Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

A truly Magnificent Merlin - the detailing is just so beautifully done. I remember when you first started your P-51 when I was beginning my first Mustang: Big Beautiful Doll. I can't tell you how glad I am that your Mustang is back on the bench and receiving your special treatment.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you very much, Brother Bear.  It's good to be tinkering on this again.  It's been a lot of fun this go-around.  First time around it felt like work.  This time I've caught the wave.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark.  Absolutely stunning work on that engine!  I don't know how you do such fine and precise clean work. 

Since you are a master of details and this item could be an easy add-on without disrupting what you've done already, you might want to add the "CUNO Oil Filter" which is item "G" in the pic below.

RightEngine.jpg

Having said that, once this beast is parked in the engine bay you won't be able to see much of the details anyway, so no biggy if you leave it off.  I put one on my P-51D build and it did not get in the way of anything, just in case that might be a concern.

Thank you, Chuck.  I tinkered with the oil filter early on.  I even drilled a hole in the engine block for its location.  Where the solder line ties into just above the oil pan.  It has a hex nut on it.  As you know, it's not anything, but I was lazy and made the line up instead of patching the hole.

The kit comes with a shape similar to the oil filter.  I think it may be part of the Spitfire engine extras.  I don't know.  Anyway, I added rod and solder for the ingress and egress lines but didn't bother to modify the top, which is different from what is illustrated, because it didn't seem to me to be a big enough deal.  You put me in gear to add it.  Thank you.

While researching the oil pump stuff I came across a couple of fire extinguishing line drawings.  The port side is relatively clear, but the starboard side isn't so now I'm looking into the engines' starboard side fire extinguishing lines.  If I can find a decent drawing I'll see what I can do about that.

If I don't change my mind about the magneto linkage and don't find anything good on the fire extinguishing lines the engine will be done.  After I decide I'll post a picture of the oil pump, and any other, change.

Super work on your P-38.

Thank you for stopping by.

Sincerely,

Mark

I have to say, looking at all your work on the Packard Merlin makes me smile Mark! It certainly brings back to mind all the extras I added on my RR Merlin. Not to mention how time consuming it all is. Not just scratch building it all but the research involved as well. Then you have to decide what's period correct and what's been done today to update all the systems to make them currently useable. Lots of pictures to browse through and not all of them helpful. The next trick is to make sure all the additions you create will still allow the model engine to fit successfully within the kit supplied engine mount. Not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know. :)

Great stuff as always Bro and I love that you're back on this one!

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Hey Mark, I have about 40 photographs of the shop service manual for this engine, where I got the pic I posted already.  You may have this stuff already, since it's fairly common.  If not and if you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll send them along to you.  It's kind of late now, I know, but it might help with painting and colors if nothing else.  Again, your work is spectacular!  I just re-read the beginning of this thread and came upon your gun bays, an area I know quite a bit about, having heavily detailed my own build.  Yours make my gun bays look like crap - no surprise there!  Looking forward to more updates and so I'll join the gang and subscribe to this thread.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hey Mark, I have about 40 photographs of the shop service manual for this engine, where I got the pic I posted already.  You may have this stuff already, since it's fairly common.  If not and if you're interested, PM me with your email address and I'll send them along to you.  It's kind of late now, I know, but it might help with painting and colors if nothing else.  Again, your work is spectacular!  I just re-read the beginning of this thread and came upon your gun bays, an area I know quite a bit about, having heavily detailed my own build.  Yours make my gun bays look like crap - no surprise there!  Looking forward to more updates and so I'll join the gang and subscribe to this thread.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hey Chuck, could I trouble you as well for those photos? I have this same kit in the works and could use all the help I can get. Mark has already sent me some stuff but you can never have enough photos.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hey Chuck, could I trouble you as well for those photos? I have this same kit in the works and could use all the help I can get. Mark has already sent me some stuff but you can never have enough photos.

Cheers,

Wolf

I would be honored sir.  Your Spitfire is still the benchmark for the Merlin engine at any scale, Rolls Royce or Packard!  Just PM me and we'll take it from there.

BTW, I should mention to everyone that I got my pics from "Budman" who helped me out when I built my Mustang Merlin engine.  There's probably copyright hassles associated with just posting them here, but I've seen the same pics on other websites many times, so the cat, in my opinion, is already out of the bag.  Still, I want to be careful, hence the email distribution instead.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Amen! to all of that Wolf.  All the way down to the PE hose clamps.  God Bless You, I don't have the patience for that.  Thank you, Wolf.  I'm glad to be back on this also, especially since it is going so well.

Thank you for the offer Chuck, but I have over 800 pages on the Packard-Merlin Engine alone.  Thank you for the compliment on the gun bays.  I used an Erection and Maintenance Manual and a number of modern photographic publications as reference for that one.

I've decided to fuggedabout the Fire Extinguisher Lines for now.  I'm ready to move on to fixing all of the broken-off parts on the firewall and and oil reservoir.  I'll post a pic of the oil filter in a bit.

Thank you for the pics, Martinn.  I have been wondering if the 'tarmac', as it were, was hard or soft.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37