Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Sparzana: Stay away from the engine!  You may have read in the beginning of my post that I had difficulty with the silicone moldings.  I haven't forgotten you.  I am awaiting some new molding material that is not the two-part blue molding material one often sees.  The last batch of that I bought has twice not solidified for me.  It created a mess with time-consuming clean-up, but I haven't given up.  I appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Mark

And I appreciate you trying! :) And, of course, the exquisite attention to detail of your builds... always such a pleasure to watch, and inspiring as well!

'Mark, this is the kind of model building I love, very inspiring indeed!  Taking notes for my own Tamiya RNZAF one. Keep up the awesome work.'

Thank you, Anthony.  Better to use aftermarket than to follow too closely what I'm doing.  I've incorporated some license in the wheel well and engine bay for sure.  I look forward to following your NZ build.

'And I appreciate you trying!  :) And, of course, the exquisite attention to detail of your builds... always such a pleasure to watch, and inspiring as well!'

Thank you, Sparzana.  I am honored that others feel what I do is inspirational.

'Nice scratching on the engine!'

Thank you, Bill.  I never thought I'd reach this point.  It has taken a while.  It seemed so daunting when I stopped building back then.  But the engine bay seems to be settling down into itself.  I'm just hoping I can manage a good job of it.

'Engine looks great Mark!'

Thank you, Kevin. Very tedious work.  Cutting, filing, trimming, gluing, keeping track of lots of especially tiny pieces.  It's a wonder it got done at all.

Thank you, Martinn.  Those are the photos of all photos for which I have been looking.  A big appreciation to you for dropping them off.

'I don't see a lot of reasons to be so hard on yourself, Mark. The engine looks very good to my eye! 

Nice trick with braided sheathing. Looks super convincing on thicker lines! Will try to remember that.

More please!'

Thank you, Tomek.  I will be less hard on myself.

'fascinating subject and lovely engine details... I am working on a similar engine for my Spit and am fascinated by the add-ons you have done... fun to see your work... I do not have the wherewithal to do these kinds of details, but admire yours...'

Thank you, Mitch.  Here is a Spitfire engine to all of our liking;

Ready for Inspection:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=50015&hl=

Work In Progress:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=32822&hl=

Sincerely,

Mark

Be wary of the decals. Every Sky's decal sheet I have used, the decals are all overscale and too large for most of the subjects. Paint masks is definitely the way to go.

On my IAF Spitfires and E-2 Hawkeye I ended up throwing the Sky's decals out.

Engine is done.

DSCN7484_zpsfaa86ddb.jpg

Replaced the ignition lines.  3 Intercooler lines; one red, one solder, one blue.  Magneto linkage.  Carburetor linkage. 

DSCN7486_zps296ce3d9.jpg

Replaced distributor rod and ignition lines.

DSCN7487_zpsa70d4455.jpg

Replaced ignition lines.  Magneto linkage.  Carburetor linkage.

DSCN7493_zps5741d054.jpg

Close-up 1.

DSCN7496_zps5078d042.jpg

Close-up 2.

Thanks looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark