Matchbox Spitfire 22/24

LSP_Kevin

OK fellas, I've been struggling on and off for a few days trying to scratch-build a particular bit of detail, but just can't manage it. Before giving up, I thought I'd seek advice from our scratch-building gurus. Basically, I want to represent the curved outer frame under the wing bulge in the photo below:

18.jpg

I've tried bending thin strips of plastic, bending heavy self-adhesive aluminium tape, cutting the entire shape out of both materials...nothing has come off so far. I tried using a cardstock template, binding 2 #11 blades together...but I can't get two evenly-spaced, curved cuts into the thin material. This is the ideal problem for PE to solve, and perhaps there's an opportunity here for me to give it a whirl (chemical etching without the 'photo' part), but that's a project in itself!

Does anybody else have any other suggestions? Derek - how would you do it?

Kev

Sorry Kev, I haven't looked in for a while. I had to look at the photographs of my wing again to see exactly what I did, and mine were basically made up from various thicknesses of plastic card with seperate end webb flanges that I recall curving to the correct radii shape after I glued them in place - it does look a little different from your reference photograph (I think that my reference must have differed slightly in this area) - I still have to go through all of this again when I make my new wing master patterns!

Your work is looking very good so far Kev, all very neat and tidy. :goodjob:

Cheers

Derek

Kev

You've made decent progress.. Like the wheel bay work, it'll look fine once its all painted up. I've had similar issues, especially trying to get a profile (L or H shaped) to go around a curve. Someone needs to release profile strip in something like electrical wiring is wrapped in (vinyl or the like), jobs like this would be a breeze then...

Matt

Edit - maybe thin strips could be cut from wire insulation and glued on...? Too late for this job, but.....

Edited by mattlow

Derek, Matt: many thanks for looking in. I've stalled on this one for the moment, and have taken a temporary break from modelling while I resume work on the website upgrade project. I might pull something simple out of the stash to work on while I do though.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Well, believe it or not I've actually done some work on this one! Not a lot, but at least it's something. I got fed up with working on the wheel bays (trying to avoid them actually), so I thought I might start assembling the wings. If you're at all familiar with this kit, you'll know that the wing assembly is a ridiculous multi-piece affair that almost guarantees you'll have problems. I started by gluing the black 'spar' pieces to the dark grey centre section (4 parts so far), and then the two lower wing parts to that assembly (6 parts and counting):

zVeb6X.jpg

I reinforced the joins with some styrene strip, followed by a liberal dose of super glue:

QnURcl.jpg

At this point I thought I might tape everything up to see what I might be in for, so I added the two top wing sections, plus to two separate root fillet pieces (total: 10 pieces!). Here's the result:

MERHr8.jpg

Overall it's not bad, but will require some careful gluing and clamping to ensure optimal alignment. Still a bit concerned about the way the fuselage will mate with this assembly, but I can only cross my fingers and hope for the best.

And now, my customary question. The bottom section is built from 3 main parts as we've seen, but that leaves some very prominent seams where they join:

XO0BaC.jpg

I've done some preliminary filling with styrene strip, but did this mark of Spitfire actually have panel lines in those locations? I'm hoping the answer is 'no' so I can fill and blend them. If the joins are supposed to represent actual panel lines, restoring them won't be much fun at all!

Kev

Hi Kev,

This is looking pretty good so far... not easy to get that wheel well sorted.. but I like what you have done so far! I have always looked at these areas as a place to expand skills and get creative, and it looks to me like you have done exactly that!

She is coming along nicely!! Keep up the great work and PLEASE keep posting pics!

Cheers and happy modelling mate!

Alan

Anyone?

:tumble:

Kev

I've done some preliminary filling with styrene strip, but did this mark of Spitfire actually have panel lines in those locations? I'm hoping the answer is 'no' so I can fill and blend them. If the joins are supposed to represent actual panel lines, restoring them won't be much fun at all!

Hi Kev,

I'd need to look at the underside of one of these aircraft, but I believe that the panels in this area changed little from the earlier marks in terms of design and method of fixture. The centre panel on your fuselage represents the aircraft fuselage - this was a flattened oval shape in cross-section. The wing skins ended just inboard of the radiators. The plates either side of the fuselage up to the radiators were closing plates or panels which were fastened onto the outside of the wing and fuselage to fill the otherwise big gaps in the airframe. I would represent these as very slightly raised sheet work (I would use paint build up, decal or very thin vinyl to represent these panels).

glaspit06.jpg

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Nice work a one tough kit. Sure don't envy you fixing the wheel wells and lower wing joints: nasty.

Will be following with great interest as you work your way through the Spit build.

Peter

XO0BaC.jpg

I've done some preliminary filling with styrene strip, but did this mark of Spitfire actually have panel lines in those locations?

Have just got the SAM Griffon powered Spitfire book, with plans, and you'll be delighted to know it does! Just got the kit too - built one about 100 years ago when I had bad 1970's hair - the things parents do to kids, thank God for punk! - think I'll be filling in all the panel lines with stretched sprue and rescribing the whole lot... :punk: