1/32 British Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 conversion for the Tamiya F-4J?

Derek B

F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Conversion?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase such a conversion set if it were to be produced?

• Would you by one/do you think its a good idea?
    • Do you think its not a good idea/ wouldn't buy one?
    • Not relevant to you?

Back to Brit Phantoms - been meaning to have a go at one for years (Ark Royal FG Mk 1 is a *must*) but put it on hold due to rumours from the far east - even have a 'J' fuselage sat there waiting to be cut up.

Prolly wouldn't buy a full conversion - but would certainly be interested in a pair of Spey exhaust cans as that's probably the hardest part to get right - rest is just plastic sheet/filler...

Iain

Thanks Lain - we'll see how things go then!;)

Derek

Hi Derek, Great news on the Spey Phantom.

Usually I only build with a NZ theme, but the FGR Phantom is one I have always wanted to build as an exception.

I cant help with refs sorry

Cheers

Anthony

Pleased to hear it Anthony :) (those Spey engined aircraft certainly do have that powerful 'presence' about them!).

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I'd really love a British Phantom or two... but it would come down to accuracy and price, decals would be a problem, though the Wild Hare sheet is still available it is mighty expensive, and some of the choices are extremely poor - who wants an all blue Phantom..? :mental:

I'd prioritise a basic G conversion, as Carl said no need replicating the Isracast parts, and a quick Google :whistle: revealed that Hannants, Misterkit, and Victory Models all have Airdoc sheets with G markings

I'd really love a British Phantom or two... but it would come down to accuracy and price, decals would be a problem, though the Wild Hare sheet is still available it is mighty expensive, and some of the choices are extremely poor - who wants an all blue Phantom..? :mental:

I'd prioritise a basic G conversion, as Carl said no need replicating the Isracast parts, and a quick Google :whistle: revealed that Hannants, Misterkit, and Victory Models all have Airdoc sheets with G markings

Thanks Andy...always nice to have a steady hand on the tiller!:)

Derek

Oh...if its of any use. I've noticed that the C/D and the J model of the Tamiya phantom kits are routinely cheaper than the E model. The E seems to be the always slightly more spendy version. If total costs were an issue this may be a potential factor.

Oh...for the poll I was musing over whether three categories might avoid a skew in your data. Guys who have no interest in jets might vote in category 2 but more accurately might fall into category 3? Meh...just thinking out loud.

2. Would you by one/do you think its a good idea?
  3. Do you think its not a good idea/ wouldn't buy one?
  4. Not relevant to you?

Matty

Oh...for the poll I was musing over whether three categories might avoid a skew in your data. Guys who have no interest in jets might vote in category 2 but more accurately might fall into category 3?

I think that's a great idea, as I definitely fall into that category, but felt a bit weird about choosing the 'no' option (even though it was accurate), as it implies that I'm interested but wouldn't buy it. If you deal with that simply by not voting if you're not interested, then there's no point having a 'no' option at all. At least the 3rd option makes things clear.

Kev

I have just completed a FG1 build from the Tamiya J kit. it was all done from scratch except the engines which came from the WH conversion set. From my experience ( project took close to a year!)to keep the cost down, all you would need to supply would be the following: The wider seamless intakes, engines and maybe a large rear plug for the rear underside and a longer nose wheel for the FG1 version. Anyone who is looking to carry out this type of conversion will be experienced in this type of project I would expect. The modeller would need to do alot of cut, tuck, bend, sand etc. Play around with the cockpit. but it would keep the cost down. My build on the Phantom group build page give you an idea what I mean about the rear plug. This is just one way of approaching it, I’m not saying it’s the best.

FG1 Build

For what it is worth, Dave Klaus told me at the time that when he was in the RAF museum preparing for the Wild Hare kit that he measured the diameter of the FGR nozzles and that was reflected in the kit. And, also for what it is worth, those were the dimensions I used for the conversion article---

FrankMitchell

Derek if you want to do a Phantom then do the entire line starting at the B and go to the M. As much as (most) everybody likes the Tamiya Phantoms they refuse to go any further. I for one would love to have a B model for about five different squadrons sitting in my cases. Some of the Brit schemes were colorful too so at least two would be bought by me. Yes the fill-ins would be N, S, early/late Es and on into Air Guard birds. Lots of schemes to be done. Want to make some money then give the big scale jet community a modern tooled Phantom. Don't get me wrong the Tamiya kit is good but it needs a lot of work that Tamiya should have done.

