1/32 British Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 conversion for the Tamiya F-4J?

Derek B

F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Conversion?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase such a conversion set if it were to be produced?

• Would you by one/do you think its a good idea?
    • Do you think its not a good idea/ wouldn't buy one?
    • Not relevant to you?

Derek,

Thanks for adding the third option in the poll! I modified my answer from "no" to "not relevant". I do love the Phantom, but the Wild Weasel birds are my passion as opposed to the British Phantoms. Of course, that doesn't mean I would NEVER buy the UK version if you did in fact do one...

I opted on the no. I love the Phantom, and like the Brit birds, but don't like the idea of chopping up an expensive kit to add what will likely be an expensive conversion set.

Just not my cup of tea, so to speak.

I'd second Kevin's sentiments on the topic. I'd like to add the following, but I would likely buy a complete kit of a RN Phantom. So I don't think you can count me as sale for your product.

Derek,

Thanks for adding the third option in the poll! I modified my answer from "no" to "not relevant". I do love the Phantom, but the Wild Weasel birds are my passion as opposed to the British Phantoms. Of course, that doesn't mean I would NEVER buy the UK version if you did in fact do one...

I did the same ,Derek, for the same reason. I too fancy the Wild Weasels........Harv :speak_cool:

100% agree with you Thierry. The only game in town was long time OOP Seamless Sucers intakes set.

Could you send pictures of upgrade parts in new Korean re-issue F-4E kit? I have newer seen this one enven o Ebay.

Pavel

Ok,

Just look here for one example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-Corporation-REVELL-1-32-F-4E-Phantom-II-R-O-K-A-F-Limited-Edition-/320825343133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2ae3c9d

To all:

The diameter of my Wild Hare burners at the junction with the fuselage is 1 9/32" ( and that is what I made mine as well. Let me know if you need any more info---

Frank

Thanks Frank - that makes it approximately 32.5mm, so this helps me assess things a little easier (I may still need a British Phantom to measure up in order to verify the intake size, so I can double check this scale figure).

Thanks

Derek

Derek,

Hi Frank,

No problems - it was a good idea from the Mods. I will be looking at a F-4G Wild Weasle conversion set as well - I just haven't had the time to look at it in detail and decide upon what depth I want to go to on it?

Cheers

Derek

I'd second Kevin's sentiments on the topic. I'd like to add the following, but I would likely buy a complete kit of a RN Phantom. So I don't think you can count me as sale for your product.

Fully understood. Cost is a major issue here, so those who really want a British Phantom will be OK with the conversion set, but others, such as yourself, would prefer to wait for a full kit, which I am sure will see the light of day from some source eventually - thanks for taking the time to vote and adding your comments.

Best regards

Derek

I did the same ,Derek, for the same reason. I too fancy the Wild Weasels........Harv :speak_cool:

Hi Harv,

As I said to Frank (Daywalker's) post, I will be looking at an F-4G conversion set as well in terms of a potential future release, although I have not really had chance to look at the whole thing in detail yet?

Cheers

Derek

I'd definitely buy one conversion set for the K/M. I'm not interested in the Wild Weasel, but a B conversion would find a nice home with me!

Stein

Thanks Stein :)

So far, I intend to make the F-4K/M conversion, the F-4G conversion and the F-4B conversion, plus various other Phantom upgrade and accessories parts.

Cheers

Derek

The Spey compressor fan is a similar case in point. Dependant upon which source you care to read, the diameter of the Spey is either 32.5" (25.7mm in 1/32) or 43" (34.13mm in 1/32)? Intakes are another; the books quote an increase in area of 20% on the Spey Phantom aircraft. Some drawing vary in terms of size and shape for these intakes, which makes me wonder whether or not they have inreased the intake sizes by only 10% or 20% on each side?

Hi Derek, just a few random observations which may or may not assist. Having been inspired by Frank's Spey Phantom conversions here on LSP, I invested in a Tamiya F-4J. If however you can make your conversion work for the considerably cheaper Revell option - great! I started off considering Frank's method, but grew wary of the 'silicone enhanced' look of the intakes, which didn't improve much even if the wedge insert was taken as far back as the flap hinge line. Further study of photos showed the intake plan view contours to be generally similar to a standard J79 engined version, only wider. I therefore mapped the fuselage contours of the 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J and FGR2 and found that the whole intake trunking/engine bay assembly needs to be separated and re-attached to give a 6 inch width increase on each side (while retaining the existing wingspan). The 6 inch (full scale) width increase will yield the 20% increase in intake frontal area. At this point I'm stuck until I can get full-size measurements for the flaps and aileron sizes of the F-4J and FGR2 for comparison. The Spey intake ramps also differ slightly, and have completely different perforation patterns to the J79 versions.

