F-4G Wild Weasel conversion

Derek B

Well, I am almost 100% sure that I will cover the F-4C Weasel conversion for two reasons. The first is that I never new about this variant until Tony brought it up (which very much surprises me). The second is that it sounds like a really funky little ('Little' being a relative term here when we are talking Phantoms of course :D) aircraft in all those jazzy colour schemes (even though I have not yet seen a single photograph of one!).

Derek

Go on Derek :speak_cool: F-4C Weasel conversion will be very welcome for my long waited Superscale decals 32030 Rub A Dub EF-4C

Here are some links I have saved for EF-4C one is earlier posted by thierry walkaround and the second one is from ARC discusion

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle4/f-4c_ww_64-0791/index.php?Page=1

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=86289&hl=

Several pictures of F-4C Weasels are also in Modellers Datafile No.12 The F-4 Phantom II- Part 1: USAF Variants by SAM Publications on pages no 14 and 15.

Another ARC link on F-4C Weasel

http://s362974870.on...howtopic=141862

Very useful link Pavel (as were the others also) - this one will help me so much, thank you. I definately need to buy those SAM Datafiles. If I could now find a good EF-4C aircraft underside drawing plan, I think that (externally) I'd be nearly there (still need a kit to work on), so this is looking good :D

Cheers

Derek

I'd be interested Harold? I was going to do this one a while ago in both deep and shallow pod variants for the F-16 Viper, but Sierra Hotel Models (I think?) had already covered one of them, and Flight Path the other. However, I'm still up for it if the need is there?

Cheers

Derek

Oh...yes...

I'm in for at least three shallow pods if you make them for my F-16 fleet!

Hi Frank/Harv,

Sounds like Harold (of AMS Resins) is going to have a crack at these pods now, although I do not know which versions he shall eventually concentrate on? (maybe he'll give us all a clue once he has had time to review his data?)

Cheers

Derek

Hi Thierry,

I don't want to knock the wind out of Derek's sails, as I dearly want to see this set made!

The diagram was published in the third edition of The Phantom Story back in the 1990s - the one with the black spine and banking 56 Sqn FGR.2 on the cover, and the photo appeared in Larry Davis' Wild Weasel squadron signal book, from the 1980s. You may have those in your library, or know somebody who has.

tony t

Hi Tony,

I indeed found the picture in Larry Davis book. So this already solves a large part of the issue. Thanks again. The stupid part of this is that this book is in my library for more than twenty years and I never noticed this picture!!! BTW, I also checked in my issue of your book (edited in 1997) but never found the wild weasel diagram view. I also looked in "USAF Phantoms" and "Wild Weasels: Elite Radar-Killers of the Usaf" you wrote a long time ago but no avail. Could you please confirm in which specific edition of the "Phantom story" this view is?

I didn't look at "USAF Phantoms" for a while but I'm still amazed to see that this is still the most comprehensive source of technical info regarding all the programs discussed in such threads. Highly recommended for any "rhinoholic" and the book is quite cheap on abebooks or amazon (around 3£!).

Hi Tony,

I indeed found the picture in Larry Davis book. So this already solves a large part of the issue. Thanks again. The stupid part of this is that this book is in my library for more than twenty years and I never noticed this picture!!! BTW, I also checked in my issue of your book (edited in 1997) but never found the wild weasel diagram view. I also looked in "USAF Phantoms" and "Wild Weasels: Elite Radar-Killers of the Usaf" you wrote a long time ago but no avail. Could you please confirm in which specific edition of the "Phantom story" this view is?

I didn't look at "USAF Phantoms" for a while but I'm still amazed to see that this is still the most comprehensive source of technical info regarding all the programs discussed in such threads. Highly recommended for any "rhinoholic" and the book is quite cheap on abebooks or amazon (around 3£!).

Hi Thierry,

The extra appendix on the F-4C Weasels + rear IP fig is in the 2000 edition softback (third print run) with the black spine.

Thanks for your kind words about the c.1987 F-4 book. It had its day and has been superseded by newer info.

Iron Hand (2002) has some of the best techie stuff, but was such a shoehorn for the publisher that they omitted half of the illustrations submitted, hence that IP diagram making only one limited appearance.

There were at least two variations on the F-4C rear IP. Derek's got a copy now and will likely use it in his conversion set instructions. Dunno. You'll have to ask him, as I don't want to pull the rug out from under him, especially now that his planned Pave Spike etc has been beaten to the finish line by Isradecals.

Cheers

tony t

Ok!

Problem is solved. Thanks for additional info. I saw "Iron Hand" on abebooks but had got no correct info regarding the contents. I know I may put it on my "to order list".

My assessment of "USAF Phantoms" was a frank one. I'm so sad when I see missed opportunities such as the recent three volumes published by SAM publications. Some chapters have interesting pictures and give here and there interesting comments but the books are very far from the "one stop shopping" the collection has been (as were some old ones dedicated to WW2 airplanes).

A book about the plane genealogy has yet to be printed: one that details the different production blocks and the variants linked to them. In my eyes, besides some dark aspects mainly linked to specific AF sub-versions used in SE Asia, this IS the missing link!

One good aspect of LSP is the fact that people do not use to walk on the toes of the others. Derek and me communicate for a while and I'll never work on something or help somebody else to release something if I know he's currently working on it. Same thing with other old members.

BR

Thierry