ZM He 219 confirmed in SAMI

Kagemusha

Well, as good as the Z-M kits are, I'll be buying two copies of the Revell kit only!

What is Z-M thinking about?

They have a superb opportunity to do some fantastic Japanese subjects that modelers are pawing the ground for, like the Kate/Val/Tony/Jill/Grace/George and they go for a He219 when Revell have already announced one?

What about a Me410 or a Do335 or even a Hs129?

I suppose it's their time and money but it doesn't make any sense to me at all?

I do hope that they get plenty of buyers for it though, I just know I won't be one of them. :(

Roy.

What is Z-M thinking about?

......and they go for a He219 when Revell have already announced one?

Do you think that ZM thought "Mmm, Revell are doing a He 219, so we shall do one'? The Revell He 219 was only accidentally announced in November at Telford. Do you think they rushed this through in the wake of that?

Honestly? Have you any idea what goes into kit development with regard to research and resources? It's not a case of knock up a drawing on CAD, send it to a moulding factory, and then you have 1000's of kits roll off the line.

The He 219 was already under-way in the first quarter of 2010, so you can probably then guess the late level of development this kit is at with regard to test shots. I couldn't say who will release first. Who knows?

Suffice to say though that ZM don't copy other companies. That would be commercial suicide.

Edited by James H

Nice now we got two :blink:

I expect the Revell kit wil cost me 55 Euro I can only hope they include a engine.

And I do love the detail of my shinden kit still the others are for me way to expansive.

Maybe the new Europe distributor will get the prices at a nicer level.

It's funny how western guys think about their own world as a reflection of the rest of the world.

There is an enormous modelleing community in Japan and ZM will happily thrive on sales from Japan alone.

Given the massive import taxes on items going into Japan even if the Revell kit is half the price of the ZM kit in the West it will still be the same if not pricier on Japanese shelves.

Hence you can buy a ZM kit with all the bells and whistles for the same price as a maybe basic Revell kit. Given Japanese loyalties it will outsell Revell in Japan 10-1.

ZM has made a decent splash in the West but the home market is what pays their bills.

On the other hand i think they are going to struggle to move Mustangs!

ZM will happily thrive on sales from Japan alone.

Really?!?

I completely disagree with that.

I understand that their home market is part of their bread and butter, but if it was their ONLY B & B they would not be bothering to push their products at the largest shows in western countries and push the advertising directed at western countries like they do.

I had several conversations with Mr. Shigeta through his translator @ the US NATs back in Aug of last year (with my NATS / LSP badge possibly gaining me a tad more access as they indicated their knowledge and liking of LargeScalePlanes.com) , and they confirmed on several occasions not only their desire to "make it" in the western markets, but the need to make a good showing and good sales in the western countries. From the couple small interviews I did with them Mr. Shigeta make it clear it was a "critical mission" of theirs.

I guarantee that sales of certain products of theirs in Japan alone would not keep them afloat.

Or else why bother spending the massive amounts they have on traveling, showing, debuting, advertising and promoting all of their products so heavily in western countries?

If Japan alone was a sustainable market for them they would not be wasting all of that money and instead directing it to their only market, Japan.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Perhaps a little analagous is the Arado 196 kits from HpH and Revell.

I have both. The Revell costs less and has less. The HpH is insanely nice with amazing coloured PE and extra detail.

Both are clearly fabulous models though even if they are different in many ways.

I think the glass is half full...if we have two UHU kits we get to chose either/or and sometimes both.

I hope ZM do well if only because they appear committed to bringing something quality and detailed to the market. I'm looking forward to whatever they do. WNW and ZM are bringing us great kits. Revell is rising from the ashes like a friend from our childhood.

1/32 scale is rocking so I'd better build faster!

Cheers Matty

Perhaps a little analagous is the Arado 196 kits from HpH and Revell.

I have both. The Revell costs less and has less. The HpH is insanely nice with amazing coloured PE and extra detail.

Both are clearly fabulous models though even if they are different in many ways.

I think the glass is half full...if we have two UHU kits we get to chose either/or and sometimes both.

