3M Red/Green acryl filler

Title says it all really.

I'm wondering how good it is for our use. People used to mention the Blue Acryl but I don't see it in the UK, however Red and Green are available (maybe a white as well?). All that appears to differ is the speed of drying.

Final question - how well does this stuff keep in the tube? It is good value, but if it dries up quickly it may prove cheaper to buy a smaller tube of Squadron Green Stuff...?

TIA, Matt

Yep, drying time is the difference. The green is the fastest, tne red is intermediate, and the blue was the slowest (intended as a glazing putty which could be spread over large areas without drying too fast). Apparently the red and green are still available but the blue is now discontinued, so unless you find some old stock, you're probably out of luck on that. However, the white "Marine Acryl" is supposed to be the same formulation as the blue except for coloration, and would probably be even better for modeling than the blue considering paint coverage.

I have a gargantuan tube of the blue (the only size in which it was available as far as I know), and it seems to have very good shelf life in the tube. I've heard people say that you have to watch out for it caking on the threads of the cap, though, as this can cause the cap to let air past and spoil the tube more quickly.

As far as working characteristics, the blue skins over pretty fast but needs overnight drying to be truly dry enough to sand, even in relatively thin applications. If you try to rush drying time and sand it too soon, it's kinda "gummy" and you'll get at best a porous finish. It does sand out very smooth and feather beautifully once completely dry, though.

In my opinion, though, it's still vastly inferior to good ol' Tamiya basic gray putty for modeling purposes.

HTH;

Automaton

Edited by automaton

I like the Tamiya grey putty alot. It has a metallic sheen to it, dries really well, is easy to sand and can be sanded razer thin. I couldn't find it in the States when I needed replenishment and had to resort to buying it from Japan, tho this was a ways back, sometime early 2011.

Sincerely,

Mark

I like the Tamiya grey putty alot. It has a metallic sheen to it, dries really well, is easy to sand and can be sanded razer thin. I couldn't find it in the States when I needed replenishment and had to resort to buying it from Japan, tho this was a ways back, sometime early 2011.

Sincerely,

Mark

I agree, and will add that unlike the Acryl, the Tamiya (if applied thinly) can often be sanded same day.

I had the same availability problem some time back. I ended up getting mine from an ebay seller in Hong Kong. I got a four-tube bulk deal he was offering, and speaking of shelf life the Tamiya stuff also seems to have a good shelf life, especially when still sealed.

Regards;

Automaton