Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Thank you, Craig.  Easy-squeezy for the control link flats.  I squeeze the end in a small pair of flat-nosed pliers, then trim and sand to shape.

The real test, if one can call it a test, is to have them parallel to each other.  For that, after I squeeze, trim, and shape one end, I lie the rod flat on the adhesive side of some tape, with the flat end parallel to my desktop, lift the other end with a tweezer and press that end flat.  Works almost every time!

Cheers Mark, I'll have to give it a go. I never would have thought it'd squash like that :)

Craig

Did this more than a few times before I got to this point.  I didn't follow my basic tenant: Keep It Simple Stupid!  After this it IS break-time.

Mostly electrical with other things thrown in.

DSCN7640_zpslimpgiuf.jpg

Electrical Plug Type PA.  I put the tie-in at the top in case I wanted to remove the bottom and put on the lower cowl.

DSCN7645_zpsqv5tdyac.jpg

The cross is a Fitting-Junction.  Top line goes to left side Magneto bottom.  Bottom goes under engine to right side Magneto bottom.  I won't connect it to the Magneto, I'll just run it under the engine out of sight and cut it.  Annealed brass wire, maybe 24 ga.

DSCN7646_zpsokdacukb.jpg

Many red insulation inserts into the firewall and little Switch box to the left.

DSCN7647_zpskf6xjjfx.jpg

Boot Assembly on Generator, ties in to firewall.  Under Magneto, electrical line tie-in, from left frame.  White disc: Fuel Pump (thank you, Wolf - supposed to be white square, I'll fix that), ties in to Switch box.

DSCN7648_zpsf2futykg.jpg

Top: needed to move the Tachometer to the opposite side of the head because it was in the way of something, I don't remember.  Ties in to firewall.  Magneto wiring goes under engine and is cut.  Cylinder with star shape is the Starter, ties in to Switch box.

DSCN7649_zpsmct5nttq.jpg

Bottom: found the oil conduit.  Line is Oil Temperature Bulb (Resistance Type).  Upward: .062 solid core solder with heat shrink tube is the continuation of the Breather Tube.  Enters the side panel.  Hope that works.  White box seems to be the Booster Coil.  Rear line ties into firewall, front line ties into face of right side Magneto.  Top on frame:  there are two lines, not one.  One is the Manifold Pressure Line and the other is the Fuel Pressure Line.

DSCN7650_zps65bqfkxl.jpg

Showing the Breather Tube tied in.  Also the Oil Temperature Bulb (Resistance Type).

DSCN7653_zpsh8yd1ejh.jpg

Right side Engine tie-in to firewall and Switch box.

DSCN7654_zpsgwj0plor.jpg

Left side Engine tie-in to firewall and Switch box.  Line-work could be better.  I'll work on that.

Got a few more but SWMBO is calling my name.

Until then.  Thanks for stopping by.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Absolutely Incredible work .. you're raising the bar to heights not seen before.

After some RNR

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Mark, you are nuts! My kind of nuts though as I did much the same on my Spitfire so I know the effort you're putting in on this. When I continue on with my own Mustang build I'm not going to follow your lead, LOL! I think I'll go part way but not that far so this is definitely a treat to follow! Carry on young man, I think I'll get a drink and some popcorn and settle in for more of your awesomeness at work.

Cheers,

Wolf

It would be a delight to work on a real one, Craig.  At one point I thought of becoming an Aircraft Mechanic as a second career.  Thank you.

Thank you, Peter.

Thank you, Wolf.  This is indeed overdone. Part way is best.  I get caught up in things sometimes and this is one of them.  There is a LOT of stuff that was overdone over the entirety of the kit.  It's too much to visually absorb.  There comes a point when your eyes just can't take anymore.

Where was I.  Oh, yes.

DSCN7655_zps0pd2dgdf.jpg

Piecing the puzzle together, right side.  Left side free wire goes into Magneto bottom.  Something I see now that won't be seen.  Time for it to go.  Nice idea, though.

DSCN7656_zps2osp1jls.jpg

Left side.  Right side Magneto wire needs to tie-in.

DSCN7658_zpsbzrsog9p.jpg

Left side, showing Generator wiring.

Many thanks.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, Mal.

Jerry, Zanex (Xanax) that's funny.  But no anxiety involved in this.  Methylphenidate would be handy tho!

Thank you, Kevin.  The detail is pretty wild.

Linkage was bruised during the back and forth fitting process but nothing that can't be fixed.  Last engine images until final assembly, I promise!

DSCN7661_zps31g0xxnu.jpg

Was able to tie-in the Breather Tube to kit supplied Breather Tube AND have it fit into the fuselage.  Lucky me.  Also Magneto electrical line, just in front of Breather Tube, and tie-in to Manifold Pressure Line and Fuel Pressure Line red insulation strip that crosses the Magneto e-line.

Trouble with something.  The 'Reply' page is taking a looooooong time to load/reload.  Maybe because of all of the images.  So I'll see if I can post the images (only 3) one Post at a time.

Edited by dodgem37

DSCN7662_zpsv96jrtw0.jpg

Red insulation as neoprene connection for Manifold Pressure Line and Fuel Pressure Line tie-in to Primer something-or-other .  The blue insulation on ignition lines are free-floating, so every so often they misplace themselves.

DSCN7663_zpsbrxwa8hl.jpg

Lastly, just showing the Oil Pressure Instrument Line tie-in.  Lost the last one when I swapped the wiring.  Needs to be longer, I see.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

How sweet she is. The detail and engineering is mind boggling ... just tremendous workmanship

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools