Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Hi Mark,

I've just caught up with this and am absolutely floored by your skills and their results on show here.

It's obvious you've got at least three things I don't; the patience of a saint, eyesight equivalent to a microscope and the fingers of a micro-surgeon.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your work and can't wait for more.

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

'Another wonderful update Mark! The fact that you haven't employed any aftermarket stuff but scratch-built everything is particularly impressive. I myself will be using some aftermarket stuff, I'm much too lazy, LOL!'

Thanks a heap, Wolf. For me it seems to be less expensive to buy or find the supplies to make the parts than it is to buy aftermarket. Aftermarket can be expensive on a per plane/tank basis. Supply cost can be divided over multiple builds. I've been known to be wrong. But I have bought stuff I can't make, tho. You're too lazy. That is a laugh.

Thank you, Bud. It was a lot of back and forth work to reach that point, but it was so small.

'Mark, awesome work as usual. Every time you scratch-build some set of tiny details or other, I get more and more impressed. Those cowl fastener brackets are amazing! Thanks for the lesson.'

Thank you very much, Kevin. This build is pushing my envelope. It has taken a lot of work (read: failures) to get to the photography point. Thank you for the compliment on the brackets.

You are most welcome for the lesson. I am only too happy to share. I have no secrets. What I do is open source. I had found early-on in my scratch-building efforts that many who did it were secretive, and didn't want to share. I didn't 'get' it then, and I still don't 'get' it now. Learning is fundamental.

'Lesson for me today: jigs keep the results consitent - see the fasteners!'

All it takes is taking the time to make one. The simpler the better.

'. . . am absolutely floored by your skills and their results . . . '

Thank you, Grant.

'It's obvious you've got at least three things I don't; the patience of a saint, eyesight equivalent to a microscope and the fingers of a micro-surgeon.'

I don't know if it's patience or tenacity or a bit of both. As for eyesight, a magnifier helps a lot. Don't tell anybody, but I use tweezers because my fingers are so stubby.

I thought I would be able to include an update but SWMBO is a-calling. So, I shall return!

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Made ya look. Just kidding.

Chores and errands are complete so it's back to the drawing board.

DSCN6601.jpg

Added a few bits. I don't know what that pipe with green insulation is but I saw it and liked it. The business to the left is wiring to the switch box below. Lost a couple of cowling fastener bases. Oh well.

DSCN6602.jpg

Firewall bottom. This connects to the wing. On the left is an engine oil drain box. To the right the fuel strainer.

DSCN6604.jpg

The 'U' shaped item is the oil system tank vent. The right top line is the overflow line to the cowling former. The bottom thin one is the drain. The bottom thick one goes to the engine. Although the image I have has it going back into the firewall. I guess I need to correct that direction. The plug to the bottom right is another drain location. The green wire insulation and the top red wire insulation represent neoprene/rubber connections. The other red insulation is so I can attach the line to the firewall. A couple of hex nuts.

DSCN6605.jpg

The top. I forgot to add insulation to the oil vent line connections, and, it looks like a connection to the firewall fell off. Oh well. A couple of hex nuts.

DSCN6607.jpg

This is the Line Assembly, Combat fuel pressure system check valve to tee. Whatever that is. .015 rod

More below.

Edited by dodgem37

DSCN6610.jpg

Firewalls, oil tank, and fuel line assembly attached to fuselage.

DSCN6611.jpg

Another angle. I sure wish these were in focus.

Well, that's IT! With the deadline next week and I knowing I won't complete this build by said deadline I've decided to put this aside and torture myself until I complete the K-4.

Many, many thanks to everyone for looking in, your continued interest, and wonderfully inspiring comments and compliments.

Until next time. May the force be with you.

Sincerely,

Mark

WOW Mark, I haven't looked in for awhile and BAM....what a build. Love the detail and your scratch work. Top shelf, my friend......Harv :popcorn:

Hi Mark,

I've just caught up with this and am absolutely floored by your skills and their results on show here.

It's obvious you've got at least three things I don't; the patience of a saint, eyesight equivalent to a microscope and the fingers of a micro-surgeon.

I'm thoroughly enjoying your work and can't wait for more.

Grant

Mark,

Like Harv I just keep reading and catching up....Your scratchbuilding is second to none and I am as they say floored by it.. :wow:

WONDERFUL,. :thumbsup:

Your work is faultless and I can't imagine the hours you have spent making this build a truly inspiring one...

Thanks for a marvellous trip as I follow this awesome work of yours !

Keep it up. :yahoo: ..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHAT THEY SAID ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*as I clear off my model desk, put a few flower pots on it, hang my head in shame, throw my hands up in disgust.....and utter...."I QUIT"*

SIMPLY AMAZING!!

Top shelf. I like that, Harv. That put a smile on my face. Thank you for the compliment.

Thank you, Maru. I am humbled by your praise. You are most generous.

Wrench, don't quit. Learn! Thank you very much.

K, Thank you. I too am now looking forward to the K-4. This work has cleared my mind of the earlier disappointments I experienced with the K-4.

Gee, No, not Cripes a' Mighty, Old Crow! A double entendre, a like that. Thank you. PM sent.

Grant, I am indeed putting this aside. But, I Shall Return!

Thank you, Tomek.

Thank you one and all.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Mark, your work is ambitious to the max but you have the talents to make it happen beautifully. I am subscribed so I won't miss anything while you are finishing up your K-4 but we all are anxious for more of your magnificent P-51.

Thanks for sharing this build with us. :)

Bud