Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

'How much oil will this hold ???? And have you gapped the plugs yet?? Man this is something else'

That's funny, Harv. I like that. Thank you, Harvey.

'Terrific work Mark! Your eye for detail is amazing, as are your skills at executing them. Bravo!'

Thank you, Kevin. I owe it all to attention deficit.

'Did you shave the nuts/bolts from the tank roadwheels and transfer them to the engine or did you take a mold of a roadwheel and cast them in resin?? They look fantastic!! Thanks'

Thank you, Randy. I took a mold of the roadwheel face and cast them in resin from that.

Thank you, Phil. You were quiet for a spell and I refrained from blurting out how good it is to see you once you returned. It's good to see you once again. I've missed your smile.

Thank you, Joe. With this engine it's a little at a time. There are a lot of layers to figure out. It's two steps forward and one step back. But I'm making progress.

Thank you, Wolf. If I can paint her up properly I'm hoping to have a nice model.

It took me awhile to find the answer to your CD question because the CD doesn't have a label. It was less expensive without the label. But I was able to track down where I go it. There are others around but this seller hit the right descriptive buttons for me. High rez. It didn't hurt that it was inexpensive. If it turned out badly I was not out a lot of money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-V-1650-3-MERLIN-ENGINE-MAINTENANCE-MANUAL-P-51-detailed-schematics-/370591679151?pt=UK_CPV_Aviation_SM&hash=item5648fc42af

There is one manual with over 700 pages, there are others, one with 500+ pages. Each at +-3mb/page. The black manual from the aviation shoppe is on the CD as well.

Here's another. It's really cool. It has scrolling pages. You're able to see what is in the manual.:

http://aviationshoppe.com/merlin-engine-packard-documents-manuals-a-26.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark

GEEZE. The detailing on the Merlin is going to be amazing, if this is just the tip of the iceberg. Of course, I would appreciate some additional time spent on the gear so I can soak in the ideas.

Awesome work as usual! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Peter

Thank you, Peter. The Merlin is a complicated piece to figure out. Coolant, electrical, oil, linkage, are all intertwined. It's a puzzle. Plus, there are some items missing. The oil filter for one, and some parts appear differently on the model than in the photos I have of a Merlin 3 & 7. Which, I think, is what the models' Merlin should be. So those items will need to be scratched. It's just going to take time.

In the meantime, I worked on the landing gear.

This is all Peters' fault!

DSCN6512.jpg

Bolts added to cover bracket. Scissor opened up with 2 grease fittings added. Wire for hydraulic line. Kept flexible hose. Added a clamp with bolt at lower connection of flexible hose. I made up the wire connection into the brake, oh well. Added a white rod to the bottom of the gear. I don't know what that is.

DSCN6514.jpg

Other side, just showing the white bolts on the cover bracket.

Peter, I can post just the strut with tire if you'd like. That way the cover won't be in the way.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Thank you, Johan. The wiring from the flexible hose to the brake cylinder required a number of evolutions to figure out. I think I ended up locating the wire bottom in place at the brake cylinder, working upward, trimming the upper excess, and 'spring actioning' the top into place.

I did a walk-a-round of the gear minus the cover. Maybe the details will be easier to see. It's not much to look at, but it took a lot of time to develop. Especially that bottom hydraulic line.

DSCN6517.jpg

Looks like that mounting condition sprung off. I'll have to fix that.

DSCN6516.jpg

DSCN6515.jpg

DSCN6518.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Sweet isn't the word for it. Te main gear is looking tremendous. Thanks for the close ups and the incredible inspiration!

Peter

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you, Peter. And, you are more than welcome.

Thank you, Martin. My apologies for the rubber tire. Please don't take it too much to heart. It was there, and so was I.

Thank you, Harvey.

Dan; I don't want to think about casting new ones as of yet. If I do think about it now then I will decide not to cast them because there is so much more to think about and do.

