1/32 Tamiya P-51D

Cpig

Good show. Nice detail work on that ammo. Don't mean to sound pedantic, but will you be putting in tracer rounds?

Sincerely,

Mark

That's a great idea Mark. Do you know what the standard loadout was for WWII aircraft? I know we used to run APIT (Armor Piercing Incendiary Tracer) a lot on our .50s for ground operations, but not sure what they would've used in WWII aircraft.

Joe

From Squadron P-51D Walk Around, Pg. 26, photo caption: 'Examination of the rounds in the belts show that every fifth and sixth round were tracer ammunition.' Photo is b & w, tracer round tip color is not specified.

Aero Detail 13, NA P-51D Mustang, photo 183, pg. 30 caption states every 5th round as a red tipped tracer round. But I don't know how historically accurate that is.

Loadout: Ammo bay for inner gun held 400 rounds. Ammo bay for outer pair held 270 rounds per gun.

Sincerely,

Mark

From Squadron P-51D Walk Around, Pg. 26, photo caption: 'Examination of the rounds in the belts show that every fifth and sixth round were tracer ammunition.' Photo is b & w, tracer round tip color is not specified.

Aero Detail 13, NA P-51D Mustang, photo 183, pg. 30 caption states every 5th round as a red tipped tracer round. But I don't know how historically accurate that is.

Loadout: Ammo bay for inner gun held 400 rounds. Ammo bay for outer pair held 270 rounds per gun.

Sincerely,

Mark

Smithery, I appreciate the compliment.

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I'd guess the the 5th round was tracer and 6th round was incendiary or API? .50 cal tracer tip should be red and incendiary blue. In the second example that you gave, I'd say that it is pretty historically correct as 4 and 1 link is standard on most tracer-linked MG belts (4 ball and 1 tracer).

Getting ready for paint.

I can't say enough how well this kit goes together, I believe you could build most of the kit without glue and it would probably hold together. The only gap I filled was a hairline gap on the wing leading edge that couldn't even be seen with the naked eye.

Sanded and polished the mold line in the canopy then dipped in future.

6858474543_a1e6d18867_b.jpg

6858475167_3c04f95b1c_b.jpg

6858475797_b8b753a8d8_b.jpg

6858477139_0c57b9a3d2_b.jpg

Very nice progress... is it going to be in NM? :popcorn:

Thanks Kage, and no, this one is going to be the green and grey Old Crow that Anderson flew during the late summer and fall of '44. I do love the NMF but my last Mustang was NMF (Cripes A'Mighty 3rd) and I wanted to mix it up a little. Plus, I see a lot of Old Crows done in NMF but not too many in the green finish.

Joe

Guest Peterpools

Joe

Awesome progress on Old Crow. Thanks for the heads up on the canopy seam, as I normally miss them, with the finish line so close.

Peter

Thanks Peter, and you're right - the finish is near.

Got the pre-shade, then base, then highlight shades done. I'm using Vallejo USA grey on the underside and Tamiya RAF Green on the topside.

Pre-shade then base laid down top and bottom.

6864366271_c3519fe378_b.jpg

6864367037_17d0331116_b.jpg

Lightened RAF Green slightly with a drop of white then added a little highlighting.

6864370641_b82730590e_b.jpg

6864371349_0dd40241ec_b.jpg

6864372003_ae81b45006_b.jpg

Same with undersurface, added couple drops of white to my USA Grey then added highlights.

6864368937_3144a8af5a_b.jpg