1/32 British Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 conversion for the Tamiya F-4J?

Derek B

F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Conversion?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase such a conversion set if it were to be produced?

• Would you by one/do you think its a good idea?
    • Do you think its not a good idea/ wouldn't buy one?
    • Not relevant to you?

Thanks Mike. How does the late F-4E differ from what is available in kit form at present? (still learning about this aircraft, so I am curious?).

Cheers

Derek

Simple:

- slat wings (Isracast makes them for the Tamiya - Revell has them)

- some antenna

- some cockpit instrument mods but this becomes complicated as this depends on the block and possible later mods (e.g. ARNIE mods). Revell already depicts a later block.

- possibly the ARNIE system antenna on the spine

- possibly the TISEO camera on the port wing front edge

- later "a-la-F-15" drop tank for the belly station (Revell has one).

Here's a view of the contents of the OOP Cutting edge set for the Tamiya kit.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2/1001-1100/rev1043-CEC32024-Crenshaw/00.shtm

Thierry

Edited by thierry laurent

Simple:

- slat wings (Isracast makes them for the Tamiya - Revell has them)

- some antenna

- some cockpit instrument mods but this becomes complicated as this depends on the block and possible later mods (e.g. ARNIE mods). Revell already depicts a later block.

- possibly the ARNIE system antenna on the spine

- possibly the TISEO camera on the port wing front edge

- later "a-la-F-15" drop tank for the belly station (Revell has one).

Here's a view of the contents of the OOP Cutting edge set for the Tamiya kit.

http://www.aircraftr...renshaw/00.shtm

Thierry

:speak_cool:

Derek

Derek, I forgot one important point deserving some checks:

As the Revell air intakes are noticeably too large, I'm wondering if it would not make sense to compare them with FGR ones...

Hmmm...I didn't know that?...Good point? I hope to have some authenticated dimensions very soon for the correct dimensions for both ends of an F-4K/M Phantom, so I can then make I direct comparison? I'll let you know what I find?

Thanks

Derek

As a Brit and owner of a Tamiya 1/32 Phantom J that wont be started for some time ... I'd be very very interested in this conversion.

I've sold off pretty much all my 1/48 stash including two Phantoms but kept the 1/48 Hasegawa RAF FGR2 back as I guessed there would never be anything like this in 1/32 ... I like to keep my Aircraft all in one scale and 1/32 is the scale I've eventually realised I want to focus on for the rest of my naturals, hope you can pull it off Derek.

You have my vote and order.

As a Brit and owner of a Tamiya 1/32 Phantom J that wont be started for some time ... I'd be very very interested in this conversion.

I've sold off pretty much all my 1/48 stash including two Phantoms but kept the 1/48 Hasegawa RAF FGR2 back as I guessed there would never be anything like this in 1/32 ... I like to keep my Aircraft all in one scale and 1/32 is the scale I've eventually realised I want to focus on for the rest of my naturals, hope you can pull it off Derek.

You have my vote and order.

Thanks Hunter. As soon as I can ascertain some dimensions, I will be in a position to really start looking at how I am going to tackle the conversion, and start cutting some plastic.

Cheers

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh...Phantom days...

PhantomScampton001.jpg

PhantomScampton002.jpg

PhantomScampton.jpg

...Penultimate Phantom FGR.2 on completion of it's 100FI life extension update by British Aerospace (now BAE Systems) at their RAF Scampton facility on 24 July 1991. We completed the last aircraft shortly afterwards...the MOD scrapped the whole Phantom fleet shortly after that!:(.

Derek

Now that I have the authenticated dimensions for the various cold and hot bits of the F-4K/M (actually, measured on an F-4K), I can now start to assess what is required for this conversion and make a start on it soon. The engine front and intakes will be the first area that I shall be concentrating on, then the rest will litterally follow on from there. This will take a fair amount of time to engineer, so please do not expect instant results! (I also have to fit it in around my other more pressing master pattern work).

Cheers

Derek

• 2 years later...

Hi Jax,

I am waiting to authenticate a few more details with Barry (who is carrying out some practical conversion work to check out the theory). The conversion set is in something of a limbo state at present as I have heard that an IM kit may possibly be coming out (I have not seen or heard anything to substantiate this at present), so I do not want to spend what would be huge amount of time, money and effort making a set if that is the case.

I know exactly how I would go about such a conversion set and I would love to have a British F-4 Phantom as much as anyone else here, so I am just keeping my powder dry for the time being.

Regards

Derek