Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Thank you, Wolf.  Indeed, not a detail I've seen anyone do.  Scratch or after-market.  Maybe the stuff will get in the way and the paneling won't fit, I don't know as I haven't checked, but I'm staying within the framework and as such, the panels should fit.  I'll find out later.

If the panels don't fit I'll look at modifying the panels or build a crate and store the panels in a crate along side the model.  Label the crate 'Agricultural Parts', as that is how the aircraft crating was identified to get in-country.

At the moment my intent is to show the engine area.  But that's only because things are going well.  Earlier when I was working on the distribution system I was ready to close it up.

There isn't much more engine work to do, or maybe there's not much more I'm going to do that I can see.  Currently I'm working on the right side 3 instrument panel lines

I've got the 2 throttle lines and the air induction system linkage and some tie-ins to the lower-center fire-wall also.  But I haven't really studied the lower-center area to really know what needs to be done.  I think that's about it for me for the engine compartment.

I'm convincing myself that I really do want bombs and rockets and not drop tanks.  A different look.  The bombs and rockets I've found, but not the rocket mounts.  It would mean scratching and casting.  Since I've had two catastrophic casting failures recently I've been dragging my feet with wanting to scratch and cast.  But I think there is no way around it.

'and you are a vascular surgeon when not building planes??? astonishing detail...'

I wish, Mitch!  I sure could use the pay.  Thank you.

Thank you all.

Sincerely,

Mark

Woah-kaaaayyy!!!!

First off,let me say I am deeply sorry I have managed to completely miss this so far. Holy crap Mark!

This is like coming home and seeing an old friend you haven't seen in a while. The P-51.

Kudos to Tamiya for making such a great kit,firstly,that is such a great launching point for uber talented people like Mark to go crazy on without having to do major dimensional surgery,etc.

I am not surprised by the level of detail,having watched the screen drooling many times when he was building the 109 stuff but I think this build actually even takes that build level up a notch!. Cockpit,wheelwells,engine,gun bay,check check check and...check!!!

Also nice to see the landing gear getting so much TLC.  Nice paint scheme planned as well.

Just spent a thoroughly enjoyable hour looking at every page,going back to 2012.

Thanks for a nice morning Mark!!!

J

Thank you, Radders.  It's been a lot of fun this go around.

Jerry, you are the BEST!  Thank you, I really appreciate you stopping by and your good words.  Keep up the remarkable work on your figure.

Be well.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Been  super geeking out this morning working on the right side and adding a few missing links.

DSCN7513_zps5895c1e9.jpg

Circular item is the Fuel Pressure Transmitter.  Added lines to and fro.  Tied the To line into the firewall.  Fro line is underneath.

DSCN7514_zps1559a99e.jpg

Three lines here.  2 silver and a copper.  Middle line is a Fuel Pressure Instrument line.  You can barely see it.  It will travel up the frame and into the Primer head.  Inboard silver line with red insulation is the Oil Pressure Instrument Line.  Copper is the line to the Oil Separator.

DSCN7515_zpsbec88c77.jpg

Tying into the firewall.  The box with the hole in it and the blue insulation is the Oil Separator Type B-12.  Ragged solder line is to the Fuel Pressure Transmitter.

DSCN7516_zps3c7d2284.jpg

The Missing Links, 3 of them.  Top, the one a little bowed but fixable is the Emergency Boost Manual Control Deleted On Late Airplanes.  What?!  The two lines with the hex shaft on them (it is supposed to represent the Control Rod Disconnect Point).  Anyway, the top one, which is actually the left, is the Throttle Control Rod and the lower (right) one is the Mixture Control Rod.

DSCN7517_zpsa755f4d5.jpg

Another look at them peeking thru.

DSCN7511_zps5726270e.jpg

I don't believe it . . .

DSCN7512_zps9a6e8385.jpg

. . . everything fits!

Thank you one and all.

Sincerely,

Mark

...everything fits!

That was the biggest concern I had when I built my Spitfire so I know exactly how you feel. The thought that you've somehow managed to add stuff that will ultimately create fit problems is always on your mind.

The only items I see still missing are the inlet and outlet fittings on the cylinder heads for the glycol tank. I'll try and find the pics I have of them for you. I wish I had cast them when I scratch-built them for the Spitfire as I'll need a set for the Mustang as well.

Incredible work Mark!

Cheers,

Wolf

'inlet and outlet fittings on the cylinder heads for the glycol tank'

I haven't found a THING for this in my manuals.  They would be in the coolant pages, drawings, and schematic, which I've used, and they are not.

Sincerely,

Mark.

Mark,

The engine covers fit great and that's not a surprise to me, because they fit perfect on my Mustang too with hardly any adjustments.  The real tricky one is the bottom shroud, because it uses those two pins at the rear and they are difficult to slide into the nylon washers they go into.  A little silicon spray in the washers helps a lot.  The panel is also hard to install without scratching the model at the rear, so I just leave mine on all the time now.  Also, and you'll figure this out on your own fairly quickly if you don't know already, the top shroud has two big seam marks that have to be sanded off.

What I am REALLY looking forward to is some painting on this great build.  How you are going to do that with all the plumbing and other tiny do-dads a different color is going to be tricky!

Cheers,

Chuck

Many thanks for the silicon tip on the pins, Chuck.  I have only attempted their insertion once, and didn't like the fight.  I was surprised, and disappointed in Tamiya, when I saw the seam marks on the shroud.  They have been attended to, delicately, as you know.

I hope to figure things out when I study the manuals for color interpretation.  I have imagery that shows an all black engine (including linkage) with the only natural metal being part of the magneto, the distributor, lines, and nuts and bolts, and drawings showing the linkage as being natural metal.

For me, it's too early for color.  I'm studying the imagery for content.  Color interpretation and execution will come later.  It's just the way I work.

Sincerely,

Mark

Many thanks for the silicon tip on the pins, Chuck.  I have only attempted their insertion once, and didn't like the fight.  I was surprised, and disappointed in Tamiya, when I saw the seam marks on the shroud.  They have been attended to, delicately, as you know.

Mark

If my memory serves me well (never an automatic thing!), I think I drilled out the nylon washers too, because the fit was just too tight.  As you know, the shroud plastic is super thin, so you don't want to be horsing the pins in or out or you'll warp or break something.  Of course now is the time to get them right.  I waited too long and paid the price, so the bottom shroud stays on because removal is just not worth the hassle.

Mark, here are the coolant connectors that I'm talking about that go from the cylinder heads to the glycol tank. Hopefully the pics and the drawing help. You can see where they connect to the glycol tank as the tank has two round raised discs moulded at the back. There also appears to be a small air bleeder valve on the glycol tank between the two coolant connectors.

Cheers,

Wolf

Coolant-elbow-2_zps9d4a2426.jpg

Coolant-elbow_zps27d6b84e.jpg

Coolant-pipe-1_zps49956b07.jpg

Coolant-connector-2.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee