1/48 MQ-9 Reaper

WrongWay

After seeing this kit built up I just had to get one. The fit is fantastic so far. The only trouble I've had is with broken parts due to rough handling during shipment. Apparently someone saw fit to run over my box with a steam roller! :doh: The sprues actually left an impression in the lid. I'll manage though and so far I'm enjoying this simple build. I plan on doing a small dio for it as well.

The Reaper is big! Here it is next to my 1/32 Ju88.

IMG_8738.jpg

Aluminum tubing was crimped and stretched to form the intake and exhaust. Otherwise you will have no detail in here and will be able to see through the model.

IMG_8972.jpg

IMG_8757.jpg

IMG_8773.jpg

I added the splitter for the intake from plastic card.

IMG_8929.jpg

As noted in other builds the prop is pitched in the wrong direction and will need to be corrected. I've reshaped the blades to match my references and will begin seperating them and repitching soon.

IMG_8961.jpg

Only the wings are glued together in these photos which shows you how good the fit really is. Very little filling is required.

IMG_8915.jpg

I have considered getting one of these, thanks for the review on the kit! I may just have to get one now! :wicked:

You won't be disappointed! It makes for a quick build and it's definitely something different for the collection.

Cheers,

Don

What a cool model. Made by whom?

This is made by Skunk Models Workshop.

Here is a link to the review.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev4/3701-3800/rev3779-Skunkworks-Reaper-Johnson/00.shtm

They also make the Global Hawk if the Reaper is not big enough for you. :D I don't have this one yet but I'm considering it.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/reviews/kits/skunkmodels48009reviewbg_1.htm

Cheers,

Don

These are beautiful kits.

I know what you mean by the rough handling. I bought the Global Hawk (it's freaking huge by the way!) and the Reaper, and the boxes have no structure really and crumple very easily, they don't survive well via postage regardless of what the seller packs around it. Mine arrived crumpled too, but after a quick sprue check it was good to go.

I'll be watching this build as I love seeing these made up, and the approaches everyone takes to make their model a little different. The tubing idea is great, I must remember to do that.

Edited by Deigs

These are beautiful kits.

I know what you mean by the rough handling. I bought the Global Hawk (it's freaking huge by the way!) and the Reaper, and the boxes have no structure really and crumple very easily, they don't survive well via postage regardless of what the seller packs around it. Mine arrived crumpled too, but after a quick sprue check it was good to go.

I'll be watching this build as I love seeing these made up, and the approaches everyone takes to make their model a little different. The tubing idea is great, I must remember to do that.

My box was the same and the seller put it into another box just as flimsy. Mostly fiddly bits like the pitot tube and the top fin were broken. Just a few extra parts to construct is all! ;)

Cheers,

Don

I found out today that all the Skunk kits are sold through Squadron here in the US. I've never had anything mangled by their delivery service.

Skunk kits

I bought my kit through e-Bay to save a few bucks or so I thought. It came in from Hong Kong. Probably on the bottom on the palette.

Cheers,

Don