1st WIP- 1/32 Hasegawa SAAF P-40K

blunce

I'm building this for a friend. He built a Revell issue a long time ago (1972) in these markings, which he handpainted. He wanted to build it again, better this time, with actual decals, but unfortunately, before he could get to it, some medical issues have all but prevented him from building anything. I told him I would be honored to build it for him since he couldn't anymore.

JD1em.jpg

Zupvy.jpg

tA3pd.jpg

I've never been too fond of the Eduard prepainted items, mainly because the colors are usually incorrect and also because the few times I have used them, I haven't weathered the parts any. So, I decided to spray a flat clear coat over the top of all the prepainted stuff to facilitate some weathering later in the form of filters and pastels. This will 1. allow weathering, and 2. allow me to alter the color a bit if needed to get it closer to the correct color, though I don't see much if anything that will need to be altered.

The color fret as it comes from Eduard:

jra3n.jpg

and after a clear flat coat has been applied. Not sure if a difference is really noticeable in the pics, but I can see it IRL

cTck3.jpg

71GI8.jpg

ioCK0.jpg

VgQZT.jpg

VqZ2b.jpg

h4kq9.jpg

Edited by blunce

Nice looking build! Never would have thought of using white glue for a mask! If you dont mind me asking did the clear over coat on the PE prevent it from cracking the paint when it was bent? Always happens to me :BANGHEAD2: The touch ups never match! keep up the good work

Nice looking build! Never would have thought of using white glue for a mask! If you dont mind me asking did the clear over coat on the PE prevent it from cracking the paint when it was bent? Always happens to me :BANGHEAD2: The touch ups never match! keep up the good work

Not sure if it was the reason it didn't crack or I was just lucky, but, yeah, there was no crackin' to be had! :bow:

This is extremely nice work, and I agree with Jeroen - I hope it won't be your last contribution here! I especially appreciate your clear and detailed explanations, along with your great photography. Looking forward to more!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Awesome start for a project with a terrific story behind it. Looking forward to following along and enjoying the build as well

Peter

:speak_cool:

Looks great! Very true on the dihedral on the Has P-40.

As im in the middle of finishing my E up as well, I found that even after the spar is in place, there will still be a bit of a gap, or at least there was on mine. Basically it went from horrible to not as bad, but still a gap. I too applied both rear cockpit halves on their respective halves prior to assembly.

Cheers, and hope to see more!

Brian

Wow fella - really nice save on all of those parts

Which decal versions are you making - the one with the springboks n the front?

Welcome to LSP Matepost1.gif

Ads

Edited by Ads

Which decal versions are you making - the one with the springboks n the front?

Ads

This one:

Zupvy.jpg

Thanks everyone for the compliments and welcome! I figure I've been registered here since '09, probably ought to get something built huh?

Edited by blunce