TAMIYA OR TRUMPETER: F14A/B TOMCAT 1:32 ???

Artful69

If you want a -B model OOTB, then Trumpeter is your only option. If you want an -A, then you can go either way. For price, check for the best deal. Both kits are expensive.

Here's an old review of the latest Tamiya boxing (Note the since that was written , Aires has released a cockpit set and Eduard has released PE)

http://kits.kitreview.com/f1432rveiewdw_1.htm

For some thoughts on the Trumpeter kits:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=241367

Edited by Dave Williams

If you want a -B model OOTB, then Trumpeter is your only option. If you want an -A, then you can go either way. For price, check for the best deal. Both kits are expensive.

Here's an old review of the latest Tamiya boxing (Note the since that was written , Aires has released a cockpit set and Eduard has released PE)

http://kits.kitreview.com/f1432rveiewdw_1.htm

For some thoughts on the Trumpeter kits:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=241367

Thanks Dave ....

I'm a WW2/Luftwaffe buff normally ... and I therefore know 3/8ths of 4/5ths of stuff all about modern jet fighters ...

... but I wanted a US Navy Aviation job as a side project

What is the difference between A and B are they THAT dissimilar???

Rog

Are you stuck on an F-14? Because if all you're looking for is a large scale US Navy jet there are some better (IMHO) options out there by way of the Tamiya F-4J Phantom or Academy F/A-18C Hornet.

My 2 sheckles,

Marc B.

Are you stuck on an F-14? Because if all you're looking for is a large scale US Navy jet there are some better (IMHO) options out there by way of the Tamiya F-4J Phantom or Academy F/A-18C Hornet.

My 2 sheckles,

Marc B.

Thanks Marc

and F16's and F15's and F22's *sigh* ... the list goes on ... It's worse than their WW2 carrier stuff - all over the place?? ... Looks like I'm going to have to study up to work out what was when and what succeeded what?!

Rog :)

As originally built, the F-14B was basically an -A model with GE engines (it was originally called the A+) and externally looked the same except for the exhausts. Over time, both the -A and -B were upgraded with various lumps and bumps, stiffening plates, chin pods, and except for the engines and a few specific -B only mods like the HUD, they looked pretty similar through their lifetimes.

The various boxings of the Tamiya kit represent various configurations of the -A models, from a relatively early configuration in the original boxing, to a relatively late configuration (externally - the cockpit was unchanged in all of the boxings) up the last Black Knights boxing.

The Trumpeter kit represents and early to middle era A model with only A-A ordnance, the gill style gun vents, no ECM bumps, and the round screen in the rear cockpit. The undernose TCS is in the box for one of the options. The kit does include some late model stuff like the square display in the rear pit and some of the ECM bumps in the box, labeled not for use.

The Trumpeter kit is from my perspective a great launch point for an amazing model.

From the box it will give you an excellent result. With some effort and resin you will get a far better result Han an equivalent amount of work with the Tamiya kit.

Both kits have minor faults the Trumpeter kit the non parallel intakes the Tamiya kit canopy is off not being true omega shape and wrong fuselage sides.

Either will still give you an awesome build and wonderful Cat but for me he Trumpeter kit is a no brainer choice irrespective of price difference.

• 11 months later...