then focused on a single area. Earlier it was just a jumble. If I had it to do over again I would do the link system last. They are too delicate and inflexible to tie into the firewall. Everything else I think I would have done the same.

This week I've been doing field repairs on the engine link system.

DSCN7671_zpsn6dgmlbi.jpg

Albion Alloys all the way! with flared-end .010 rod pins. Magneto links up. Carburetor link up. Little link below Carburetor down. The long link in the Carburetor area is tension fitted at the top so it doesn't move.

DSCN7672_zpszjufwowf.jpg

Magneto links down. Carburetor link down. Little link below Carburetor up.

DSCN7673_zpsgd2vvr6z.jpg

Carburetor link down. Magneto link up.

DSCN7674_zpswn7rbpod.jpg

Carburetor link up. Magneto link, tho not at the Magneto - too tight - down.

DSCN7675_zpspvc8zba3.jpg

Other links move as well. Corrected the Fuel Pump. It has the big burned-out white square. Earlier it had an electrical line. It is supposed to have 3 fuel lines. Empty copper ties into Fuel Filter on firewall wheel well bulkhead left side. Red one ties into a drain box on the same wall but on the opposite side from Fuel Filter. Little red insulation below blue insulation fuel line ties into fuselage fuel tank vent, seen in Post 129, page 9.

There is one more Coolant line. This goes on the Supercharger, which is the rounded area between the two bolted plates to the right.

Thank you ever so much for everything.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

I'm speechless and in complete amazement at the same time.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools