Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

'. . . a wide brush and some silver paint'

Bjorn, the painting and wear process I used is as follows: Grey Primer, Aluminum, Future, Grey Primer, then Black.  I used the edge of a fine sanding stick and a scalpel blade to rub or gently scrape thru the Black to the Grey Primer or Aluminum.

Scalpel type I used:

RMD10_1.jpg

From RB Productions.

Wheel Well Walk-Around:

DSCN5940_zpsh0zefid0.jpg

Red is Fuel line from Drop Tank.  Below the Door Actuation Arm Mount is a red Fuel Line going into the back wall.  That is from the Fuselage Fuel Tank.  Aluminum line is a replacement line.

DSCN5941_zps0qujhtxy.jpg

Opened Coolant/Oil Line background.  New Coolant and Oil piping.  Inner lines are 1/16 Aluminum tubes.  Outer line is Aluminum painted Styrene rod.

DSCN5942_zpsm4eh6tdl.jpg

More Fuel Lines.

DSCN5943_zpsrgveug2n.jpg

Other side.  Blue/Yellow/Blue lines are Hydraulic.  Brakes, Flaps, or otherwise.

DSCN5944_zpsrgzdgmvy.jpg

Same here.  Rubber Tubing on Coolant and Oil lines is Heat Shrink Tube.  Bands are painted yellow Tamiya Tape.  Aluminum line is another replacement line.

DSCN5945_zpsb9arbggn.jpg

Nothing too different from the other side.  Black 'rectangles' are bumpers.

DSCN5947_zpsa9m431rh.jpg

Overhead Port.  I see I missed a Loom Tie.

DSCN5948_zps4vryqgyj.jpg

Overhead Starboard.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Finally got to catch up here. The usual impressive detailed model building from you as always !

That main gear bay and cockpit are extraordinary. I love the open top on the flare pistol port. Never seen that done before anywhere. I would point out the brown thing to its' left was a canvas bag and the seam in the middle was a zipper. I was kinda hoping you would continue your "maverick" streak and show the original cloth covers over the interior of the tail gear bay lightening holes but I have to be satisfied with the flare thing I suppose. LoL

Brilliant model.

J

Super nice work Mark, however the prisma-colour pencil need some tuning. Usually there is minimal damage on the front side of the prop blades, it is all happening at the backside, where due the high friction of moving air mass. Somebody also mentioned the cuffs, so here is a related picture.

The gear bay is stunning, just unreal.

the back side wear

6288447.jpg

the front side shows nice lsilver line at the leading edge just above the cuff

5.jpg

same here

cookie10.jpg

Thank you, Gentlemen, one and all.  I really appreciate your good vibes.

Tbell, Roger that.  I see by way of Martins' post it will be cuff-less.

JR!  I changed the zipper to brass.  Thank ye.  How is the canvas attached to/in the tail wheel area?  I can't seem to find an image of either the real condition or the tail-wheel you scratched.  I have an idear.

My Favorite Martin!  Thanks for the White 19 image.  I got lost in the painting and weathering details and forgot what I was doing.  I will keep these images in mind when I do the other prop.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, Gentlemen, one and all.  I really appreciate your good vibes.

Tbell, Roger that.  I see by way of Martins' post it will be cuff-less.

JR!  I changed the zipper to brass.  Thank ye.  How is the canvas attached to/in the tail wheel area?  I can't seem to find an image of either the real condition or the tail-wheel you scratched.  I have an idear.

My Favorite Martin!  Thanks for the White 19 image.  I got lost in the painting and weathering details and forgot what I was doing.  I will keep these images in mind when I do the other prop.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

When I built that master for the tail wheel bay I used pics I had copied from the P-51SIG of the museum sample in I believe Switzerland. It is pretty much untouched since they got it. I was actually talking more about the cloth covers that were over the lightening holes in the box itself that makes up the gear bay. It kept dirt and mud from getting inside the fuselage. It looks like felt almost. Then there is the canvas boot that surrounded the tail gear itself and it also has a zipper. It's been a while,sorry. I can't remember how the canvas boot attaches but I would guess with snaps ? I have the WIP in this site somewhere but I am hopeless still with a computer and couldn't tell how to find it. That was many moons ago.  Nice work brother

J

• 1 month later...

'you must know the airfame well enough by now to sit your maintenance ticket and start working on the real ones '

I spoke with my wife about starting a second career as an aircraft mechanic.  She rolled her eyes.  Go figure.

I've been experimenting.

DSCN5984_zpslyyuppvb.jpg

Overall shot.  Painting has been no different than earlier efforts.  Primer, aluminum, gloss, 50/50 top coat color and white as base, then 100% top coat color.  MM Sea Blue 5/1 with Black and MM Afrika Grunbraun '41.  Grunbraun is close enough to RLM 79 for my purpose.

DSCN5985_zpsadyxu7rc.jpg

Distressed top coat with 2500 sanding pad to show aluminum and 50/50 base coat as fading.

DSCN5986_zpsfznidimq.jpg

Tan and forward blue areas that requires rework.  Looks a lot worse in real life.  Note wing root terminus at flap.  Bad things can happen when a model falls onto the floor.

DSCN5987_zpscyz61qcq.jpg

More distressing.

DSCN5988_zpszmezkdqi.jpg

I ran a needle and scalpel thru all panel lines to highlight edges.

DSCN5989_zpsmczdprsk.jpg

Other side.  Painted aluminum at wing inner leading edge and around machine gun leading edge covers.

DSCN5991_zpsu5fo97jd.jpg

Blue needs some rework.  Tan also.

DSCN5992_zpsbj4ag4xn.jpg

Still thinking as to whether or not to repair the vertical stabilizer.

To each and everyone, have a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

Thank you for looking in and your compliments.

Be well.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37