Between Barry and Dr. Frank Mitchell you have a great start for how to tool a better Phantom along with others who have shed blood on that kit. My biggest beef with the kit is the landing gear. Nowadays there are some great aftermarket parts out there and that experience can be used to make new parts. And after receiving the Eduard cans for my Navy J recently I had to clean the floor because of the drooling problem.

Skip the conversion and go for new kits. We have new Mustangs and Spits so now a new big Phantom would be fun and a whole line would cause quite a stir.

[Skip the conversion and go for new kits.

We have new Mustangs and Spits so now a new big Phantom would be fun and a whole line would cause quite a stir.

I totally agree!

The Revell company alone have continually missed a huge opportunity by not converting their existing tooling for the other F4 Phantom models.

Why,......nobody knows?

The same goes for the Tornado, surely it makes sense to get more bang per buck per tooling?

Now, for some of us, a nice conversion set for these models would be very nice, but would they attract enough modelers to make it worthwhile?

Polls don't always give you the sales, intent doesn't always convert to required volumes.

Any manufacturer takes a huge gamble these days, the hobbyist is so fickle that any lack of support for a project could plunge them into real trouble.

The argument has always been 'well get it right first time then', however, who's to say what is 'right' and what is 'wrong'?

I've had many a good conversation about this perception, and if a modeler perceives that the workload is too great to correct the correction, then sales will be minimal.

I would like to add another category if I may?

It is one of cost, would you buy this product at $£XXXX, if the answer is yes, then stick to it when it's produced.

D.J.Parkins does it a lot on his website, I prefer that approach and always look for it on others.

Martin of then 'Wingscale' initially suggested a price he'd like to start his projects with and then gauged reactions, it seemed to work quite well?

I wish all manufacturers the best of luck, in these more austere times I think they'll need it! :rolleyes:

Just my tuppence worth!

Roy.

Edited by Royboy

I opted on the no. I love the Phantom, and like the Brit birds, but don't like the idea of chopping up an expensive kit to add what will likely be an expensive conversion set.

Just not my cup of tea, so to speak.

Oh...if its of any use. I've noticed that the C/D and the J model of the Tamiya phantom kits are routinely cheaper than the E model. The E seems to be the always slightly more spendy version. If total costs were an issue this may be a potential factor.

Oh...for the poll I was musing over whether three categories might avoid a skew in your data. Guys who have no interest in jets might vote in category 2 but more accurately might fall into category 3? Meh...just thinking out loud.

1. Would you by one/do you think its a good idea?
  2. Do you think its not a good idea/ wouldn't buy one?
  3. Not relevant to you?

Matty

Matt (and Kev),

I agree...As Captain Picard would say, 'Make it so', and so indeed, I shall!

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I have just completed a FG1 build from the Tamiya J kit. it was all done from scratch except the engines which came from the WH conversion set. From my experience ( project took close to a year!)to keep the cost down, all you would need to supply would be the following: The wider seamless intakes, engines and maybe a large rear plug for the rear underside and a longer nose wheel for the FG1 version. Anyone who is looking to carry out this type of conversion will be experienced in this type of project I would expect. The modeller would need to do alot of cut, tuck, bend, sand etc. Play around with the cockpit. but it would keep the cost down. My build on the Phantom group build page give you an idea what I mean about the rear plug. This is just one way of approaching it, I'm not saying it's the best.

FG1 Build

Thanks for the advice - I have been thinking along similar lines myself, but you have correctly identified which areas really need attention. I remember seeing your FG.1 build and thinking what a wonderful job you did converting it.

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek B

For what it is worth, Dave Klaus told me at the time that when he was in the RAF museum preparing for the Wild Hare kit that he measured the diameter of the FGR nozzles and that was reflected in the kit. And, also for what it is worth, those were the dimensions I used for the conversion article---

FrankMitchell

Thanks Frank...I shall have to re-read them to see what dimensions you gave to them!;)

It is the compressor fan diameter that I really need to know!

Regards

Derek

I think this conversion is a good idea, and would be great for posterity to have out there. But best wishes don't convert to sales, which I think what Derek is trying to gauge here.

The subject falls outside my area of interest, so I voted no.

Steve.

You are - as usual - spot-on Steve, however, I thank you for the good wishes.

Cheers

Derek