Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Thank you, Loic.

Thank you, Chuck.

How the heck are you going to paint everything in different colors when it's all glued together?  Maybe most of it is just dry fitted?

While working I tried to keep the painting process in mind.  I did my best to not overlap, but there are two places where there will probably be difficulty.  One for sure, where the brass wire leading to the door retraction strut and the wiring loom overlap.

I thought I had drilled a series of holes for the brass just on the rear side of the loom rib, as I started off by first drawing with pencil on the well the location of everything I wanted to include.   But either I missed it, drew it in the wrong location, or didn't drill the pass-thru holes.  It's very busy in the wheel well and easy to miss something.

Aside from specific detail, such as the springs and some pipework, and since this is a post-war aircraft, most everything will be chromate green.

Many of the central red, green, and blue wiring insulation are bridges.  I glued thin wire at the terminals and trimmed the insulation to fit, so if I come to a problem area I can remove the insulation and once the model is painted I can paint the insulation and slip it back into place.  I hope

The center section is glued to the well and the forward bulkhead is not.

Thank you ever so much, Filippo.

Thank you, William.  I know you know!  It took a while to sort things out then figure out how to approach the problem.  'Where to begin, what to do and not do, and then how do it?'

The details in the P-51D wheel well are so very complicated, as you know.  Lots of overlap and intertwining.  I decided to forgo the overlap and intertwining, which for the most part is centrally located, until last, which is when I would glue in the center section.

So I started from the landing gear strut and worked in, and, worked from the back wall forward.  The last details to go in were the small white details and spring, and the door retraction arm, as I didn't want them popping off unexpectedly.  I worked on the center section off and on while I worked on the well off and on.  When it came time to glue in the center section and work on the overlapping and intertwining I said to myself that 'This just ain't happenin', and truthfully, simplified the central pipework.

This little project took a long time and a lot of mental fortitude!  I hope I still have some left over for the engine!

Thank you, Brother Bear!

Absolutely heart warming . . .

After the Arctic Vortex and all of its' problems we all can use some heart warming!  Thank you, Peter.

Thank you, Harvey.  A little more work and then it's over!  I used the wheel well as a mental warm-up exercise to get me 'ready' for the engine compartment, but I think I may have blown a gasket in the warm-up process!

Thank you, Martinn.  You are my Favorite!

Thank you, Wolf.  Where's yours!!??

Thank you, Mike.  Just livin' the dream!

Thank you one and all.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, Tomek.

Thank you, Murph.

Been tinkering with the tail-wheel well.

DSCN7456_zps5ba69669.jpg

Added some structure to the sidewall and fore.  Probably stabilizer and rudder cable, I don't know.  I used a photograph and not a technical illustration.

DSCN7455_zpsceafeed7.jpg

Other end.  Hydraulic lines.

DSCN7457_zps218f5d1c.jpg

Other side.

DSCN7458_zps36d2808f.jpg

Other end of other side.

DSCN7461_zpsd5afc9fb.jpg

Door retraction mechanism.

DSCN7460_zps4308222f.jpg

Other side.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Gorgeous work on the tail well bay. The door retraction mechanism is a gem. On the door hinges, do I see nuts and washers - of course.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Beautiful and inspirational as always Mark! Simply one of the best!

Thank you, Wolf. Where's yours!!??

Mine is temporarily set aside. I started on a WnW Pfalz DIIIa but even that has been languishing on the bench. My son's wedding, work, and current lack of drive have brought me to a bit of a slump. Hopefully I'll be back in the saddle soon. You, Peterpools, Bill Lawlor, and others are definitely inspiring me back to the bench though. With Christmas preparations looming it may take a little longer to get there.

Cheers,

Wolf