Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 "Blue 12" WNr. 500570

Thunderbolt

Here is where she stands now, January 22, 2012:

photo.jpg

Kev - Thanks! I threw it together in a little under a week. I actually meant to order the new-tool 190 but ordered this instead by accident. When I opened the box I was a little horrified to discover my mistake, but I just said, "eh, Dortenmann's "Black 1" it is." You're definitely up to some gory work on that D-11...I am really admiring your panel line scribing ability :) It's a big weakness of mine.

Matt - I'll get them. I agree they'll make a great basis. My experience with figures is very limited, but I'll try to heat the joints gently to bend them into more desirable poses. We'll see how it goes. Thanks a lot for telling me about them, as I probably would have just went with 1/35 figures.

Hi

If you want to see my model to compare with your future colour interpretation of this interesting aircraft, here is a link:

My link

Nice model sir. Subtle riveting and well painted. What references did you use to paint your Dora? I have not purchased the JaPo book yet as it's very expensive.

Wonder if anyone would loan me their copy or scan a few pages showing 500570's color interpretations?

Thanks

C

Edited by thunderbolt1988

Here is one profile for you. What you can say for sure based on the colour pic I posted, the fuselage is RLM 81 and 83 with a 76 rudder. Undersurfaces, duck egg type green for the forward and rear fuselage, RLM 75 for the forward wing and gear doors with unpainted rear lower wing. Upper wings is anyones guess, Model Aircraft Monthly suggested RLM 76 and 81.

2_65.jpg

Here is one profile for you. What you can say for sure based on the colour pic I posted, the fuselage is RLM 81 and 83 with a 76 rudder. Undersurfaces, duck egg type green for the forward and rear fuselage, RLM 75 for the forward wing and gear doors with unpainted rear lower wing. Upper wings is anyones guess, Model Aircraft Monthly suggested RLM 76 and 81.

2_65.jpg

Thanks for this profile Brad. Mounting evidence seems to suggest the bar and the 12 were both painted blue. Hmm...

76 for an upper surface sounds ridiculous...

col_4.jpg

The very light shade of blue in the profile seems blatantly inconsistent with this color photo of the a/c as well...

The Eagle Cals booklet has the same picture, but the color contrasts are definitely different. In this photo, the paint on the gun cowl looks like 81. In the Eagle Cals rendition of the photo, it looks like 82 (Dark Green.) Even in the brighter EC version, the blue still appears a true 24. Therefore, I'm hesitant to follow this profile's suggestion to use such a bright blue.

What do you think? I'm mentioning this for the sake of discussion.

Remember also that printing the picture will slightly change the shades, even viewing pictures of different monitors can change the appearance of the colours. The people who write these books and illustrate the profiles guess about the shades and colours. There are some good educated ones, then there are those which you need to take a stab in the dark at. Go with the colours you think, that way you won't be unhappy with your model. However, since you asked;

The blue on the 12 does look a touch light. Perhaps something inbetween that and black, as you can make out in the side on shot in black and white, the tone of the 12 is lighter than that of the national insignia which we can fairly safely assume is black. As for upper surface colours late in the war, blues and greys were used (RLM 76 light blue and 77 light grey) as demonstrated in the pic below;

post1187165606au3.jpg

Remember also that printing the picture will slightly change the shades, even viewing pictures of different monitors can change the appearance of the colours. The people who write these books and illustrate the profiles guess about the shades and colours. There are some good educated ones, then there are those which you need to take a stab in the dark at. Go with the colours you think, that way you won't be unhappy with your model. However, since you asked;

The blue on the 12 does look a touch light. Perhaps something inbetween that and black, as you can make out in the side on shot in black and white, the tone of the 12 is lighter than that of the national insignia which we can fairly safely assume is black. As for upper surface colours late in the war, blues and greys were used (RLM 76 light blue and 77 light grey) as demonstrated in the pic below;

You make interesting points. I'll keep these in mind as I research the subject further.

C

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Fixed quoting issues

I own book from JaPo and there is printed original colored picture same as Eagle is using for their color interpretation. The think is that Eagle add more red or brown to picture. And my professional photograph friend is convinced that the Eagleone is edited. On the original one, the color on gun cowl rather look as RLM83 than RLM81. There is also possible to see colors of different patches. I’m proud owner of this book! I have prepared whole topic to comment both opinions from JaPo and Eagle but there is a lot of pictures I can’t publish. If you saw my model, than think about border between RLM81 on tail and RLM83 on gun cowl. Because I’m still not convinced, where it should be. What I have messed also is the usage of RLM65 instead of RLM76 what I was short of.

Why can't you publish the pictures? We'd all like to see.

Copyrighting I'm sure. I was going to scan the pictures in the EagleCals booklet, but decided against it as the images are copyrighted! As I'm new to this forum, I'm wondering if people post copyrighted images on the regular or if that's taboo? I suspect the latter to be the case.

GumidekCZ - I disagree that the EC version looks brown. In my EC decal booklet, everything looks greened up. The pic posted in this thread is the brown version. In the "greened up" version, I believe I see 81 painted with patches of 82 (Dark Green) painted over it right over the fuselage extension plug and the fuselage spine. The fuselage from the black cross to the nose was probably painted 82 originally, then "greened up" later on with 83 on the nose. Hence, 81, 82 and 83 were all present on the fuselage of this aircraft, along with "84," 76, and 75. I'm not sure what color was hand painted on the port side of the tailplane. (That small patch right behind the extension plug.) Some say rlm 66? Honestly, could be 82, or even 70...

In the color photo I can clearly see 75 painted along the leading edge of the tail. I have not seen many models with this feature included though.

All in all, Im glad I just bought the JaPo book (Part II.) I will share as much as I can here within the fair boundaries of copyright restrictions.