A little update. This is how I made the Priming Pipes:

DSCN6520.jpg

I located the entry points with punched discs onto the engine and took their centerline measurements. The entry point locations are the centerlines on the drawing. Then I drew the pipework shape.

DSCN6526.jpg

I used double-sided adhesive film to mount two strips of approximate width and bridged them with wire.

DSCN6527.jpg

I used another strip of approximate width and pressed the center area. Here I've already pressed the outer area as well. Oops! It's crooked.

DSCN6528.jpg

Then I straighted the wire where needed.

DSCN6525.jpg

I located a piece of double-sided adhesive film to the center disc just to hold things in place while I took the photo. The kit does not come with a fuel filter, which is where the open ends terminate. But there are some extra engine bits that have potential for use.

DSCN6532.jpg

Coolant pipe.

DSCN6531.jpg

Magneto braided hose and linkage. I hope that braided hose idea works. Solder is in the hose to give it some 'life'.

DSCN6533.jpg

I had to take the coolant pipe off to figure out the magneto/spark plug harness stuff. The harness' location is pretty much directly on top of the coolant pipe but stands off of the coolant pipe with a spacer. I've already drilled the rod to receive the magneto wire and spark plug wires. I've located the spark plug and bead caps. The spark plug head is round. The wire from the rod/harness will be glued to the bead. I hope that works, too. I've lost one. Oh, well. The T-shaped item I think is the oil pump. I may have to make a new one. I'll wait and see.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Nice work Mark! Have you tried to dry fit the engine in to it's carrier mount and add the exhaust shroud? One thing I found with the Spitfire is that the framework that supports the exhaust shroud sits very tight to the cylinder head and interferes with the plug wires if they are set proud of the cylinder head. What you've done may make the exhaust shroud not fit. Just check before you get too far. That's why I didn't bother to represent the spark-plugs and just drilled holes in the cylinder heads to accept the solder plug wires. If I'm not totally mistaken, the "T" shaped apparatus below the ignition conduit, mounted to the side of the engine block is the oil pressure regulator and an external pressure gauge could be fitted to check oil pressure during maintenance. Where did you source the braided line for the flexible ignition conduit?

One other observation, you may want to change the orientation of the tow bar eyelet pieces at the bottom of the main gear legs. They should be oriented horizontally rather than vertically if you know what I mean.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Nice work Mark! Have you tried to dry fit the engine in to it's carrier mount and add the exhaust shroud? One thing I found with the Spitfire is that the framework that supports the exhaust shroud sits very tight to the cylinder head and interferes with the plug wires if they are set proud of the cylinder head. What you've done may make the exhaust shroud not fit. Just check before you get too far. That's why I didn't bother to represent the spark-plugs and just drilled holes in the cylinder heads to accept the solder plug wires. If I'm not totally mistaken, the "T" shaped apparatus below the ignition conduit, mounted to the side of the engine block is the oil pressure regulator and an external pressure gauge could be fitted to check oil pressure during maintenance.

I had exactly the same experience. Spend hours wiring the plugs to find the shroud doesn't fit and had to rip them out. The ones on the top intake area of the engine will fit fine.

Thank you, Wolf, Ron.

'Have you tried to dry fit the engine in to it's carrier mount and add the exhaust shroud?'

I have not, but I now shall. I've only been test fitting into the mount.

'Where did you source the braided line for the flexible ignition conduit?'

http://www.detailmaster.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=e07cfa1c772f0fdf5ab0e8d5d68ec8b3&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=detailmaster&Product_Code=DM-1301&Category_Code=DM-Braid

'One other observation, you may want to change the orientation of the tow bar eyelet pieces at the bottom of the main gear legs. They should be oriented horizontally rather than vertically if you know what I mean.'

I do know what you mean. When I was punching discs, drilling holes, and looking at my references I noticed how 'Dragon got it right and Tamiya got it wrong'. I had forgotten about it. Appreciate you bringing it back to life. I'll look into it.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark