Micromesh

JamesHatch

Hi guys,

I see so many products described as 'micromesh' and most of them look different. What is the BEST 'micromesh' product for modellers? I'm looking at something perhaps from buffing canopies, to finishing Alclad primer before applying metal finishes.

Some of these sets I see have a polishing fluid, whereas the last set I got (which I was only mildly happy with) had none.

Cheers.

Micromesh is a trade name, so is unique. There are similar products, but, if they don't say Micromesh, they ain't Micromesh.

Here in the U.K. it's possible to buy a set, on airfields, which is designed for full-size aircraft canopies, and includes a polishing liquid, but usually stops at 8000 grit (or even coarser.) There are several model shops which sell a "modeller's pack," which doesn't usually include the liquid, but does go down to 12000 grit, which is fine enough to polish clear parts.

Hannant's (shop & Lowestoft) do them, as does Little-Cars, and The Aviation Hobby Shop. I've always found the 12000 grit to be essential, since it has allowed me to polish etched fingerprints out of perspex, and take aluminium to a "chrome" finish (good enough to get past our inspectors where I used to work.

It's a personal thing, but, although the instructions say "wet or dry," I always prefer to use it wet, and be sure to follow their "each successive grade at 90 degrees to the previous" advise.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar Brooks

Hi guys,

I see so many products described as 'micromesh' and most of them look different. What is the BEST 'micromesh' product for modellers? I'm looking at something perhaps from buffing canopies, to finishing Alclad primer before applying metal finishes.

Some of these sets I see have a polishing fluid, whereas the last set I got (which I was only mildly happy with) had none.

Cheers.

My personal favorites are micromesh sanding cloths. They don't "crease up" the way regular sandpaper does, and they're my go-to for smoothing out primer/paint. Also used them (in conjunction with a Squadron tri-grit stick and Novus plastic polish) to sand down and buff out the centerline seam in the canopy of Tamiya's Spit VIII.

http://www.alphaabrasives.com/alpha/micro-cloth-finishing-products.php

James

Like many of our modelling products, this stuff originates from other users and if you look in the right place you can find it (often) significantly cheaper than if bought packaged for the modeller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodturning-MICRO-MESH-Foot-Lengths-Regular-Grades-/290656392176?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item43ac7893f0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICRO-MESH-MICROMESH-POLISHING-KIT-9-SHEETS-6-X-4-/170761537993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27c22e49c9

My advice would be to try and track down a decent car repair repainting company as they buy and use this stuff by the roll and if they will sell you can get it very cheaply.

Matt

I've got two sets of Micromesh sanding pads, but I've been led to believe that their sanding cloths are the most suitable for modelling. I don't have a set to verify that unfortunately. Of the two sets I have, the smaller set with the rounded corners seems much more applicable to modelling. The large set I suspect is intended for wood finishing and polishing (instruments, fine furniture, etc). I have to say though that I rarely use either set, except for the odd canopy polishing exercise.

Kev

I have one of these -

MS-Hobby.jpg

Here is the link to it from the manufacturers of Mirco Mesh...

http://micro-surface.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=75

Its a nice little kit... I have used it a few times... But I found a my wife 7 sided Nail polisher works better! And you can get 8-10 of them for the price of the kit from Mirco Mesh

Edited by moeggo

Sorry for the delay in replying guys. I got caught on 'zombie duties' on Xbox.

I do have the narrow cloth strips from 4000 to 12000 grit, and a rubber block, but the cloths aren't very good at getting into small creases etc.

Your links and recommendations are really useful. I'll check through these and place an order. @Thomas....do you want me to order for you also?

Thanks guys! :speak_cool:

I do have the narrow cloth strips from 4000 to 12000 grit, and a rubber block, but the cloths aren't very good at getting into small creases etc.

To solve that particular problem, I ordered (and have just received) a set of the Flory Models narrow sanding sticks. They're double-sided and roughly 5mm across. There are 12 in each pack, and they come in Coarse (which our ever-eloquent Phil Flory spells as 'Course' - obviously!), Medium and Fine grades. There's also a set of of polishing sponges, which are the same width, but much thicker (and only 10 in the pack).

I figure these should sort me out for all those hard-to-reach areas, and it was only £15 for all 4 packs.

Kev

On my return to the dark art I bought a set of the Micromesh pads with the cream.

Ok for canopies but I got fed up going through each pad one at a time getting finer and finer until the canopy was polished.

They are now in the bin.

A simple and much quicker method for canopies is the Mastercasters Miracle polishing set here: http://www.mastercasters.co.uk/resources/MSTPOLPK_645.jpg

Use an ordinary fine sanding stick to remove the mark then 5 minutes with these and its done.

For sanding alclad primer I use the finer(white) sponge sander here: http://www.mastercasters.co.uk/resources/MSTSPOPK_645.jpg

Brings it up to a gloss finish as it will on final paint coats too.

I also NEVER buy branded modelling sanding sticks.

I use multi grit nail polishing sticks that the ladies do their nails with, far better and much much cheaper than the "modllers" sticks.

For me the days of going through eight or nine pads one at a time are over!

Phil

Edited by PhilB

So when are we going to battle it out on MW3??? My Trigger finger is getting itchy... :ninja:

......I think this weekend. If I see you signed in, I'll send a message over. Promise not to laugh TOO hard!

Also, I found that Hobby Kit too, at Sylmasta, so I think I'll order that.

Edited by James H