Kyushu J7W Shinden

scvrobeson

Great job on an aircraft that doesnt get much press! :speak_cool:

Thank you! I wish this aircraft got more press, but then again they only built two of them, and only one survives in the dark reaches of the Smithsonian restoration facility. It's such a cool plane though, but it's a lot like those Luft '46 paper projects, where maybe one of two was built, and maybe none survive. One of those awesome projects that if the war had continued a little bit longer, then maybe there would be more of them. But I'm just glad that there are kits out of the Shinden, Hasegawa in smaller scales, and Z-M in this scale.

Thanks for reading in. Glad to know you like it. :thumbsup:

Matt :party0023:

I also re-discovered that micro brushes and alcohol work great for getting into the really restricted spaces. Isn't Mister surfacer great stuff?

Hey Kevin! Yeah, Mr.Surfacer is amazing stuff. I usually use Q-Tips with alcohol for cleaning it off, and it always seems to work great. Sometimes it leaves a tiny divot in the Surfacer that has to be re-filled, but it always is a great filler.

Your Mig is looking awesome, can't wait to see it all painted up.

Matt

Awesome progress. Dynamite work on the engine and exhaust .. love the metallic look. Couple ore days of from school and you'll be onto a new project.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I'm glad you like the engine, I hope it all comes out that well, and I can show off the engine parts when it's done.

Well, this weekend is President's Day, so I have a three day weekend, so maybe there will be time for lots of progress.

Speaking of progress though, I've just some more on this one. I got the prop all mocked up, just to see how it would look. There are some sink marks in the prop blade roots, but those have been filled with Mr. Surfacer and then sanded smooth.

Then everything was taken outside for a coat of primer! It's Mr. Surfacer 1200, thinned down with lacquer thinner. I love using the stuff as a primer, because it provides a consistent finish, and can fill in some of the fine scratches, and highlight anything that still needs to be fixed before the metal goes on. :speak_cool:

J7WShinden064.jpg

J7WShinden063.jpg

J7WShinden065.jpg

It looks really good, there are just a few more trouble spots to take care of, then it's time for the Alclad and markings over the top.

J7WShinden071.jpg

J7WShinden070.jpg

J7WShinden072.jpg

J7WShinden068.jpg

J7WShinden066.jpg

J7WShinden067.jpg

J7WShinden069.jpg

All of the trouble spots have been hit with some Mr. Surfacer 1000, and once it's dry, will be cleaned up, and another coat of primer to try and find and fix any other errors that get found.

This build is really going along great, I'm really enjoying it. I hope that you're all enjoying how this one is going, I hope to get it done in the next couple of weeks, once I source the tail markings. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading in everybody, all of your reading and comments are always great!

Hope to be back soon.

Well, I guess I was more productive today than I thought I would be. This evening, after dinner I was able to go out and put the first coat of Alclad down on the Shinden. It's just a coat of Alclad Alumnium, misted on in successive coats in order to build up the shade. Turns out all of the seams were hidden, but there were some small scratches that will need to be taken care still, and a couple of panel lines I need to finish scribing in to really complete things. Now I'll let the Alclad harden up, then set in with the other colors, using the rest of my Alclad shades. :thumbsup:

J7WShinden073.jpg

J7WShinden074.jpg

J7WShinden075.jpg

J7WShinden077.jpg

J7WShinden076.jpg

Alclad is such an amazing paint, I always love how it looks on the plane.

That's all for now, I hope you're all enjoying how it's coming along. I know I'm having fun with this. Can't wait to get all of the rest of the paint on it.

Thanks to everyone for reading in, and I hope to have some more progress going in the morning. :speak_cool:

Awesome! Just put in an order from Squadron for the Techmod 1/72 decals for the Ki-61. That should give me the crests for the tails. Has anyone worked with Techmod stuff and can comment on their quality? For 4 dollars, I feel I can't go too wrong, but will they be a massive headache?

Hi Matt,

Nice to see you moving to the exterior painting.

Look forward to seeing more updates.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Christian. I do actually have an update I'll put up here in a couple of minutes, I got through the rest of the metal painting on the outside.

I'm glad you like the work done so far, I'm really enjoying this build so far.

