Derek B

F-4G Wild Weasel conversion

Ok!

Problem is solved. Thanks for additional info. I saw "Iron Hand" on abebooks but had got no correct info regarding the contents. I know I may put it on my "to order list".

My assessment of "USAF Phantoms" was a frank one. I'm so sad when I see missed opportunities such as the recent three volumes published by SAM publications. Some chapters have interesting pictures and give here and there interesting comments but the books are very far from the "one stop shopping" the collection has been (as were some old ones dedicated to WW2 airplanes).

A book about the plane genealogy has yet to be printed: one that details the different production blocks and the variants linked to them. In my eyes, besides some dark aspects mainly linked to specific AF sub-versions used in SE Asia, this IS the missing link!

One good aspect of LSP is the fact that people do not use to walk on the toes of the others. Derek and me communicate for a while and I'll never work on something or help somebody else to release something if I know he's currently working on it. Same thing with other old members.

BR

Thierry

Thanks Thierry.

I feel that we are a pretty well knit together band of brothers - the trust is mutual.

Derek

Thanks Thierry.

I feel that we are a pretty well knit together band of brothers - the trust is mutual.

Derek

Thierry,

If Derek's happy with this send me a PM and I'll pass you the drawing of the rear IP - for your use ONLY.

Cheers

tony t

Thierry,

If Derek's happy with this send me a PM and I'll pass you the drawing of the rear IP - for your use ONLY.

Cheers

tony t

It's OK with me Tony.

Derek

I'm still waiting on more news of that Bf108 kit Derek... :)

Hi Doug - it hasn't been forgotten - it is just taking it's place in the line amongst the other Luftwaffe stuff that I shall be working on over the next couple of years or so ;).

Derek

G'day guys

Just a small point but you may want to think twice about he Revell F-4F as a basis of the conversion. And that is availability.

The Revell kit is rare as hens teeth in comparison to the Tamiya F4 Series. There is more work in the Tamiya kit with slats being required etc but I would far rather tart with the far superior Tamiya kit as a base that is far easier to find than try to track down a poor quality start point.

If someone knows where to find a good supply of Revell F-4Fs please let me know as I havn't seen one in years.

G'day guys

Just a small point but you may want to think twice about he Revell F-4F as a basis of the conversion. And that is availability.

The Revell kit is rare as hens teeth in comparison to the Tamiya F4 Series. There is more work in the Tamiya kit with slats being required etc but I would far rather tart with the far superior Tamiya kit as a base that is far easier to find than try to track down a poor quality start point.

If someone knows where to find a good supply of Revell F-4Fs please let me know as I havn't seen one in years.

This is the difference between CONUS and the rest of the world! The F-4F has nearly been always available in Revell Germany catalogue! Moreover, currently, the Revell F-4E is available in Korea and may be found on ebay (5000 have been produced). I know most people do not realize it but Europe market for large scale planes kits is at least as large as the US one. If you want to be convinced, just ask Paul Fisher where most of his kits have been sold for years! So this makes some sense.

The differences between both kits have been discussed in detail. If you made a fair comparison between both kits including the price/quality ratio, there is no obvious "winner". Look at the tweak lists I made with Ben Brown some years ago. You'll easily see that the Tamiya kit, even if better, is far from perfect and to get a late type, you've to add the resin slats to an already expensive kit, add correctly sized exhausts, find a High-G tank and don't forget that they simply copied the D instruments to make the E, so you're still with a very early E pit....

I compared the price of the Revell kit with many resin kits I own to update it: seats, photoetched parts, nose, landing gear, belly doors, FODs and air intakes (the old CE intended to the Tamiya kit) and guess what? Global price is similar or even a little bit lower! The sole problem I cannot solve currently is the canopy. However, I'm not fully sure everybody will be willing to update so many parts... So you may get a kit looking like a F-4E/G for a cheaper price. We don't have such an option with the Tamiya-based combo. Ideally both options shall be available and in a dreamland, Tamiya and Revell should have released such versions in plastic!

G'day guys

Hi Darren,

Although I will make a F-4G specfic conversion set for the Revell F-4F kit, as the way these things tend to go, I will most likely end up making a second set specifically for the Tamiya kit at some point in time as well! (most likely when I can get my hands on a Tamiya F-4E kit).

Derek

Hi guys

It's interesting on he availability of big Revell kits as down here once they re gone thy are very rarely seen in re-stocks.

I'm sure you will get a good conversion either way but personally I'd take a Tamiya kit anyday over Revell.

An F-4G will be a welcome addition based off either kit however!!