Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Hi Mark

I've been slowly working the paint back and stripping the Sufa down, much as I did with BBD Mustang. I'm looking forward to your official Sufa start and will be following with wide open eyes and a note pad in hand.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I was getting no-where fast on my SUFA build.  The cockpit sidewalls were just killing me.  So I decided to bring out the Mustang to see what I could see.  I figured that whatever I was to do on this build had to go more smoothly than what was going on with the SUFA.

While rummaging around for my references I came upon a publication of which I have no recollection of obtaining.  So I leafed thru it and broke the categories (cockpit, wheel wells, etc.) down with labeled post-its.  This pub turned out to be a gold mine for me.  The publication is AN 01-60JE-4, Airplane Parts Catalogue Army Model P-51D, British Model Mustang IV, 25 July 1944, Revised 25 October 1944, Printed by Wm. B. Burord Printing Co. 10-25-44, if you're so inclined.

All cockpit work:

DSCN7407_zpsf5aab20a.jpg

Drilled 2 holes.

DSCN7406_zpseab23256.jpg

Added a latch.

DSCN7409_zps25e8d455.jpg

Located 2 rounded cornered triangles to the inside of the rudder pedals.  Bolts also.

DSCN7404_zpsc1a18a22.jpg

From the front: To the right, as we are looking, of the 2 holes, on the small circular plate, Tamiya molded a small rod, which I chiseled off.  It was replaced with an angled fuel line with vent tube.  Black neoprene connection is drilled flexible plastic tube, from somewhere, with wire insulation as the hose.  The gage has an asymmetrical flange, long flange toward the inside.  The fuel inlet is surrounded with 1mm electrical wire heat-shrink tube, representing fastening bands.  .010 rod represents band tightening heads. 

DSCN7403_zps19f436b5.jpg

Lots of cool junk here.  From the front: The semi-circle is the Filter-Air Vacuum Operated Instrument.  It's supposed to have a support.  I'll see if I can fit it in.  This item actually has 2 outlet line conditions.  I chose this one.  Next is a hand held signal light, then the relief tube (stretched kit tree, telescoping Albion Alloys aluminum tube, solder), and over toward the top the Handle Assembly-Heating and Ventilating System Cold Air Control.  Below the 'T' handle on the semi-circle is a pointer.  The handle and pointer are in alignment.  The rod is the valve connecting shaft.

DSCN7405_zps83ed4c21.jpg

Not a lot of new stuff here, just a few.  Left-most bottom bezel has a button.  The other button broke off.  Chiseled off the molded-in handle in the center and made one with more relief.  Chiseled off the bezel and located a Fuel Filler Pump handle.  Tried to make it oval.

DSCN7412_zps9b9a8996.jpg

Finished this up.  The Emergency Handle area.  There is a small bump on top of the handle, just above the wired box.  That represents a spring condition.  There is a connection between the Emergency Handle Release located on the outside of the windscreen and the Emergency Handle.  That's what that is.  Left-most wiring loom has a .005 x .05mm fastener.  Other looms and their fasteners are new.  Inverted 'T' bracket is unidentified.  Unidentified bracket to the left of the bell.  Long wired tube to the right of the bell is the Radio Headset Connector, short one is the Microphone Type T-30 Connector.

It is good to back in this saddle.

Thank you for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Brother bear

What a great way to start November and to see the Mustang back out and the bench. Amazed as always at the level of detail you are able to create.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Yeah baby! Dr. Mark is back in da house! Glad to see you're back on the Mustang and sorry to hear your frustrations with the SUFA. I ran in to something similar with my own Mustang build and have now started on a WnWs Pfalz. Nothing wrong with the Mustang kit, just my own ineptitude. One thing to watch for Mark, the port rudder cable runs under the trim console assembly. Tamiya has the trim console assembly going all the way to the floor so you'll either have to abbreviate the cable length or trim the console bottom to allow the cable to run underneath. I'm still trying to decide how I'll deal with that.

You bein' back on the Mustang should be rear inspiration for me to get back on mine. Kind o' like an early Christmas present! :)

Cheers,

Wolf