Thanks for stopping in to comment. :thumbsup:

Matt,

Fantastic! That Alclad has really changed the look. I used Techmod a few years ago on a P-47, and found them to be pretty thin.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom! Good to know that the Techmod decals will be good to use, I'm hoping I don't have to mask and spray the tail crest. :speak_cool:

I'm glad you like how the Alclad has gone on. I really love using Alclad for stuff, it's such a great paint to work with and apply.

I've actually finished up the Alclad work, did about 4 or 5 different shades on the outside. I figured that if Japan was having a metal shortage in 1945, it only would have been worse by the end of the year into 1946, so I was able to do a bit more of a patch-work metal finish with this one. The next step are all of the markings that will make this one unique to Kobayashi, and then the green mottles all over! :thumbsup:

J7WShinden080.jpg

J7WShinden082.jpg

J7WShinden083.jpg

J7WShinden084.jpg

J7WShinden086.jpg

J7WShinden088.jpg

J7WShinden081.jpg

J7WShinden089.jpg

J7WShinden085.jpg

I really hope that you're all enjoying this build, I know I am. This Shinden is really an amazing kit, Z-M should really be applauded for producing this kit, and for the great price. I don't have school tomorrow, so I hope to get some of the personal markings on tomorrow, maybe the white and blue stripes, and the red tails. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for reading in on this build, it's great to know people like this build so far.

Great progress Matt I have used Alcad now for some time whit the black base coat and it I am surprised every time of the result great paint.

Hope to see more.

Johan

Thanks Johan! I do love using the Alclad, but for some reason, always spray it over a grey base coat. Not really sure why, I just always have. I'll be sure to give the gloss black some time.

Well, today was a productive day at the bench, I got all of the color done on the Shinden, minus the anti-glare panel at the front. All of the colors used on here are Tamiya acrylics, thinned with lacquer thinner, and sprayed with my Paasche Millennium airbrush, with the No.1 needle installed. The red and white are simply Tamiya XF-7 and XF-2, while the blue is XF-2 mixed with Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue, and XF-5 Flat Blue, to give it the right shade. After this had all dried, the stripes were masked off, and I set to work on the green mottled stuff. That took about an hour to hour and a half to spray all of it down, but I think it came out well. it's a mix of Tamiya XF-13 J.A. Green, and XF-70 Dark Green to get the proper color. This was really thinned down, and worked one little splotch at a time to get it all looking right. If you look close, you'll see I masked off one panel to look like a field repair, and masked off the area around the Hinomaru insignia, which seemed to be the practice at the time.

Enough of my ramblings, here are the pictures from today's work.

J7WShinden096.jpg

J7WShinden097.jpg

J7WShinden098.jpg

J7WShinden099.jpg

J7WShinden100.jpg

And once all of the tape came off, we were left with....

J7WShinden103.jpg

J7WShinden105.jpg

J7WShinden104.jpg

And one small mistake to fix on the right side nose.

J7WShinden106.jpg

This thing is really starting to shape up. The next step is to do the anti-glare panel, and the red stripe around the rear of the fuselage, then decal, weather, and done! :thumbsup:

Thanks for stopping in and reading everyone. I hope that you're all enjoying this build, I hope to not disappoint with it. Looks like this is on track to get done before the big contest on March 24th, with time to spare in case I make mistakes.

I hope to be back soon with more progress! :speak_cool:

Been following those last days and I was just about to write that I look forward to see some mottling on it and bang !

Too late: here they are :speak_cool:

Matt, this realy looks great to me.

I am loving it big time my friend.

It's starting to really look the part, for sure.

Thanks Kevin! I'm glad that you like how it's coming along. It should look even better once the rest of the paintwork and weathering come out well, I want this one to look slightly used, but not as weathered as my last few builds.

The Mig is looking awesome! :thumbsup:

Been following those last days and I was just about to write that I look forward to see some mottling on it and bang !

Too late: here they are :speak_cool:

Matt, this realy looks great to me.

I am loving it big time my friend.

Thanks Loic. I'm really glad that you like it. I'm sorry for beating you to the punch with the painting, I was just on a roll this morniing and kept painting. I know the green isn't as heavy as I've seen in some of my pictures, but I think that this is a good representation of the cam scheme. Can't wait to get the rest of the color and the decals on this one.

I'm glad you think it looks good. I've always admired your builds, so that comment means a lot to me. :bow: :thumbsup:

Keep up the amazing work on the Dormier. I can't wait to see what goes next with that one.