1/32 British Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 conversion for the Tamiya F-4J?

Derek B

F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Conversion?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase such a conversion set if it were to be produced?

• Would you by one/do you think its a good idea?
    • Do you think its not a good idea/ wouldn't buy one?
    • Not relevant to you?

Apart from the reasons that I have already discussed for not going ahead with an EMD conversion, this is the other the reason that I have been reluctant to go ahead with the project (I had heard persistant rumours that this may be imminent).

This is great news and I for one am very excited about the prospect of having an IM British Phantom (and hopefully a new J-79 variant as well) in 1/32 scale. I wish HKM good luck with this project, which I am certain will be a terrific success for them.

I think that this thread has come to a ntural conclusion now, so if Jennings doesn't mind, I'll start a new one for the HKM Phantom announcement.

Many thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Only the ones produced since the middle of WWII :)

I only do props - besides the 4 German jets of WWII - but I saw an Academy 1/32 F-14 box last week.

Absolutely massive! It housed three Wingnut Wings kits for a swap I did & had space for a fourth.

It kind of made sense to me why modern jet kits are so expensive - all that plastic costs.

Yes, the Trumpeter 1/32 Tomcats come in their own cardboard suitcase with plastic carry handle.

HKM's Phantom will need a largish box too. Wonder if it'll have complete fuselage mouldings? Looking at their Mossie kit and complex two-stage slide moulded components, there's a fair bit of the F-4 that could be done that way: fwd nose barrel, inlets, upper mid-to-rear fuselage and even inner wing sections joined by a torque box with slots for leading edge BLC flaps.

Regardless, this must be the kit if the decade for many.

Tony

Yes, the Trumpeter 1/32 Tomcats come in their own cardboard suitcase with plastic carry handle.

HKM's Phantom will need a largish box too. Wonder if it'll have complete fuselage mouldings? Looking at their Mossie kit and complex two-stage slide moulded components, there's a fair bit of the F-4 that could be done that way: fwd nose barrel, inlets, upper mid-to-rear fuselage and even inner wing sections joined by a torque box with slots for leading edge BLC flaps.

Regardless, this must be the kit if the decade for many.

Tony

I agree with your assessment here Tony.   This would make it easier to build J-79 F-4's if they decide to offer more then the UK versions.

One would hope that any kit would have complete moldings.  Otherwise you won't be able to build a whole airplane :)

But seriously... since the Spey powered Phantom was almost completely different structurally aft of the production break behind the cockpit from all other Phantoms, there is no commonality with any other Phantom variant.  The design work is still underway, so it's far too early to say how the parts will be broken down.

Yes, I was being stupid. I meant one-piece fuselage mouldings !

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread in light of the HK kit coming but I've been measuring up my Tamiya J and I'm a bit foxed with intake measurements. A bit further back in this thread are pics taken of an FGR2 by Warriormcv with tape measures in them that show the intake width as 44+cms wide, this in 1/32 scale is approx 14mm, now the Tamiya intake is 18mm wide and the Hasegawa 1/48 FGR2 intake is 14mm wide!

To back up the intake measurement (in real life) another thread had measurements from the Boscombe Down aircraft that were in inches, the max intake width was 17.5 inches, around 44cms.

So what is the width of a J79 inlet in real life?

Tailspin Turtles blog has diagrams showing the fuselage increase over a standard Phantom but tape measures don't lie.

So - have I got my measurement conversions and kit dimensions totally wrong (highly likely), is the Tamiya J inlet too wide? Is the Hasegawa inlet too big? Are Brit inlets the same as all other Phantoms (highly unlikely) and the increase in inlet area size is further down the inlet tunnel giving the wider fuselage?

Jennings and HK are probably on this like a rash and have all the answers but I would like to know.

Dave

Purely unscientifically and based on rack of the eye, I've always considered the Spey inlets taller rather than wider and the inlet trunk bigger all the way to a slightly bigger bell-mouth (where it meets the engine).

I, too, would be interested to know. But beware that anything interesting rapidly gets de-threaded by those who only like their tape measure on view.

Tony

Sorry to resurrect this old thread in light of the HK kit coming but I've been measuring up my Tamiya J and I'm a bit foxed with intake measurements. A bit further back in this thread are pics taken of an FGR2 by Warriormcv with tape measures in them that show the intake width as 44+cms wide, this in 1/32 scale is approx 14mm, now the Tamiya intake is 18mm wide and the Hasegawa 1/48 FGR2 intake is 14mm wide!

To back up the intake measurement (in real life) another thread had measurements from the Boscombe Down aircraft that were in inches, the max intake width was 17.5 inches, around 44cms.

So what is the width of a J79 inlet in real life?

Tailspin Turtles blog has diagrams showing the fuselage increase over a standard Phantom but tape measures don't lie.

So - have I got my measurement conversions and kit dimensions totally wrong (highly likely), is the Tamiya J inlet too wide? Is the Hasegawa inlet too big? Are Brit inlets the same as all other Phantoms (highly unlikely) and the increase in inlet area size is further down the inlet tunnel giving the wider fuselage?

Jennings and HK are probably on this like a rash and have all the answers but I would like to know.

Dave

Ya gonna believe me or your lying eyes? The Spey inlet opening was increased in width (by about three inches) but not depth. (The nacelle itself was increased in depth after the opening, possibly to angle the duct at the engine face to match the slightly higher incidence of the installed Spey.) However, the width is not easy to measure and compare. The variable ramp is a bit different (the fixed ramp is slightly wider longitudinally but its forward edge is in the same location), the variable ramp may not be fully closed on both airplanes being measured, the inlet opening on the Spey Phantoms was moved slightly aft (it has to do with the location of the shock off the forward end of the fixed ramp, which is also why the fixed ramp is longer to properly position the shock coming off the front edge of the variable ramp), and the guy holding the tape measure might not measure the inlet lip at exactly the same point horizontally on both aircraft. New measurements are being taken.

Incidentally, I've checked a set of J79 and Spey ramp measurements that has been posted and a couple of dimensions are almost certainly incorrect. All the pertinent meaurements will be redone in the near future.

n.b. I've updated the Spey Phantom post recently: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/05/spey-powered-phantom-changes.html

I believe you Tom, and I can imagine the Tamiya inlets are not totally correct I just couldn't get my head around the differences. Your explanation of the ramp/inlet functions make sense and explain the hunch shoulder of the Brit inlets.

Jennings, I never thought the HKM kit would be based on the Tamiya kit and with all the help they are getting it should be an excellent rendition.

So even if I build the Tamiya kit as an F-4J(UK) It looks like I need new inlets! C'est la vie......

Dave