Tamiya's F-16 built as a block 25

Daywalker

I began this project in November of 2009, and finally finished today! I had originally intended to build this one as a bird from ODS in 1991, but a problem with the Elite Decals (my own fault) forced me to reconsider. The first paint job was the three-tone scheme of 36375/36270/36118 as worn during that time. As I had modified the model to a Block 25 aircraft, I was a bit limited on available schemes for this block. I found some on the Two Bobs sheet "Golden State Griffins" and I was back in business! I had to strip the model back to bare plastic, as the aircraft I was now modelling was repainted in the 36270/36118 modern two tone scheme. I used MM enamels the second time, and it did not go well for me. I stripped the model again, and started over with Tamiya acrylics again. After months of paint stripping, smoothing, and repainting, she is finally finished!

Mostly OOB, I added a few small details to the pilot and wiring for the landing gear. The most difficult part of the build was getting a seamless intake and learning to maneuver a 1/32 scale jet on my small workbench! After all of the work, I am very happy with how she turned out.

Here's a link to the in progress build if you would like to see how it all went together. Thanks for looking in!

001-27.jpg

003-17.jpg

005-7.jpg

006-2.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg010.jpg

That turned out wonderfully well. Is the blue called a collecter ring? Love that. Also love the high contrast between the glossy canopy and matte aircraft. Preshading, tailpipe . . . Great. Just great.

Sincerely,

Mark

OH, didn't see these pics! Never mind, Still tkink its awesome.....harv :speak_cool:

Thanks Harv for the comments, and I also appreciate your following along and encouragement during a very difficult build. Without that, it would have been much more difficult to stay focused!

Woah! Looking excellent!

I'm just in preparation of painting my F-16 and I'm curious what Tamiya paints you exactly used on your build as the paintsheme looks spot on :)

Thanks!

Thank you very much, the Tamiya colors I used are XF-19 for the lighter grey, XF-24 for the dark grey, and XF-53 for the radome. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing yours!

That turned out wonderfully well. Is the blue called a collecter ring? Love that. Also love the high contrast between the glossy canopy and matte aircraft. Preshading, tailpipe . . . Great. Just great.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark, much appreciated! You are correct, it is the collector ring. After painting it with Alclad, I masked off successive rings and gave them varying shades of clear blue to replicate the heat effects. I was very happy with how they turned out!

Good job !

Thanks mate!

It looks beautiful, and the intake is flawless!

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you Tom, that intake took a long time to make it seamless! I considered a cover for it, but really wanted that open as I intended to model it ready for takeoff with a pilot.

Hi Frank,

That is one sharp Viper. :goodjob:

Flawless looking finish with some very delicate and subtle weathering. Just the ticket. :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time to share the piccies.

Cheers,

Guy

Thank you Guy, I appreciate the feedback! Considering this was a typical ANG jet, I kept the weathering to a minimum as most of the Vipers I have seen in the ANG are pretty clean. The next one may be a bit more dirty!

:party0023: :party0023: :party0023:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

No words needed..

MARU 5137

Thank Maru, high praise indeed!

Very Nice!!!!

Thank you Rob, much appreciated!

You've been pretty quiet lately, gald to see you were putting the time to good use. Outstanding build my friend, just awesome work! :bow:

Thanks for the feedback Mike, glad you liked this one! She has kept me busy for the better part of 2 1/2 years. :blink: And to think, I have another one on the bench as we speak LOL.

Great job, Frank. You can't go wrong with Guard Vipers!

Jake

Thanks Jake! I had a lot of help from this too... ;)

RAP02%20800X600.jpg

AWESOME!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Congratulations on a stellar build Frank! Love the painting, finish is amazing! LOVE IT!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you Darren, much appreciated old friend! :D

Great job, Frank. You can't go wrong with Guard Vipers!

Jake

Jake, your Modern Phantom guide is (and will continue to be) something of a biblical reference to me during my Phantom master pattern building phases, as they are so good - so I must now start collecting your Viper equivalents :) (I have the original 1/32 Hasegawa FSD F-16A kit, so I am looking for something to do with it...I do have one crazy idea, but I need to play around with some plans to see what is possible?).

Cheers

Derek