Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Blue 12" WNr. 500570

Thunderbolt

Thanks guys! There is still so much more work to be done. This morning, I had to trim my scratch-built engine piece to accommodate the engine block and two hoses. Now the fit is perfect. The goal now is to:

1. Finish the engine and wheel well for good.
2. Complete anything with RLM 02 as a base (gun bay, tail wheel, landing gears, etc.)
3. Many other things  :mental:

I will post more pictures soon, but here is one of the overall paint! I'm re-doing the entire tail. I'm pretty satisfied with everything else!

IMG_3294.jpg

[/url]

IMG_8046.jpg

Martin! Thanks so so much. I was JUST about to buy a 1/32 Fw 190A-8. Perfect timing.

Edited by thunderbolt1988

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

I can't believe my last post was over two years ago, but my new years resolution is to finish this fight in 2016. I have not been able to devote much time at all to this project because I was finishing up medical school. I have a research job now but this is a break in the action by comparison... 

I'll be candid - I'm not totally satisfied with the scheme so far. I need help figuring out how to paint this bird correctly. 

I have been doing some research online and pondering things further. I'll be posting my thoughts soon. 

I realized that the port side 1 and 2 were spaced far too wide on my model - so I sanded the 1 completely off, re-masked and re-painted. 

I did not like the metal cowl flaps, so I ripped those off and replaced them with careful trimmed (to scale thickness) kit cowl flaps. 

Here's a discussion thread I found that is giving me pause: 

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1443876843/last-1443893865/(View+All+Messages+In+This+Thread)

If anyone feels they know a thing or two about how to paint this a/c, then please follow this build and comment criticize at any time. 

Minimal assembly tasks remain - I just need to figure out where I want to go with this paint scheme. 

Most of my pause lies in the wings - I'm not sure if they were W3 schemed 81 or 75. Jerry Crandall in the link above sounds like he would argue for 75. So does Tullis. However, the "classic" image of this plane viewed from 2 o'clock shows a starboard gear door which I consider to be the same color as the Mg131 gun cowling (a "greenish, RLM 83 dunkelgrun-ish" RLM 81 hue) that has been covered by three things: 1) the shadow of the wing itself, 2) the attachment bolt blue and primer and 3) copious mud covering the bottom third of the gear door. 

After the wings, I'm still trying to figure out the fuselage scheme. Again, in the classic picture, the fuselage 81 aft of the wing looks really light brown, tan almost... while the paint front of the cockpit looks like 81, but more like 83. 

I'm going to try to come up with a list of questions that I'm hoping to bounce off Jerry Crandall. 

Below are all the good photographs of this a/c that I know of. Citations where possible. The last shot is a clip from a youtube video of the plane being towed (color film). 

I cite these photos alphanumerically at the bottom of this webpage in what I'm hoping is a well-reasoned analysis. Any and all feedback/criticism is appreciated. My intention here is to make this analysis somewhat of a collaborative and consensus-based effort that I will eventually depict on my model. 

Japo1.png

Japo2.jpg

Japo3.png

Japo4.png

Japo5.png

Japo6-1.jpg

Japo7.png

Japo8.png

Japo9.png

Japo10.png

Hi guys,

A couple of points; first the landing gear doors have a base coat of RLM 75 then a random overspray of a dark green. This is commonly found on recovered Dora 9s. There was no  E9 stencil on the engine cowlings. Years ago this was guesswork. The mystery was solved when we found a D-9 cowling in Germany that had the original glycol data information painted applied. It was not a stencil but hand brushed, typical of a lot of stenciling on Dora 9s.

Cheers, Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

Jerry, 

Thanks for your reply to this topic. I still need to finish writing and I invite you to take a look at photo 6 above. I disagree with you that the gear doors on this particular a/c were RLM 75 with green patch-painting. The gear door in photo 6 appears to be a dark-hue 81 that is extensively mud splattered and covered in primer, which could give the impression that the door was not RLM 81. There is one clean, representative area (arrow above) that I believe shows the true hue. 

I hope you will agree that to say that the vast majorities of D-9s had RLM 75 doors with green patch painting based on a select few recovered examples would be inconsistent with the sheer variety of camouflage schemes we repeatedly say are the consequence of an increasingly disorganized german war effort. 

This is a minor point of contention and I want to personally thank you for your dedication to this subject and all the wonderful AM resin you've put out that have helped elevate my build to a level of accuracy otherwise impossible without it. I wish I had your books; I think this project could benefit from them. 

Best, 

Christian 

PS. The photo of the gear door in http://www.network54...In This Thread) does not appear to be that of an Fw 190.