Once I am 100% certain of the correct dimensions, I will then have the basis I need to proceed with the conversion (the rest of the aircraft is built around these size increases, so they need to be correct!). Cheers Derek

One thing that Frank missed is that the max circumference of the Spey jet nozzles drop down to almost in line with the upper line of the beefed-up arrestor hook recess, and that a deeper double-skinned titanium keel was added. This can be seen as the dark metal area underneath the bright angled Inconel X steel panels leading from the engine bay vents above the jet nozzles to the stabilator hinge panels.F-4K+Tail+Below+copy.JPG

On 1/9/2012 at 11:51 AM, Chek said:

Hi Derek, just a few random observations which may or may not assist. Having been inspired by Frank's Spey Phantom conversions here on LSP, I invested in a Tamiya F-4J. If however you can make your conversion work for the considerably cheaper Revell option - great! I started off considering Frank's method, but grew wary of the 'silicone enhanced' look of the intakes, which didn't improve much even if the wedge insert was taken as far back as the flap hinge line. Further study of photos showed the intake plan view contours to be generally similar to a standard J79 engined version, only wider. I therefore mapped the fuselage contours of the 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J and FGR2 and found that the whole intake trunking/engine bay assembly needs to be separated and re-attached to give a 6 inch width increase on each side (while retaining the existing wingspan). The 6 inch (full scale) width increase will yield the 20% increase in intake frontal area. At this point I'm stuck until I can get full-size measurements for the flaps and aileron sizes of the F-4J and FGR2 for comparison. The Spey intake ramps also differ slightly, and have completely different perforation patterns to the J79 versions.

One thing that Frank missed is that the max circumference of the Spey jet nozzles drop down to almost in line with the upper line of the beefed-up arrestor hook recess, and that a deeper double-skinned titanium keel was added. This can be seen as the dark metal area underneath the bright angled Inconel X steel panels leading from the engine bay vents above the jet nozzles to the stabilator hinge panels.F-4K+Tail+Below+copy.JPG

Thanks Chek,

Useful information (I would like to see your fuselage mapping?). I am beginning to have a feeling that the intakes were enlarged by displacing them 6" outwards from the splitter plates to obtain the required 20% increase in mass airflow. How far back this extension went is my next concern? Looking at the plan view of the standard F-4J, the intakes describe a steady curve from the front, going aft to a point about mid fuselge, were the sides are nearly parallel. This is much furter aft than most AM resin kit seamless intakes go, so it my assumption that the British Phantom intake are also enlarged to this point, then follow the standatd fuselage shape in a near parallel line to the jet pipes. This also makes sense from an aircraft engineering point of view. The strongest part of the aircraft is most likely between the wing front and rear spars and corresponding fuselage cross spars. You would normally not wish to alter this area if you could help it, so and fuselage increase in area would be best before this point - which it does. Likewise, the same applies aft of the rear spar, which is where the lower fuselage angles down towards the Spey jet pipes. My conclusion therefore is that the centre fuselage of the F-4K/M will - to all extents and purposes, be idetical to that of the F-4J aircraft, with the fuselage alterations only occurring fore and aft of the wing spars.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

So far, I intend to make the F-4K/M conversion, the F-4G conversion and the F-4B conversion, plus various other Phantom upgrade and accessories parts.

Your words are like heavenly tunes to my ears

Jozef

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Fixed quoting issues

Were the intakes really 20% larger? Compare these photographs;

FGR21.jpg

F-4EIAI1.jpg

FGR2conversion.jpg

I think you could get away with producing a set of seamless intakes, as per D-Mold & Rhino, with the slight increase in size, no cutting needed! Regards the cans, I'm hoping to get to Hendon in a couple of weeks, so will take a tape measure with me and see what I can get away with using my Northern Charm ® ...

The less surgery the more likely the set is to sell.