Special Hobby P-39D Airacobra

GVINCENT

Give this a read. The tail is nearly 7mm to short. I've built the kit and didn't worry about that but it does noticeably throw off the look of the plane.

Ron

A scale 8" (approximately) short. Hmmm....I'd think about cutting the fuselage apart and inserting a 0.276" piece of styrene in, blend it and call it good.

Thanks! I had read about the "shortness" and that is great to know.. I probably won't be doing anything about that though as it would probably lead to an unfinished model.. for me that is.

Are there any builds that outline construction/fit issues? issues?

Thanks again!

Gary

Based on our discussion on the Trumpy vs Eduard 109E series, I personally tend to take OP of the referenced thread's measurements with a grain of salt (since on another occasion he was claiming the Trumpy 109E nose was correct (using incorrect measurements) when the facts proved that it is indeed too short). Even in the referenced thread, OP has 3 different answers as to what the correct measurement should be, and ends up stating that the rear is not as short as he said at the beginning, but that the nose is also too short. Also, looking at his drawing, he added an additional 1" to his measurement for the skin thickness (???). Now, I acknowledge that he may be correct, but I have yet to see any proof one way or the other to substantiate the claim.

While I agree the perception of the SH P-39 tail is that it is too short, I will take my own measurements and compare the kit to other plans and even to 1/48 scale kits to validate. If I do anything, I'll do as Tim suggests and stick a styrene shim of a few mm's in the rear fuselage area and move on :)

Doug

Edited by DougN

Fit issues are greatest at the leading edge of the wings where the small airscoops are located, and again when mating the wing to the fuselage at this same area. I had no other problems that required as much putty and elbow grease.

Thanks 98Wrangler! Did you notice the instructions are wrong re the leading edge ducting? I you try to put the ducts in the way the instructions are printed you will find the parts call outs are transversed. C-34 should go where C-37 goes and vice versa... Have to keep my eyes open on this one!!!

Fit issues are greatest at the leading edge of the wings where the small airscoops are located, and again when mating the wing to the fuselage at this same area. I had no other problems that required as much putty and elbow grease.

Are you sure about the tail being that short? I wonder if the available drawings might be a bit duff?

just a thought.

Graham

No expert, but it looks short and a little fat to me? If the plane is in fact 30'-2" long then by my lick thumb math it is about 1/4" to short. My build measures 11.062" long which works out to 29'-6" making it 8" scale inches to short. 8" in 1/32 is 1/4"

I am not one to take these measures to seriously though, I am more of the school "if it looks right" it will do. In this case it does look short to me but that doesn't really bother me much.

Ron