I hope ZM do well if only because they appear committed to bringing something quality and detailed to the market. I'm looking forward to whatever they do. WNW and ZM are bringing us great kits. Revell is rising from the ashes like a friend from our childhood.

1/32 scale is rocking so I'd better build faster!

Cheers Matty

Cant deny ANY of that Matty!

Cheers,

Brian

Happy to agree to is agree Brian.

Having spent a lot of time in Japan and seen instances of 60 copies of one new 32nd release kit walk out of one shop in Tokyo in one afternoon ZM can quite comfortably survive off the home market when competing against Revell.

That does not mean they have no interest in the rest of the world which would be crazy to ignore. in fact as you said ZM are going to great lengths to woo western modellers. Good luck to them as I have quite a few of there kits.

The point is ZM like Hasegawa pick up the cream on top with sales outside Japan but they survive by sales from home. If the rest of he world was the number 1 market for instance Hasegawa would of released a new tool P-51 long ago..instead they focus on big money spinners in there main market..Japan.

New tool..Ki61.ki-84..ki44 etc.

What Revell do really will not effect ZM except outside Japan so don't expect a change of Tac anytime soon.

The Japanese market is massive..way more massive than people who have not been to large Japanese shops can appreciate..the Volks shop in Osaka for instance is 5 stories high..it is one of 7 shops all multistory within 500m.

Anyway I'm sure a Revell He219 will affect sales in Europe and the States but as for home..doubt it massively..

Do you think that ZM thought "Mmm, Revell are doing a He 219, so we shall do one'? The Revell He 219 was only accidentally announced in November at Telford. Do you think they rushed this through in the wake of that?

Suffice to say though that ZM don't copy other companies. That would be commercial suicide.

I'm concerned that their worldwide sales could be affected by this duplication of their subjects by others, we all want to see Z-M succeed, but this is now the third subject that has clashed with other manufacturers, let's hope that their home sales will be good for them.

The difference between the profit and loss on a project could hinge on these duplications, all I'm saying is that there are some plum Japanese aircraft that are begging to be tooled.

Why are they not looking to do these first?

I very much appreciate the lead in time taken to do CAD and tooling, it's unfortunate that this has happened again and I'm sure I'm not the only one getting frustrated by this.

I hope the next one isn't duplicated for their sakes! :unsure:

Roy.

I'm concerned that their worldwide sales could be affected by this duplication of their subjects by others, we all want to see Z-M succeed, but this is now the third subject that has clashed with other manufacturers, let's hope that their home sales will be good for them.

I started thinking about it, and figured it up, its actually soon to be ALL of their subjects, save the Shinden, that will clash with / have competition with other manufacturers if you are including the Raiden and soon-to-be releases of the Owl and Spads -

- release #2 with PCM's Ta-152

- release #3 (soon to be) with Trumpy's A1-H

- release #4 with Tamiya's P-51D

- release #5 (soon to be) with Hasegawa's J2M3

- release #6 (soon to be) with Revell's He219

- release #7 (soon to be) with Trumpy's A1-J

Hrmmm, when its spelled out like that, it either looks like really poor R & D on their part or a run of VERY bad luck to start off with. :(

The difference between the profit and loss on a project could hinge on these duplications, all I'm saying is that there are some plum Japanese aircraft that are begging to be tooled.

Why are they not looking to do these first?

I very much appreciate the lead in time taken to do CAD and tooling, it's unfortunate that this has happened again and I'm sure I'm not the only one getting frustrated by this.

I hope the next one isn't duplicated for their sakes! :unsure:

Roy.

I wholeheartedly agree on wanting ZM to succeed. I have their Skyraider and my bro has a copy of their Shinden and I really, really do like both kits. I too hope maybe............just maybe, that they are re-thinking their release #5, (as pointed out in my other ZM thread HERE ) as their advert contains detailed info on releases 3, 4, 6 and 7 but is completely missing any references to release #5.

Maybe rethinking release #5 is why no mention of it anywhere these days? :unsure: Im not a huge Raiden fan but IF it wasnt too late, it might be one less of their release's to get major competition.

Brian