ZM He 219 confirmed in SAMI

Kagemusha

I'd hope Revell would be charged a considerable sum for any investigation. I'm supporting the raising of this airframe, and it's costing a fortune to salvage it.

I agree, but what a fantastic opportunity we have here to get a near complete Do17 airframe!

It does make you wonder what else lies down there in the mud and marshes around the world doesn't it, I bet there's still much more to be had yet! :speak_cool:

Roy.

Unfortunately, the Do17 in the sea may be beyond rescue...

Aluminium corrodes very badly in sea water when it is in the presence of other metals, especially ferrous metals such as steel. Anyone who goes to the Battle of Britain hall in Hendon can see the remains of a Hurricane pulled fom the sea. The aluminium parts looks like Swiss cheese while guns and engine steel parts are in much better condition. That is because of the complex electrochemical processes that take place when dissimilar metals are submerged in a saline solution. A better explanation can be found Here

So, sadly, chances are that the only parts that may be rescued from that crash site may be only the ferrous metal parts.

Hth,

Radu

Edited by Radub

Actually Radu, that is really dependent on a lot of conditions, is it covered in sand, how cold is the water, depth etc. This aircraft was recovered in the North Sea. It's nearly pristine.

img_8370.jpg

This article claims the aircraft was sand covered and in remarkably good shape.

Actually Radu, that is really dependent on a lot of conditions, is it covered in sand, how cold is the water, depth etc. This aircraft was recovered in the North Sea. It's nearly pristine.

I'll agree that is in very good shape. I've seen more heavily weathered aircraft on display at modeling contests.

ok this is what,is what just go what you what rog,zm so what is the big deal <_< i would never buy the skyraider why :mental: me,myself,i will go with rog me iam not rich and iam happy that someone rog,zm are coming out with these kits but who cares just build it and not pick it apart hell its not even out yet! :shrug:

I'll agree that is in very good shape. I've seen more heavily weathered aircraft on display at modeling contests.

:rofl:

Rigor...sheesh...find your "Shift" key will you mate. :wacko: Nearly needed a cypher for your post. ;)

Cheers Matty

This is a bit of a pet subject for me, and I'm glad that Revell haven't jumped on the Do-17Z.

If Revell pressed ahead with the Do-17Z now, they would not have an original example available to measure. Now I don't know what plans and drawings relating to this aircraft survive, but there's no substitute for studying the real thing. All of Revell's recent 1/32 releases have involved study of complete airframes during restoration, and this once more is the case with the He-219.

Take into account that there is a substantially complete Do-17Z underwater, which the RAF Museum intends to recover this year. A Do-17Z produced in a few years will benefit from vastly improved research material. The people at Revell aren't stupid, I'd be astonished if this isn't a major consideration to them,

Cheers,

Bill.

Hey!!!! ... I remember reading about this on the net ... so RAF are looking to raise it now are they?? ... well ... if that is the case - the wait by RoG would be explained and justified I guess :/ ... still ... with the obvious vocal market out there (since the Ju88 and He111 releases) ... it looks like theres more than RoG prepared to jump on the bandwagon ... Trumpeter just announced a Ju87B didn't they ... maybe someone else will jump em??

Rog :)

What do you mean? My post is perfectly formated and punctuated on my iPhone screen. Does it appear different on yours?

lol ... Wrong reply button!!! ... He was replying to Rigor's post on this page ... have a read :D

I've always liked this plane, so I am pleased to hear of it's pending release and I will certainly buy one of the releases for sure (if not both). Two options on a subject like this is unheard of.... anyone who claims our hobby is dying or LSP's are not the flavour needs to really wake up. Talk about LSP bonanza years of late.....

On an off note, why did they call this plane the Uhu (Owl), it looks like a grasshopper/locust to me?????

I've always liked this plane, so I am pleased to hear of it's pending release and I will certainly buy one of the releases for sure (if not both). Two options on a subject like this is unheard of.... anyone who claims our hobby is dying or LSP's are not the flavour needs to really wake up. Talk about LSP bonanza years of late.....

On an off note, why did they call this plane the Uhu (Owl), it looks like a grasshopper/locust to me?????

It's been bonanza years all 'round mate!! ... 1/35 scale Armour/figurines have been WAY OTT for the last 5+ years ... Dragon are leading the way - but there are plenty of others and plenty of choice ... now on this last bit I MAY be mistaken, but I THINK that because Owl's are a preditary bird, operating mainly at night with excellent vision/hearing and being silent ... this may be where it gets it's name as opposed to it's shape????

Maybe Guttorm can chime in here and explain it better than me - he has actual first-hand experience of such stuff.

When I met him in Oslo, he told me that he had parts from a Ju 88 recovered from the sea and parts from a Ju88 recoved from a lake, and the difference was radical. Also, according to him, restoring aluminium recovered from the sea is futile. Apparently the aluminium continues to degrade even when pulled out of the sea water.

I guess that the Do17 can be used as a template to manufacture new parts from fresh alminium - this is the method of choice for the restoration of airframes pulled from the sea. This is also an explanation for the "expense" required by such "restoration".

I do not know what happened to that FW190. Yes, the photos of the airframe emerging from the sea are amazing, but are there any photos of the actual "restoration"? I do not know of any, but I am willing to bet that you will see an awful lot of fresh and shiny new aluminium there.

In as far as I know, for such a "new build" to be considered a "restoration" all that is needed is an original dataplate.

Radu

img_8370.jpg