Matchbox Spitfire 22/24

LSP_Kevin

This build has been moved from the Fallen Comrades Group Build when it failed to be finished by the deadline.

I haven't participated in a GB for a while, but this one's close to my heart, so I thought I'd at least prepare an entry. I actually plan to enter more than one build if I can (yeah, right!). Anyway, this one is the venerable Matchbox Spitfire 22/24 kit, in original box:

Ett6TU.jpg

In trying to work out what kit to build, I ended up choosing this one for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the box is getting pretty flimsy and increasingly difficult to keep in the stash. Secondly, Ray recently sent me the Iconicair cowling correction set for this kit (thanks Ray!), so it seemed a good time to finally build this one.

jGmxeE.jpg

Here's a photo of the box contents:

UHA41h.jpg

Typical mid-'70s Matchbox, complete with multi-coloured plastic. The decals look shot, but contain some nice schemes. I'm thinking of ordering the new Xtradecal set for this kit, or alternatively using masks. I'm also hoping to replace as many of the kit's 'smalls' as possible with aftermarket bits.

This will be my first LSP Spitfire since I was about 12 years old! I'm dedicating this to all our fallen comrades; the next build, if I can fit it in, will be dedicated to my friend Russ.

Kev

I've also brought this kit out from my stash recently and have acquired some AM things like a corrected nose, vac canopy, etc. from Grey Matter

Does anybody know if there are any large differences between a 22/24 cockpit and a Mk. IX?

Stein

Ah, a vac canopy! I think I'll have to go find that one. I think Master Model makes some cannon fittings suitable for this kit too. I don't know enough about this kit, this aircraft, or Spitfires in general to make any comments about the cockpit, unfortunately, but the kit one is definitely typical of the era. In other words, it will need some work!

Kev

Bookmarked.

Interesting decals in the original box ... I looked up the green roundals; Nigeria? I had no idea (no surprise there) that Nigeria had an airforce let alone flew Spitfires. The saying you learn something new everyday is as true today as it ever was.

Anyway, looking forward to watching this unfold.

Obant.

Interesting decals in the original box ... I looked up the green roundals; Nigeria?

Apparently they're Egyptian Grant. Apart from the unusual green colouring of the national markings, it's quite a plain scheme. Would be unusual though. I still have to work out what I'm doing markings-wise, but I did find the vac canopy on Grey Matter's site, so I'll order that soon.

Kev

Grey Matter Figures also make a correction set for that kit. I have an example and it's quite nice. It also comes with:

Replacement cannons

Wheels

Radiators

Chin scoop

Vac rear canopy

Exhaust pipes

Beautiful spinner and 5 blade prop

tail wheel and mount

I would bet a quick note off to them to see if you can get some of these bits separately would prove successful. They've sent me separate wheels from the set in the past.

I'll be watching this one for sure. I have the exact same kit I plan on using this set on some day.

Cheers

Grey Matter Figures also make a correction set for that kit. I have an example and it's quite nice.

Thanks Ron. I've just ordered the vac canopy, but never thought to ask about the other parts. My budget doesn't allow me to purchase a big set like that, but I'll get hold of what I can afford, as and when I need it.

Kev

Looking forward to seeing what you a complish on this build, Kevin. I hear ya about the tight budget, as I hardly can buy any of that stuff due to budget constraints as well. That is why I am I am constantly hacking on the older or unwanted kits. I also like the challenge!

Thor

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank Tim and the guys at Grey Matter Figures for their excellent service. I ordered their vac canopy for this kit, and despite the payment going wrong, they were able to sort it out and get the product to me with no problems whatsoever - and quick too! A big thumbs-up from me.

Now, a quick question if I may. Is the Master Model cannon set featured at the following link correct for this aircraft?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250995379080

Kev

I just wanted to thank Tim and the guys at Grey Matter Figures for their excellent service. I ordered their vac canopy for this kit, and despite the payment going wrong, they were able to sort it out and get the product to me with no problems whatsoever - and quick too! A big thumbs-up from me.

Now, a quick question if I may. Is the Master Model cannon set featured at the following link correct for this aircraft?

http://www.ebay.com....tm/250995379080

Kev

GMF are good, aren't they?:speak_cool:

Yes Kev, they the correct cannon type for this aircraft - I also sell them as well (http://eshop.eclipsemodels.co.uk/epages/BT4380.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4380/Products/%22EMD%20A32001%22).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Yes Kev, they the correct cannon type for this aircraft - I also sell them as well (http://eshop.eclipsemodels.co.uk/epages/BT4380.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4380/Products/%22EMD%20A32001%22).

Ah, I'd totally forgotten about that Derek! :doh: I've just gone and bought the Master Model ones. I'll definitely do better at keeping yours in mind the next time I need some. Thanks for confirming their appropriateness though.

Kev