HK Models 1/32 Avro Lancaster

Royboy

Having got very excited recently about the announcement from HK Models of an Avro Lancaster Mk III in 1/32 scale I thought I'd investigate why they wanted to start with this version?

First reaction from me was why not start with the Mk1 as a prelude to the other marks?

Now it's been a while since I brushed up on my Lanc info so after a few minutes with my nose stuck into my references I answered my own question quite easily.

It seems that HK might at least have done some basic research on all of the aircraft's versions to maximise sales by choosing this particular mark!

The Mk III was only a Packard Merlin engined version of the Mk 1.

The Mk III was adapted to carry the Tall Boy and Grand Slam bombs as well as the famous 'Bouncing Bomb' for the Ruhr Dams Raid.

The Mk X version had only minor internal equipment changes from the Mk III.

With only some additional changes to the mid and rear turrets (Frazer-Nash mid upper) and the (Rose-Rice rear turret of 2 x 0.5inch guns) it seems that you can get pretty much all of the major variants out of this one mark!

In addition:

The Mk VI just had an uprated engine (Merlin 85) was fitted with some radio countermeasures, and had the mid upper and nose gun turrets removed.

I just thought if you were as curious as me you might like to know this interesting bit of info.

Now, all I've got to do is hope that they get the model right and I'll be one very happy bunny! :rolleyes:

I'm also a very greedy bunny! I'm very hopeful that they'll follow it up with a HP Halifax!

Roy.

Edited by Royboy

Many of the Canadian built Mk X's had a Martin upper turret mounted quite a bit forward of the Frazer Nash location, it is noticeably different.

Many of the Canadian built Mk X's had a Martin upper turret mounted quite a bit forward of the Frazer Nash location, it is noticeably different.

Thanks for that extra info. Ron.

I now notice that the Martin turrets were on the later versions of the Mk X.

It seems because of the extra weight of the turret it was the reason why it had to be moved further forward.

Good job I wasn't in it, it'd have to be moved so far forward it would end up on the nose!! :D

I'm really looking forward to this one, warts and all!

Roy.

aren't these the people who screwed martin from wingscale over?

We know the business deal went sour for Martin, but he's encouraging us to buy the models so let's move on and look forward to his other Mitchell version when it arrives later this year.

At this rate it'll be a job to catch up again like last year!!!

Roy.

aren't these the people who screwed martin from wingscale over?

I am not sure that Martin ever claimed he was done over by these people. Many things can go wrong with a deal like this, and it could be seen as being racist to assume it is the Chinese partners at fault. FYI, a year or two ago I was in China working with a company there on an injection moulded kit, and I found them to be nothing if not totally gracious and helpful. However, I can see many reasons why things could go sour on a project like this, and if we pulled out or could not pay, then those people helping us would be entitled to recoup their costs by releasing whatever kits were underway.

I am not sure that Martin ever claimed he was done over by these people. Many things can go wrong with a deal like this, and it could be seen as being racist to assume it is the Chinese partners at fault. FYI, a year or two ago I was in China working with a company there on an injection moulded kit, and I found them to be nothing if not totally gracious and helpful. However, I can see many reasons why things could go sour on a project like this, and if we pulled out or could not pay, then those people helping us would be entitled to recoup their costs by releasing whatever kits were underway.

Well said. I, for one, am celebrating at the prospect of all those great new kits, both from HK Models and WingXL, and I don't much care about the details of the business deal that fell through. That Martin has put this behind him and is encouraging everyone else to do the same is good enough for me. If these upcoming kits do well, we can almost certainly look forward to others. Maybe someday I'll even have my long-dreamed-about 1/32 B-24, C-47, PBY and Ju-52.

Jerry Peterson

Having got very excited recently about the announcement from HK Models of an Avro Lancaster Mk III in 1/32 scale I thought I'd investigate why they wanted to start with this version?

First reaction from me was why not start with the Mk1 as a prelude to the other marks?

Now it's been a while since I brushed up on my Lanc info so after a few minutes with my nose stuck into my references I answered my own question quite easily.

It seems that HK might at least have done some basic research on all of the aircraft's versions to maximise sales by choosing this particular mark!

The Mk III was only a Packard Merlin engined version of the Mk 1.

The Mk III was adapted to carry the Tall Boy and Grand Slam bombs as well as the famous 'Bouncing Bomb' for the Ruhr Dams Raid.

With only some additional changes to the mid and rear turrets (Frazer-Nash mid upper) and the (Rose-Rice rear turret of 2 x 0.5inch guns) it seems that you can get pretty much all of the major variants out of this one mark!

In addition:

The Mk VI just had an uprated engine (Merlin 85) was fitted with some radio countermeasures, and had the mid upper and nose gun turrets removed.

I just thought if you were as curious as me you might like to know this interesting bit of info.

Now, all I've got to do is hope that they get the model right and I'll be one very happy bunny! :rolleyes:

I'm also a very greedy bunny! I'm very hopeful that they'll follow it up with a HP Halifax!

Roy.

Yes it is nice to hear that they are going to build a 1/32 Lanc, but I still want to do a 1:24 scale Lanc, so this is what I will do after the Hurri. I bought a 1:48 kit and will take as much measurements from the kit, then go and take measurements from a real one at Nanton which is about a 45 min drive south from where I live.

Regards

Richard

then go and take measurements from a real one at Nanton which is about a 45 min drive south from where I live.

Regards

Richard

We happen to be lucky enough to have two real ones within 45 minutes drive either north or south. :speak_cool:

As far as the MkX is concerned, aircraft built in Canada with serials 700 to 755 had the Fraser-Nash turret in the mid-upper while all others had the Martin turret..That is why the so-called Mynarski Lanc in Hamilton is technically incorrect

Barney

Yes it is nice to hear that they are going to build a 1/32 Lanc, but I still want to do a 1:24 scale Lanc, so this is what I will do after the Hurri. I bought a 1:48 kit and will take as much measurements from the kit, then go and take measurements from a real one at Nanton which is about a 45 min drive south from where I live.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

That's one big dude in 1/24 scale, I'm pushing it at 1/32.

If I engineer the wings to detach for storage and transport I'll get away with it!

The largest model Lancaster I've seen so far here in the U.K was R/C, I think 1/9 scale.

Boy, that was a monster!

Good luck with your project and I hope you'll do some WIP pix for us all when you start?

Roy.

Well said. I, for one, am celebrating at the prospect of all those great new kits, both from HK Models and WingXL, and I don't much care about the details of the business deal that fell through. That Martin has put this behind him and is encouraging everyone else to do the same is good enough for me. If these upcoming kits do well, we can almost certainly look forward to others. Maybe someday I'll even have my long-dreamed-about 1/32 B-24, C-47, PBY and Ju-52.

Jerry Peterson

Did you say a PBY? Looks as though this is being developed by Kingscale in 1/32: http://amg.cdc.cz/kat109.html

Obant

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Fixed quoting issues

Did you say a PBY? Looks as though this is being developed by Kingscale in 1/32: http://amg.cdc.cz/kat109.html

Obant

Now that looks very intriguing. At first I thought it was a vacuform kit (which I don't do), but on closer examination, I can see that it's injection. All that interior detail is nothing short of amazing. Could precise detailing like that, inside and out, be the start of a new trend in kit production as new technologies come into use? I suspect this kit won't be cheap, but then, cost isn't a concern for me now that I'm retired and don't have many expenses. As for the other two from my wish list, the JU-52 and C-47, I understand Masterbox is working on those, but when or if they'll actually go into production seems to be an open question. At least I'll have plenty of other multi-engined 1/32 kits to keep me busy in the meantime.

Oh, and thanks for the info.

Jerry Peterson